Cavallino magazine | FerrariChat

Cavallino magazine

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 250GTE, Jun 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 250GTE

250GTE Karting

Mar 21, 2004
    Apologies if this is a repost...my current subscription ends at #250. I went to renew and discovered the subscription prices for 1 and 2 years have gone up considerably to $80.00 and $150.00 respectively. It appears the number of issues per year will remain the same, but beginning with #250 (per their website), there will be more content/pages in each magazine.

Not sure if I will continue at this point...not so much the money...just tired of being nickel and dimed on everything, now its my magazine...end of rant :)

readplays likes this.
  2. SamoanAttorney

Sep 24, 2015
    It is common knowledge that paper, printing and distribution costs have gone through the roof in recent months, though I take your point that $80 from $48 is a bit steep.

I doubt that the writers or photographers are getting rich though....nor the publishers...

3. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    My current subscription to Cavallino also expires with #250. The renewal notice that I have (received about two months ago) says $46.00 for one year and $85.00 for two years.

4. SamoanAttorney

Sep 24, 2015
    Perhaps the other price is for the Collector's Edition....

Sharknose and Lusso123 like this.
  5. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    My subscription expires at the same time and I received the same notice. If they are no longer willing to honor it, that will be my cue to quit Cavallino. In my opinion, the magazine's format has become formulaic and stale. For some years, I have only continued to subscribe as I have every issue going back to 1978. Problem is, complete sets of Cavallino don't sell for what they once did, so my willingness to pay to maintain the set is similarly reduced. I suspect that, much like the Cavallino Classic event that was discussed in another thread, the new management under Canossa is looking to take the magazine in a direction that I am not particularly interested in going.

Redfunbe likes this.
  6. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Will, it appears you're right. The Cavallino.com website confirms a one year subscription at $80.00.

Addio Cavallino . . . .

7. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    I have had a subscription for over 15 years. Since Canossa took over Cavallino the magazine has shrunk to half the size and full page advertisements have increased. So now they claim that there will be more content and additional pages and the cost will increase by 60%?? Cost of production has not increased to that degree. Seems a bit sketchy to me and I see so much of this happening accross many industries today. People can see through this BS.

My subscription runs through 2024. I guess we will see going forward but this scenario is exactly what lead to me cancelling my Forza subscription a few years ago.

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is said #250 (August 2022) will have 50 pages more........
    Maybe more about yachts, private jets, wrist watches, expensive hotels, food, fashion, lifestyle and the like?
    Something like TOFM?

Marcel Massini

9. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Hopefully not and it would be very sad if they went down this road.

ggjjr and Nembo1777 like this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Well, chefs need exposure and have to get paid also…

Full disclosure: While I’ve had a subscription for a long time, I can’t remember last time I even leafed through an issue.
    Same with several other magazines I receive, since most, including Ferrari related, are so boringly superficial with their “articles”, while nearly half or more of the print area is just advertising.
    Who has time for or needs that much brain damage ?
    So perhaps it’s time to let my subscriptions lapse too and spend the money on something useful instead ?

In all fairness, I do believe in capitalism and if any business, including magazines are able to justify and manage or even expand their business model by increased pricing of their products or services, who am I to question it ?

trashidelek! likes this.
  11. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    I love the Klemantaski collection ad with «
    Enzo Ferrari and Aurelio Lambredi discuss the new 375 MM Berlinetta » caption.
    The car pictured is a 250 MM !! :confused:

Wojo, readplays and Jack-the-lad like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Oh man, you are soooo picky........
    99.9999999% of the "readers" have zero idea anyway, so, who cares?

Marcel Massini

readplays and moriaan1 like this.
  13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    :D:D:D

readplays likes this.
  14. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    If that happens my complete set will end with the current subscription. I’m hoping that the quality and size will improve and that they will resist the temptation to turn into a “lifestyle” publication. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of Canossa event coverage and back scratching with RM Sotheby’s, etc. It may become a self-promoting house organ instead of a journal of Ferrari history.

15. Llenroc

Llenroc F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 9, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Vern
    I have subscribed to this mag since 1988 because of the format and intention. I’m with you on this; if it turns out the way you describe(and I believe you are correct) I’m done. Maybe I’m getting old but I get tired of everything changing to this business model of collecting advertising dollars first and useless content. I quit watching cable TV for the same reason; you forget what you are watching because there are too many ads.

