Cavallino magazine | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Cavallino magazine

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 250GTE, Jun 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Back when LA was a functioning city they used to have those big, linear, open air newsstands on the sidewalks of busy corners, usually backed up against a building wall. Maybe there are still a few.

Nembo1777, jm2 and bloomberg like this.
  2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    One of our clients at the Ferrari dealer in Berkeley owned a huge news stand in downtown Oakland. Kind of place you could buy the daily paper from any major city in the world. He commuted to work in his Daytona, back when it was not an old car.

I kind of doubt it would still support that life style.

Rosey, bloomberg and Jack-the-lad like this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Back in the ‘70s my office was an easy walk from a newsstand. My mornings usually started with stopping in to pick up a newspaper and a pack of Benson & Hedges. Sadly, both of those items have virtually disappeared….

Rosey and bloomberg like this.
  4. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    IMO there’s nothing like a good magazine. Internet doesn’t even come close unless I’m watching videos.

of2worlds, Lusso123, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  5. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Used to go up to Las Palmas newsstand weekly for my car magazine fix when I lived in LA.
    They had THE best selection besides Autobooks in Burbank

of2worlds, Jack-the-lad and Rosey like this.
  6. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Agreed, except after awhile they start accruing to unsustainable levels...but there's magazines I'd never get rid of, some I wish I kept, and others I'm psyched to find in a box 20 years later. But man, I've tossed reams of magazines over the years.

Digital magazines were predicted to be the next great thing a bunch of years ago, I remember reading something about how they were slow to catch on as "people were using to paying for a thing, the magazine, something they could hold; paying for information was something they'd have to get used to." Don't think it worked out quite that way, not for me, anyway. Closest thing to an e-magazine I've ever subscribed to is the online FML.

7. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm not sure the printed magazine is quite dead yet. There are still a huge number of titles on the shelves of decent-sized newsagents here in the UK. They include Octane, Magneto, Classic Cars, Classic & Sportscar (and others) for the older cars. Evo, Car, Top Gear, Autocar etc. for the newer stuff. With many more specific to particular brands (although not Ferrari any longer since the demise of the English edition of Enzo). I also note the latest email I had from The Road Rat says "...But, 11 editions in, we’re well in to six-figure sales and are currently on track for a record year...". I'm not sure of the state of health of all the others, although I do my bit to keep at least some of them going!

(Have a look at www.newsstand.co.uk if you want an idea of the number and variety of magazine title's available).

As for Cavallino, I'm personally not all that bothered by mistakes which I think have pretty much always been there from time-to-time and are more-or-less inevitable in any publication. I'm rather more interested in the overall content, how much of it is worth reading and whether what there is is worth the considerable cost increase. I have yet to receive issue 251. I did think there were some minor improvements in issue 250 but that didn't include the article about the publisher's mother-in-law or whoever she was, nor the reprint of an article from a previous issue. I certainly don't want to pay for the same stuff regurgitated, thank you very much.

of2worlds likes this.
  8. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Yes, the Brits put us to shame when it comes to motoring magazines. I get Octane, Magneto, C&SC, The Road Rat. I just dumped over 30 years of C&SC because I’m running out of space for this stuff and I couldn’t even give them away.

of2worlds, ggjjr, Rosey and 1 other person like this.
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    as far as sitting on the toilet reading for fun. for most purposes the internet is far superior...
    • immediate responses and peer review from multiple perspectives and expertise. articles are a single "expert" and especially if you have a magazine that doesn't do corrections or you fail to read them, then you may have retained incorrect info.
    • thread can end up with more detailed info and more media to view.
    • you are able to dig in through replies/quotes and even take tangents beyond a limited targeted article.
    • it is free.
    • mobile viewing has let the internet become easier to access than even a light magazine.

Texas Forever and Rosey like this.
  10. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    I love the paper format of magazines and I would keep them all if space would permit this.

If.... which it doesn't.

Therefore I only keep the 100% Ferrari content magazines (Cavallino, Forza, Maranello World, and Enzo) in paper format and read others (Octane, Classic & Sports Cars, MotorSport, Auto Italia) in digital form. If they contain a Ferrari related article, I can easily store that by making a partial copy of the file, and toss the full magazine in the digital bin.

