Cars being impounded because of out of state plates | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cars being impounded because of out of state plates

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by 1monza, Sep 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    I've never understood this. Registration is a tax for using the road. Every car should be taxed the same. If you want to vary it for the size of the vehicle, that's fine. But pegging what is essentially a road usage fee to the value of the car is absurd.

Someone in an 288 GTO probably uses the roads, highways and bridges (that registration fees pay for) far less than a driver in a Hyundai. Why should they pay more?

This state gov't does suck.

ZF123, Wittlebit, Condor Man and 4 others like this.
  2. 1monza

1monza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2005
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Norbert Hofer
    With in billions $$$ all the different taxes the state of Calif. takes in you would think we would have better roads then Baghdad. I think Los Angeles spends more money on the homeless then they do on our road infrastructure.

3. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Spot on.!
    Our roads are terrible you can witness the difference when driving through other bordering states..not mentioned is the amount of garbage scattered everywhere on the open freeways and side streets.. I guess since we dont have penalty's for todays bad behavior which includes stealing under $950.00 and riding your bicycle out the door with zero penalty's there is no one to pick up the trash.
    This is all a dam shame because CA is a beautiful state with allot of potential...like the old saying goes if you want to know why a state/country is in termoil just look all the way to the top and don't forget to follow the money I promise you'll find most of your answers.
    I pray for a better CA it deserves nothing less.

4. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I am from NY. We pay federal tax, state tax and NYC tax. I have no problem paying taxes where I live. Problem I have is how the tax dollars gets wasted for political reasons. People paying these hefty taxes not dont get the benefit of taxes paid but they get even punished more by people hired by NYC for the sole purpose of fining hard working people to collect even more money.

5. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Thank you Red 27.....now that would open the door to some real positive change :)

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    So move or change the laws then - those are the laws of the state and just because you're rich with a 288gto doesn't mean it should be fine to break them. $1300 a year on a $200k car does not seem out of line tbh, I pay more in VA in personal property (ie car/boat/rv) taxes every year. It's not great to stroke that check but that's the total cost of ownership and part of living here. I get a lot more pissed when I see a Montana plate on a car here and know they're raising what I have to pay by breaking the law. Tax dodgers and the like are just as much a scum as any other common thief, they pull the money out of pockets of those that obey the law and should be punished accordingly. Saying it's too expensive to legally register a car and then registering it in Montana instead is no different to me than looking at a rolex, saying it's too expensive, and then coming back and stealing it. It's premeditated theft either way.

lkstaack, decampos, PenP and 5 others like this.
  7. NTRLOPER

NTRLOPER Karting

Mar 3, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Kerry
    I don't mind the taxes as much as the smog restrictions. Depending on the car it's virtually impossible to bring unqualified cars into CA without major modification, if at all. Unfortunately in today's day and age of "green" politics, I don't see any politician challenging smog regulations just to allow some car folks to bring what are typically expensive cars into the state without dealing with smog regulations. Different but related problem and another rationale I've heard for the Montana plates.

Shervinator likes this.
  8. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    A long while coming back into California from Parker , AZ, the Welcome to Ca sign had " NOW BEND OVER " spray painted on it !! lol . I have lived in SO Cal for 35 years, and I have come out better than the state when it comes to them getting my taxes , when I spend 100 k, which is my budget , on my next car , I will pay the taxes and try not to complain about it lol . I will most likely pay cash for the car, out of state, get the title and fill out the DMV form , putting 15,000 as the sale price, I do that with my new bikes, and those idiots do not know the difference. No one at the DMV knows what a 288 GTO is, why in Gods name would you write down 2.8 million as the sale price ? Same goes for a 70 million GTO, If you write down 17,000, thats what they will tax you on . The idiot doing the VIN inspections has nothing to do with the registration costs, and your title does not indicate the price.

Thank you

ferrame likes this.
  9. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Ah yes, a used car that has been taxed time and again! They love $ in Ca and they are very diligent to ensure nobody can make any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Gino, its just another way to commit “tax fraud” (you know what the actual purchase price is and lie about it to evade paying taxes). If you are ok with the potential criminal consequences to you—potential jail time, fines, record, not being able to travel overseas, your fellow prisoners moving away from you (ala Alice’s Restaurant)—go ahead and knock yourself out.

By the way, as has been pointed out before, the taxing authorities follow these threads (that is how they caught some RVers in past news articles) and it is not hard to track you down since you are a registered user here. Seems like you have admitted that you have already done it on your bikes and you intend to do it in the future as well and then you throw down the gauntlet and call the tax people that will be looking at these treads “idiots”. Good luck with that! You may want to look at the thread that talks about what the Georgia authorities did to catch tax cheats. They interview one of the Georgia tax authorities on how they find people—they pretty much got you covered! ;)

EastMemphis, TTR and ginoBBi512 like this.
  11. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Lots of Politics happening here. Remember, talking about state regulations and such is fine but bringing in politics etc is not allowed outside of P&R.

TestShoot likes this.
  12. Pastaboy1980

Pastaboy1980 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra

So true if they put this speeding law in place definitely living ca garbage state

13. Pastaboy1980

Pastaboy1980 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2023
    Rolling Hills
    Full Name:
    Fra
    perfectly legal to drive an out of state car in ca

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    True! That's why I drive a truck as daily. Roads are marginally better than dirt. Even ex-gov Schwarzenegger had to fix his own pothole by his house. Local government got all over him. His reply...then fix the road!