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #16 Marcel Massini, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    The new Cavallino 250, exactly as expected, tons of additional ads, and even an unnecessary story about (chief cook) Massimo Bottura's wife...............what does that have to do with Cavallino and classic Ferraris?
    So sad.
    See also post #8.
    Canossa intends to increase production/print run from 5'000 to 50'000 copies (per issue).

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #17 Marcel Massini, Jul 30, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
    Browsing thru the new issue #250, it has a total of 124 pages.
    So far I have counted 36 full pages of adverts by these companies:

Milestone Motorcars.
    Giorgio Nada Editore.
    Rémy Martin Cognac.
    Pebbe Beach Concours.
    RM Sotheby’s (2 pages).
    Klemantaski Collection.
    DK Engineering (double page).
    Mecum Auctions.
    MPI Motion Products.
    Lime Rock Park.
    Fantasy Junction.
    Kontes Private Garage.
    Gooding Auctioneers.
    Chopard Watches.
    Canossa Events (3 pages).
    Cavallino Classic Palm Beach.
    Tom Hartley Jr..
    Prancing Horse of Nashville.
    Broad Arrow Group.
    CARS International Logistics.
    Classic Car Capital.
    Copley Motorcars.
    Bacchelli & Villa (3 pages).
    AIG Private Client Group.
    duPont Registry.
    Superformance.co.uk.
    Piston Foundation.
    Chattanooga Motorcar Festival.
    Road & Track Club.
    Talacrest.
    Lime Rock Park Festival.

There is an article about Cavallino Classic Fisher Island, another one about Terre di Canossa (a Canossa event in Italy). A multi page article with an Auction Market Analysis, a multi page article authored by RM director Augustin Sabatié-Garant about 250 GT SWB Berlinetta prices and sales, a short tribute to the late Frederick Simeone, a very large article about Lara Gilmore, wife of cook Massimo Bottura and their Casa Maria Luigia in Modena. A multi-page article about Bacchelli & Villa, restorers in Bastiglia near Modena, showing a Lamborghini Countach. And an article by Ferrari historian Alan C. Boe, covering the 250 S Coupé Vignale #0156 ET, titled "Where it all began".

Marcel Massini

18. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It's really tragic that they now attach/glue the address sticker right onto the cover and the mag is being sent in a cheap, lousy and poor thin clear plastic bag and no longer in a proper stiff cardboard envelope to protect the publication.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's poor, at least stick it on the back if you must deface the magazine.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Is it now perfect bound rather than stapled?

21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Softbound like TOFM.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Definitely not a fan of dropping the staples. Cover price has gone up from 10 to 14 US Dollars to. The hard cardboard envelope offered some good defense against the ravages of the postal systems but a mere plastic bag is a very poor substitute. Also as a "green" issue plastic bags are being shunned in favor of paper or cardboard use now! Bad form in MANY respects from the new publisher and these chosen initiatives introduced with Cavallino issue #250. :eek:
    Thank you Marcel for the detailed update on Cavallino magazine progress or lack thereof by the new publisher.

Buchpilot, readplays and Nembo1777 like this.
  23. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    QUOTE: "....a short tribute to the late Frederick Simeone, a very large article about Lara Gilmore, wife of cook Massimo Bottura and their Casa Maria Luigia in Modena."

It figures, and unfortunately I am not surprised. Entities like Conossa often fail to understand many basics as well as nuances. The above should have truly been the other way around - should have been a large article on Fred Simeone and a small (if at all) bit on Lara and her casa Maria Luigia in Modena. WTF. I could care less about her, etc. And then there are all the bits of Conossa self promotion, and quid pro quo articles (Conossa events, RM director on SWB prices). Who's overseeing editorial content now, is it still John Barnes? Not impressed with whoever it is... looks like this non collectible softbound will be leaning more and more to lifestyle...uuuggh! If I wanted those types of lifestyle articles, I would buy those types of magazines. I'm guessing the next issue will have a multi-page article on the various types of tortellini, and recommendations of how to eat it.

24. trashidelek!

trashidelek! Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    So let's see, the "new and improved" magazine is anything but, the price has been doubled, and yet, they intend for circulation to increase by 1000%. What could possibly go wrong there?

ggjjr and readplays like this.
  25. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Note that the direct purchase price for the current issue has doubled. Cavallino is now a 5-minute read; I no longer routinely purchase. I only keep the issues with the Salon features I am interested in, and those with major early tipo or period features. I file the informative letters. I tossed half my issues into recycling bin.

readplays likes this.