News

Cars being impounded because of out of state plates

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by 1monza, Sep 7, 2019.

1. 1monza

1monza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    During the Monterey weekend this year. A friend of mine, a resident from Oregon driving a Porsche with Oregon plates was pulled over by the CHP. They told him they were pulling over cars with out of state plates. Supposedly several Lamborghinis' and McLarens were impounded being accused of CA state tax evasion. They were accused of registering cars out of state to avoid paying the CA registration fees and taxes. Anybody else hear this and have more info?

2. To remove this ad click here.

3. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Sounds about right! Honestly, there is nothing this state won't do. Get dealer plates and call it a day! While it's still legal

GTUnit likes this.
  4. RonH

RonH Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    At a cars and coffee on the Labor Day weekend I saw a guy with a 330 cab with Montana plates. I did not detect any road grime on his car given his very recent grueling drive from Montana! It was all shiny and pretty.

Everybody knows the Montana sales tax/registration fee scam. I am sure California cops know it too. So I would think a rare car with Montana plates would be like catnip to cats for them.

Also, there is the insurance issue. Is the owner insuring the car as located in Montana? If he is and has an accident, you know that the insurance company will be looking for an out, especially on a multi million dollar claim if the car is a total loss. If he is telling the insurance company the truth about the location, that is exhibit A in his fight with the great State of California when they seize the car.

I don't think I would be making such a gamble with a multi million dollar car.

5. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Out of state car is ok with: out of state driver's license, address, insurance, plates and hopefully a state not too far away as you clearly commute!

6. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed Owner

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Insurance companies, at least USAA, don't care where the car is registered. The car is insured and they know all the details already.

I've used Montana registration for things before, things that aren't obvious and overt and never had an issue. For my 360, I'm paying the sales tax and registering it in Tennessee. No sense sticking it in their eye.

7. To remove this ad click here.

8. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Call it what you want, if it's registered legit and you have residence or a business in that state your good

I have cars registered on both coasts, sometimes the cars are on reversed coasts.

Never seen a law out of state plates are illegal except maybe down south for Calli plates LOL

9. RonH

RonH Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I dont disagree as long as you have a “real” residence or business in the state of registration. The problem arises when someone creates a “sham” residence or business for the purpose of justifying the state of registration. This is the typical structure of the Montana scheme where somebody creates an LLC in Montana for the sole purpose of owning and registering the car in Montana and has no other connection with the state. Here is an article that discusses that. The same logic applies to registration in other states of convenience as well.

https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of-the-montana-license-plate-scam-1711216059

10. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    So. Cal
    Its no wonder people are leaving this state in droves.!
    If these vehicles that have been impounded were minding their own business this is nothing short of harassment.!
    Cant wait to move out!

RWP137 and Testarossa Sean like this.
  11. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I went to car week in Montery in my 458 with Montana plates and had several CHP behind me as we were in a rally from LA to car week and no issues.

Now if I got pulled for speeding maybe they would question me.

12. To remove this ad click here.

13. RonH

RonH Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    I suspect you got lucky because the CHP is generally well aware of the out of state plate registration scam and Montana is the poster child for that. If you don't think the CHP cares, here is the CHP web site to report cheaters.

https://www.chp.ca.gov/notify-chp/cheaters-out-of-state-(out-of-state-registration-violators)

Note the lead in statement is: “Did you know that the State of California loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries?”

14. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    FWIW, CA is not unique. Plenty of states do this.

SonomaRik likes this.
  15. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed Owner

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Legally out of state vehicle and even out of the country vehicles can be driven in CA for 30 days, after that you have to show proof of residency or business.

dochemi, BOKE and SonomaRik like this.
  16. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    “Did you know that the State of California loses millions of dollars a year in revenue from California residents who unlawfully register their vehicles in other states or countries?”

But how many millions do they make by taxing the used cars to death and raping everybody on gas, tickets, registration, tolls, tows, etc. Yeah, a 250 GTO sells for $70million of course they want their $7,000,000 in sales tax. Of course at that point you probably wouldn't worry about the $

17. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    The other option, of course, is to restore some degree of sanity to this state and replace the lunatics in Sacramento with adults.

18. RonH

RonH Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2016
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Unfortunately not a real option. CA is lurching further and further left and imposing higher and higher taxes. Not likely to change anytime soon.

Just look at SF, the training ground for most of the current senior state politicians, including the governor. Used to be a great city to go for a weekend get away. Now the politicians have turned it into a homeless encampment/sanctuary city that you have a decent chance of being robbed or killed in while you wend you way through the piles of garbage in Union Square. My worry is they will make the state one big SF (we are already a “sanctuary state”). I know this sounds like “P&R” but how is any of it not factually correct?

AtSomePoint and GTUnit like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sfo is still safe and easy to navigate via car or on foot. Same as always.

TAS37 likes this.
  20. 1monza

1monza Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    In SF, you just need to watch where you step.

21. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Never happen. In 2011 when Jerry Brown was brought back for his second rein of terror we knew California had passed the tipping point and was not coming back. The demographics had changed too much. That is when we started our exit plan. After 58 years we left and feel the kind of relief you feel when swimming away from a sinking ship. You ain't seen nothing yet. I went back to Nor Cal for the first time in 5 years recently and couldn't believe how bad it is.

fondueski and RWP137 like this.
  22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And in fact CHP has been doing it for quite a few years at the behest of Sacramento.