Catalyst Failure? | FerrariChat

Catalyst Failure?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Fabspeed Motorsport, Oct 4, 2023.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Swapping the catalytic converters of your Ferrari is extremely important considering the potential risks of failure. Damaged or clogged catalytic converters can lead to reduced performance, increased emissions, and even engine damage. As a Ferrari owner, you want to ensure that your vehicle is operating at its peak, and that includes the catalytic converters.

When it comes to finding the best alternative for replacing your Ferrari's catalytic converters, look no further than Fabspeed Motorsport. We have been a leading provider of high-performance exhaust systems and components for over 25 years. Our team of experts has the knowledge and experience necessary to provide the highest-quality replacement catalytic converters for your Ferrari.

Our HJS 200cel catalytic converters are designed to provide maximum flow and performance while maintaining compliance with emissions regulations. They use only the highest quality materials and manufacturing processes to ensure that their products are built to last. Plus, our catalysts are backed by a lifetime warranty, giving you the peace of mind that you deserve as a Ferrari owner.

So if you're in need of new catalytic converters for your Ferrari, don't settle for anything less than the best. Contact us today to learn more about our 360 & F430 products and services, and to see how we can help you get the most out of your Ferrari.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    Truly can't beat this sound!

Sean Chen likes this.
  3. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    hessank likes this.
  4. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    John,

Do these cats have the DOT stamp on them? If they do that is great. If not they won't pass the visual section of Emissions tests regardless of how well they perform.

5. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    These cat's are TUV-approved, but are sadly not CARB-certified. We are currently navigating those hoops, and hope to have that finished by year end.

6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    John,

TUV is about the manufacturing process not the compliance. Consider:

Who certifies an aftermarket catalytic converter?
    • An aftermarket catalytic converter must be certified by either the E.P.A. or the C.A.R.B. before it can legally be sold and installed on a vehicle in the United States.
    The reason I am pointing this out is that Ferrari of Washington DC bounced my F355 out of the visual part of the Emissions inspection because it had Fabspeed cats on it with no DOT markings (they had passed the Fabspeed cats for 5 years prior). With full disclosure ......Fabspeed had sold me the cats with the understanding they did not have a DOT certification. In retrospect.....it would have been better to have my old Ferrari ones re-cored so that they would have passed the visual test. I am very happy with the Fabspeed cats I have and they do not trip any codes.

You just want to be careful.......the EPA is all over sellers of non-OEM cats. That's why they added the visual inspection of DOT markings to the Virginia Emissions Inspection.

7. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Are current Fabspeed CATs EPA-certified? Not on my 430, but was thinking about buying their upgraded X-Pipe/Cats for my Porsche

8. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S

EU-built street-use catalytic converters are required to comply with Euro emissions standards, once thoroughly tested they are given a TUV and Euro 6 compliance number. Of which, both are printed on our cores.

While EU emissions standards are much more strict than the EPA the process for approval in the US is still extraordinarily lengthy and costs an arm and a leg. As we utilize dozens of sizes and diameter cores, each has to be individually verified.

As I mentioned we have been working with the EPA directly to navigate all necessary steps, but as you can see from all US manufacturers, it is not an easy feat. They have recognized the HJS cores we use do clean the exhaust gasses to the level of OEM or better, but that is unfortunately far from the goal line.

I appreciate your interest in the matter and hope you've been enjoying the use of your cats up until the recent hurdles. As you mentioned, our cores will absolutely pass emissions sniffer, and OBD tests, however, they will fail if you live in a state that requires visual inspection (due to the aforementioned reason). For those that do live in more stringent states, we do absolutely offer re-cores of factory cats for all Ferraris from the F40 to modern.

INRange likes this.