11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Maybe Tony means the idea of holding the paper in your hands; thumbing through it, deciding what to read right now, later or never; putting it down and coming back to it, etc. No question that quantitatively (the volume of what can potentially be consumed) the web is superior, but experientially I prefer magazines.

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And real live paper hard bound books.

Lusso123, Nembo1777, Rosey and 2 others like this.
  13. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't think that's true at all. Generally, they do different things which is why I am here but also buy magazines. I might also add that you have to do a whole lot of sifting through nonsense from self-appointed experts on the Internet to work out what actually is correct.
    That's such a shame but, yes, space is the problem.

14. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    The internet sites unquestionably have their usefulness but the experience pales in comparison to kicking back in a comfortable chair with a bourbon and good magazine and or book.

You know me! :)

ggjjr, Lusso123, Nembo1777 and 2 others like this.
  15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Money talks.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

16. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Great way to go broke. No offense to Marcel. The first rule of professional writing is to understand your audience. Time changes. Nothing stays the same.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Rifledriver and Lusso123 like this.
  17. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #142 Nembo1777, Oct 5, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    I remember one on Hollywood Boulevard in 1989 my first time in LA, I bought things for my gf at Fredricks of Hollywood and then saw such a stand and was amazed at the selection. In the US Barnes and Noble is good, Borders was great, I really miss those stores.

In Europe also quite a few newsstands disappear or dramatically reduce their offerings.

Regarding comparing the internet to proper magazines and stating it is as good or superior...I fully disagree. The internet is full of nonsense, unqualified, unvetted wannabe two bit experts standing on their high horse.

Quality magazines, such as the Cavallino of the earlier years, have a level of vetted competence that CONSTITUTES civilization, knowledge and education. Scholarly material. Ideal reading material is an article or a book that is the definitive work on something. If not it is important to have multiple sources to consolidate a precise understanding of something, anything. Every morning I spend an hour reading media from the US, UK, France, Switzerland, there is always something that only one of them relates....That is the contrary of people reading just one heavily biased source and getting brainwashed.

To seek out valid, vetted information from a serious source is a true responsibility nowadays.

The worst thing I have read on Fchat or any forum is people who state they don't read or watch the news but get their news here....that is like locking yourself into a septic tank and looking at the world through a straw pointed upwards through the vent, waiting to be fed nonsense.

Reading Quality magazines or quality books remains the primary way to gather information and improving one's education. To read a great article or book be it non fiction or fiction is a fundamental activity, I read a lot of fiction and it is so satisfying and relaxing no wonder it has been described as healthy for mind, soul and body.

Natan Tazelaar, ggjjr, Rosey and 10 others like this.
  18. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Scientific magazines have peer review before any article is published.

Magazines have (hopefully knowledgeable) editors.

Internet at best has moderators, who only check for rule infringements, not for blatant nonsense.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I can't fully respond here. But I limit my news media involvement to checking Fox's website to see what the headlines are. I then check CNN's website to see an alternative universe of headlines. But that's it. At 70, I've read all the mainstream lies I ever care to read, and I don't believe a word of it. Frankly, I get better insights from some posts here on FerrariChat than the mainstream media. I said some, not all posts.

JCR likes this.
  20. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    In the English town of Petworth, near where we stay when we go to Goodwood, the surprisingly well stocked newsstand is integral with the tiny Royal Mail facility and also sells snacks, drinks and other incidentals. I think this setup is fairly common in the UK. It’s an impressively efficient use of space.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    This thread is the perfect example of internet vs. print. Where else could we have such an efficient conversation about the topic with world experts, writers, multiple "subscriber" perspectives, and potentially the owner/editor (although that didn't go well the Cavallino Event thread :D).

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    At 70, I'm going to do a final purge of all my print stuff. Can't take it with ya.

Rosey and jm2 like this.
  23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As a former monthly columnist of 8 years or so for a Ferrari only publication that has been named in a positive fashion several times in this thread I vehemently disagree. It is the reason I disassociated myself from the publication.

ggjjr and Texas Forever like this.
  24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Next move in a year or two. Hang out by my garbage can. A lot of good stuff coming.

ggjjr and Texas Forever like this.
  25. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hmmm a quick bin scavenging trip to Texas seems highly worth it! Should be safe, don't think I need an abortion right now:D.

Texas Forever likes this.