Cars and Coffee Biloxi Summer 2018 June 10th | FerrariChat

Cars and Coffee Biloxi Summer 2018 June 10th

Discussion in 'South Central - USA (TN, MS, AL, GA)' started by piratepress, Jun 7, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. piratepress

piratepress Formula Junior

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
  2. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
  3. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    Do they still do Cruising the Coast down there?

4. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Yes, but it has gotten so huge that traffic congestion is a major problem. It's also geared more towards old hot rods and muscle cars than exotics.

https://cruisinthecoast.com/

5. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The last time I drove on Hwy 90 through there was about a year after Katrina. Still total devastation then... how's it going now?

6. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Like New Orleans, everything has rebuilt and is thriving! In fact, I'd almost say that the area has recovered too well. Hotel rates for the area have skyrocketed, and it's not uncommon to see tourists from nearly every state here in the summer. The demand makes it hard for locals such as myself to get an affordable room, with many charging over $300 daily.

7. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Sounds great (rebuilt and thriving), is the summer gridlock as bad as Destin? What's the pre-season like (April-May)?

8. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Summer gridlock is similar to Destin. Due to our warm weather, the tourist season usually runs from Spring Break until Labor Day. Therefore, our pre-season would be considered January-February, with Spring Break starting in early March.

9. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    I remember back in the late 90s/early 00s, there was a guy from Gautier who had a red Testarossa and black Daytona convertible replica who'd bring them to Cruisin the Coast. For me, it was always the highlight of the show. Growing up in Ocean Springs, I didn't see fcars too often!

I moved away in 2006 and haven't been back since visiting in 2014 but even then things were really starting to pick up, especially OS downtown area and the Walmart D'berville area. A lot of the families whom I keep in touch with have moved north of i-10 to Vancleave/Wiggins areas to get away from the congestion.

I should make a trip down, if only to get some Tato Nut. Best donuts ever!

10. piratepress

May 18, 2009
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Chip A.
    Yes, Tato-Nut is legendary, and I ate at The Shed tonight in Vancleave. I have lived north of I-10 in Hurley for the past 40 years. Since Katrina in 06, there has been a huge population explosion due to everyone moving away from the coast. Back in 2000, there was a guy who owned a 308 in Hurley for a couple years, but that's it.

11. FastLapp

FastLapp F1 Rookie

Mar 18, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Full Name:
    James
    The Shed's good. We'd took our little skiff all the way up the bayou and eat there occasionally. Not sure if you can do that anymore since I hear a lot of the canals filled in.

Believe it or not, there were actually two Ferrari's (plus a Lamborghini Countach replica) in the neighborhood I grew up in (Gulf Hills), which is quite unusual since we weren't wealthy by any means. There was a 308 GTSi owned by a gentleman who ran a car dealership in Ocean Springs. Then there was a 348ts right down the road from me, which was the first Ferrari I ever rode in (120+ mph on I-10 when I was 12 years old, which in retrospect was super dangerous but pretty awesome at the time). That was owned by a French Canadian builder/general contractor. He also owned a blue Porsche 911 4S and would give me rides regularly. Then he disappeared for a while and his house sat empty. After moving out of MS, I saw an article in the Sun Herald which said his wife was arrested for forging checks and, in a bizarre twist, his other house in Vancleave (nice property, with horse stables, which I had visited a few times) burned down, with his wife inside. The coroner's report suspected foul play but I never found out more. Crazy stuff - made me realize at a young age that people's lives aren't all they seem on the outside.