Cavallino magazine | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Cavallino magazine

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 250GTE, Jun 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don't think they have lowered their standards, I think its reasonable to recognize...

1) Cavallino has always made mistakes, many many more before the internet saved us and we could efficiently correct such things. We just hope the correction process is still present.

2) Any transition of a magazine will have quality challenges until things settle down, hopefully they listen to the feedback.

Just throwing it out there, but Luigi and Canossa probably have more quality Vintage Ferrari access than John had (and he had a bunch!).

Image Unavailable, Please Login

jm2, Rosey and ivo73 like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The writers are all contractors. Has anyone noticed if there has been a change in authorship of the articles? I know it is not the same few from issue to issue but it was more or less from the same group issue to issue. Are we getting lessor quality authors?

The ownership has changed but I believe the editor is the same.

Marcel? I suspect you know personally most of the long time authors and I suspect the editor as well.
    Care to comment?

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The new editor is Massimo Delbò who has experience in automobile magazines, at least as a writer/contributor. I don’t know if he has an editorial background. I think Marc @Nembo1777 knows more about him.

4. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well, I’m encouraged that the first two cover cars have been Enzo era….

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    if you develop a magazine that caters to cars built in the quantity of 50, youre guaranteed to get 50 subscribers. reading about the same cars being rerestored and reshown over again gets old.
    its like watching movies with the same actors always cast.
    in truth, cavallino reads more like a trades magazine.

Texas Forever likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I was not aware they had changed editors. I know the old one but we rarely talk business.

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    In my opinion only I would expect that emphasis to change.

8. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    May I suggest that to test this someone (preferably an acknowledged expert) sends them a letter / mail with corrections? And see what happens??

rob lay, Jack-the-lad and Buchpilot like this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Massimo is a good person, we are both contributors to Octane Magazine and I have had a few nice chats with him. He is an astute observer off the scene and the people. He is a very competent and knowledgeable journalist, I have no doubt he can do a great job...BUT the big question is what exactly his role is and what freedom he has. I think alas it is restricted and that the new ownership wants to transform the magazine into a lifestyle publication. It seems bent on losing the plot; on walking away from what Cavallino was when I wrote for it (1992-2001)and for years before and after but less so in recent years: serious in depth research articles that alas not so many appreciate...it was an elitist publication in the sense of who the texts were meant for...now it is heading towards being a coffee table magazine...sad....

10. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Agreed. :(

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Done long time ago, more than once, zero reaction at all.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Why am I not surprised?:mad:...

13. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    What a waste of a great magazine :(

14. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Going through issue #251 (Oct/Nov 22) and the Delbò article about Le Mans Classic I noticed the wrong photo caption on page 30. This is not S/N 0298 M. The car shown is chassis number 0254 MM. Very easy to see the different front bodywork. While 0254 MM has the standard nose, 0298 MM has a special one-off nose and front grille. The list on page 32 is also incorrect.

Looking at the Pebble Beach Tour article I noticed on page 37 another incorrect photo caption. The 250 LM pictured on top right is not the 1965 Le Mans winning S/N 5893 but rather 250 LM #6053 owned by Chris Cox. This fabulous racecar is fitted with 250 LM engine #6167.

The Ferrari shown by Jimmy Page at Pebble Beach is not a 275 GTB but rather a superrare alloy bodied 275 GTB/6C (S/N 08859). Quite a difference.

The list of Ferraris at The Quail, a Motorsport Gathering at Quail Lodge in Carmel Valley, published on page 42, is rather incomplete and includes only 23 Ferraris, when in fact there were more than 35 there.
    The 250 Boano is S/N 0639 GT, the 400 Superamerica is 5115 SA, the yellow 246 GTS Spider is 07746 and owned by an fchatter, 123688 is actually a 550 Barchetta, the yellow Daytona is 14101 also owned by an active fchatter, the black 512 BB is 22613, and the red F40 is 88730, the red 550 Maranello is 113341. There was also a very rare azzurro dino blue 246 Dino GT #07574 with chairs and flares from a renowned Texas-based collector and fchatter, not to forget the gunmetal grey 365 GT 2+2 and the metallic grey 250 GT LWB Berlinetta Scaglietti #0507 GT of Brian Ross, winner of the Cavallino Modena Concours in July 2021.

Oh well.........

Marcel Massini

15. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    There's a smart business opportunity here if they would listen and make the right move...

And by that I mean hire MM and pay him the $250K annually the magazines audience deserves :)

16. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    This “evolution” of Cavallino magazine reminds me of another niche magazine, Cigar Aficionado. First, the magazine changed from really beautifully done art covers to celebrity covers, presumably to boost newsstand sales. The real “tell” about the change of editorial emphasis from cigars to generic “lifestyle” came when the cover font changed from CIGAR Aficionado to Cigar AFICIONADO (or something similar).

audi_328, Nembo1777, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Instead of evolution don't you mean decadence?

18. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Not current challenges, but initially the #1 problem that hurt Cavallino, Forza, and FML was the internet (FerrariChat/Facebook). As we added sponsors and viewers, their sponsors and viewers tanked.

bloomberg, Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I worked at a newsstand/tobacconist (actually where I bought my first copy of Cavallino, #49) when Cigar Aficionado was launched, used to read it, and agree with your assessment. That was a nice magazine in the mid-90s, though I haven't sought it out in forever. Once I was talking to a friend about it, he misheard me and was confused as to what sort of person read a magazine called "Cigar, Fish & Auto".

I realize it's all about change or die; sure wish the process didn't have to alienate those that most supported Cavallino and helped make it great. Out with the old, I suppose. One of their "endorsements" back in the day was the statement "My wife and I are fighting over the Cavallinos in our divorce settlement"; pretty sure that won't be happening with the lifestyle types.

Nembo1777, bloomberg and Jack-the-lad like this.
  20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  21. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    My local newsagent went from a large double shop with shelves and shelves of magazines all throughout the 1980's through to 2019 when it moved into a half sized standard shop selling mainly greeting cards, small home goods, lotto tickets and has only two shelves of very general magazines.
    Sign of the times hey.

22. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I used to love roaming huge newsstands, even as a kid way back in the early 1960s….MAD magazine, British car mags, out of town newspapers, aviation magazines, limited print run niche magazines, etc. I still can’t pass a big newsstand without going in and browsing,

23. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Hahahaha, I still collect MAD magazine to this day from buying them in the 1970's. :)

Texas Forever and Jack-the-lad like this.
  24. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    It is exactly the same where I live, selection of car magazines (or any type of magazine) at newsagents nowadays is very limited. Where even average size shops in small towns always had a quite a broad range of car magazines, now they offer only one or two (and to make matters worse, since the best independent local car magazine was bought a few years ago by a large news agency company, quality went downhill quickly :( ).

While at the same time the number of online magazines has exploded, there seems to be a specialized niche magazine for about anything. Sometimes they are so highly specialized that I am wondering if there is any significant number of readers at all - even worldwide.

Signs of the times indeed.

Rosey likes this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    These days, given the demise of most newsstands in big cities where a huge part of their revenue came from tobacco, probably the best stocked racks are at Barnes & Noble.

jm2 likes this.