Catalist question | FerrariChat

Catalist question

Discussion in '308/328' started by krisdisk, Oct 2, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. krisdisk

krisdisk Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2009
    Flanders Belgium
    Full Name:
    Kris De Bruyne
    Hi guys, I've got a easy question, and hopefully I'll get an easy answer. Here goes: since I own my 308, I always found the car made all sorts of noise, like tiny explosions while running. The car now had a major service but the noise is still there. Now I think it might have something to do with the cats that were replaced with straight pipes. Does anyone had simular experiences?

Also what are my options? My guess is reinstalling new (or used cats), but what if I want to keep the straight pipes? Will I have to change the camshafts?

Thanks for your advice guys!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Can't comment on the "tiny explosions" but the exhaust sound level is louder with a straight pipe than with a cat. Perhaps you are just hearing the sound from the absence of a cat? I sort of liken it to the muscle cars where, typically, the exhaust manifolds were replaced with headers. The sound changed considerably, adding a "rickety-tick" sound to the exhaust note. Essentially, removing the Cat removes some muffling so that MIGHT be the cause of the sound difference.

Could you record/post a video with the sound of the engine/exhaust?

3. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Not seeing how changing camshafts would be part of the equation.

4. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I heard it on mine with a tubi test pipe. Mostly when I lifted the throttle at speed.

It's gone with my Hyperflow.

You can leave your cams alone. No worries with them either way.