Cavallino Classic - New Owner | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Cavallino Classic - New Owner

Discussion in 'Events Discussion' started by Rossocorsa1, Dec 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Thank you for dispelling this myth, and you know I speak from the exact experience you reference.

2. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The last thing they should do is move it away from the Breakers.

3. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    Things don't always end up the way they start out! I have not been in many years and am not trying to criticize people in this forum.

I have been to Monterey week many times. One of my great memories is when my dad and I drove from LA to Monterey on the 101 in my '89 Maserati biturbo spyder in 1998. We showed it at Concorso Italiano and had a wonderful time. So many of the spectators at Pebble Beach seemed to be there to be seen, not see the cars.

I also went to the Detroit Grand Prix III & V, back when Bernie was running Brabham. For $150 my dad and I got deluxe photo passes which granted us access to the garage, pits, and the other side of the concrete/fenced barriers. My programs are filled with autographs. Where can a kid and his father get that kind of access today?

All I am saying is that Bernie and Montezemolo both deliberately set out to separate their product from the common folk to be (exclusively) for the rich and famous. Of course, their business model was an overwhelming success, but the arrogant attitude it spawned has always gnawed at me, which I have experienced many times! I remained respectful, I NEER once touched a car I was admiring. I was one of the fans events hoped to attract. Yes, I do have a chip on my shoulder, not because I am still common class, but because I am still a fan and I know what it was like before things became exclusive...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Dad and I by Senna's Toleman. Piquet won the III in a BMW turbo Brabham. Senna came back to win the V in a Lotus.

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Great photo and cherished memories. There’s nothing wrong with being fond of how things “once were”. But, do yourself a favor and enjoy things as they are, because they’re still pretty fabulous. There was once a time you could walk up to the front door of the White House and request a meeting with the President. Things evolve. As for Cavallino, everything is there for all attendees to enjoy. Same for the Pebble Beach Concours. Why deprive yourself just because things change? And, yes, you do kind of have a chip on your shoulder. There’s nothing wrong with the wealthy having exclusive access to certain things. That’s one thing that will never change. I’m a capitalist, so I say, “big deal”. That shouldn’t be a reason why you don’t allow yourself the pleasure of enjoying your passion.

67bmer likes this.
  5. 67bmer

67bmer Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2015
    MD
    SORRY, I didn't intend to project a negative attitude.

In February 2020 I got to see my first rocket launch with my work aboard. We barely know of Covid at the time! Two weeks later, I was the only non Asian with a mask on in the grocery store. Two weeks later, masks were required for everyone and everything was shut down in my state.

Covid deprived me of 2020. I will not let it deprive me of 2021. I can't wait to get out and get going again!! Life is too short not to enjoy what we have.

In 2021 I want to be smarter, fitter, happier, richer. I hope to meet everyone sooner than later!

6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #31 Nembo1777, Jan 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    The Breakers IS the Classic. Its shrine, its stage.

I thought of doing a concours at the Biltmore in Coral Gables back in 2003 or 2004 when a private banker approached me but it turns out the golf course around it is city and they don't like the idea of a concours at all. Same for Villa Vizcaya the new young manager hated it; he actually made a face of revulsion at the very idea during a meeting... In Geneva (Switzerland) same thing the Parc des Eaux Vives a superb lake side location has a great restaurant the Auberge...but the grounds, which would be absolutely perfect, are owned by the city of Geneva, real commies who wanted to shut down the Cologny golf course minutes away to build low rent apartment buildings...so zero chance of a concours permit.

There is nowhere else in south Florida which would have the prestige and history of the Breakers. It is incomparable to some recent faceless golf resort.

7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

As has the purveyor of every luxury good ever made. Its called product positioning and in the case of Ferrari the single individual most responsible for the creation of that attitude was Enzo himself. It is quite literally how he built the company.

Getting back to the actual topic I do not recall Bernie or Luca ever putting on one of the shows we are speaking of so I am at a loss to understand how it is germain.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Having been quite heavily involved/invested with the hobby and business of the (vintage) cars, including variety of makes/models besides Ferrari, for about 4 decades, I can certainly appreciate the camaraderie, enthusiasm and fellow-/friendships associated with these or other (vintage) car events around the world, but with my rather limited means (time & $$) to attend all adventures/events I'd like to, including those related to my passions outside the car world, I'm forced choose between many, very very carefully.

Like I've said before, I wouldn't mind attending Cavallino, but it's not near the top of my "must do" list, at least not yet.

I hear you and understand there often/usually are other activities included with events like these, but since I'm not personally into tracking my cars per se and have heard/read comments, perhaps inaccurate, of quite limited attendance of cars I would personally find interesting, spectating at the track doesn't seem as "inviting".
    I admittedly haven't visited south Florida for over 20 years, let alone toured the area by car, but somehow have difficulties, perhaps incorrectly again, envisioning (m)any scenic routes there for exiting/spirited driving tours, especially for (vintage) sports cars.
    Airport hangar/boat slip cocktail parties don't intrigue me much either, I usually skip them in Monterey also.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I hope the Vizcaya manager is out of a job. So he doesn’t like car shows, I get it....although he’s ignorant....there’s no excuse at all for demeaning somebody’s idea like a juvenile especially since he’s representing one of the premier venues in the state.

10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Me too. He was fresh out of NYC with prejudiced views of Florida and had this vision that it was going to be a Miami vice show with Juanita strippers on the cars, I explained absolutely not, showed photos of the top concours but he was a lost cause. On top of that my potential event sponsor private banker actually organized an event at Villa Vizcaya, a black tie grand evening, cocktail dinner yet that did not make any difference...