Cars that Porsche has helped design for other manufacturers? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cars that Porsche has helped design for other manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Porsche' started by Ryan S., May 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

This, from Wikipedia, is slightly different from my previuous post.
    I was quoting from the book "Tatra, the Hans Ledwinka Legacy" by Dan Margulies.

"Both Hitler and Porsche were influenced by the Tatras. Hitler was a keen automotive enthusiast, and had ridden in Tatras during political tours of Czechoslovakia. He had also dined numerous times with Hans Ledwinka. After one of these dinners Hitler remarked to Porsche, "This is the car for my roads". while the book Car Wars, quotes Hitler as saying it was "the kind of car I want for my highways". In any case, of Ledwinka, Porsche admitted "Well, sometimes I looked over his shoulder and sometimes he looked over mine" while designing the Volkswagen. There is no doubt that the Beetle bore a striking resemblance to the earlier Tatra. Tatra launched a lawsuit, but this was stopped when Germany invaded Czechoslovakia. At the same time, Tatra was forced to stop producing the T97. The matter was re-opened after World War II and in 1965 Volkswagen paid Ringhoffer-Tatra 1,000,000 Deutsche Marks in an out of court settlement."

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
  3. SamuliS

SamuliS Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2008
    Finland, Helsinki
    Full Name:
    Samuli S
    Lada Samara's engine got help from Porsche. They also used Lada Samara T3 that was Porsche 959 based Paris-Dakar "off road" race car.

4. mac109

mac109 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Connecticut/Florida
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #29 mac109, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. jerhofer

jerhofer Formula Junior

Jul 10, 2013
    Rockwell, NC
    Full Name:
    Jerry Forthofer
    Porsche designed the Cisitalia F1 car that never ran a race. The money from this contract was used to ransom Dr. Porsche from a French prison where he was detained for war crimes with the Nazi's. This was a mid engine car that was years ahead of its time as the move to mid engine F1 cars did not occur for another 15 years or so.

https://ranwhenparkeddotnet.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/1946_47_cisitalia_01.jpg

While Porsche did not design the plane, they worked closely with Mooney on the installation of the 911 motor in their plane.

http://www.ridelust.com/wp-content/uploads/mooney-m20l-engine-500x375.jpg

6. RBM

RBM Formula Junior

Nov 22, 2009
    Full Name:
    RBM
    Porsche designed the cockpits for Airbus' A300 series of aircraft back in the '80s.

7. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    They should've bought them instead :)