Cavallino magazine | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Cavallino magazine

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by 250GTE, Jun 18, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks, too busy fo that now but will make missing list in time for Christmas.

bloomberg likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Don't it always seem to go?

Texas Forever likes this.
  4. SamoanAttorney

Sep 24, 2015
    On beautiful foolish arms....

Texas Forever likes this.
  5. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Don’t hold your breath Ed
    Nobody REALLY wants to touch that kind of a “loaded gun”, regardless of the event/organization.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Edit:

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
  8. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Great to see 3647 GT on the cover. I really hope the article on it is good, and that they didn't screw up any of the facts.

9. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    I hope there are some photos of the GTO’s at Virginia International Raceway as part of their 60th anniversary tour.

10. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    My bad.
    Sincere apologies.
    Thank you very much, Sir.

Marcel Massini

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Two, yes.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    12 color pages, with text by Alan C. Boe, renowned Ferrari historian and real expert, IAC/PFA Judge and author.

PS:
    Unfortunately the publisher writes in the foreword that 3647 GT is the last unrestored GTO. Apparently he has never heard of 4219 GT, the darkblue one owned since 30 years by Brandon Wang.

Marcel Massini

14. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I'm always happy with anything by Alan Boe; he's also helped me with previous research for various Ferrari related projects. Too bad the publisher does not have enough knowledge, or even know that he should check or ask a real expert, but unfortunately not surprising.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  15. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    Thank you, I received my copy today, looking forward to digging in..

16. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I also count ten incorrect chassis numbers in the new issue, in lists, photo captions, texts, there is simply zero quality control. Frustrating, to say the least.
    And still mis-identifying (the same!) 250 MM's, even after three issues and information supplied.

Marcel Massini

swift53, Texas Forever, ivo73 and 3 others like this.
  17. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Uuugggh. Thanks for that info. Absolutely amazing and not in a good way! At this point, those mistakes are simply unacceptable for what this publication is supposed to be.

Maybe they're just not eating enough special tortellini.

18. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Truly unacceptable. They should be embarrassed. In the original format (#1-249) the editor would print corrections that were submitted by readers in a following issue. (Heck, even I corrected one of the stories). Granted, the corrections were few and far between, a testament to the accuracy and quality of the journalism. I wonder if the new editors would do the same…..

Lusso123 and Nembo1777 like this.
  19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I received #252 yesterday in good condition. I have not read the magazine yet, just paged through it, so these are only my initial, superficial impressions.

First of all, with respect to my comment above about errors, the magazine is publishing corrections, including some provided by Marcel.
    I’m encouraged that the magazine still is emphasizing vintage Ferraris, at least in this issue.
    There’s an article about Brenda Vernor.
    There’s a good deal of event coverage.

On the negative side, there are still too many photographs that do not have captions. I assume that this is a design decision, but it is unnecessary and annoying. One of the valuable (and charming) things about pre-250 was the frequently very detailed photo captions. I realize that designers like to see a lot of white space around illustrations. In this case, the magazine should be providing more information, not less information in the pursuit of a particular visual style. The editors should please override the designers and begin providing captions with information that may not be included in the main text.

The owners’ columns is an interesting idea in concept, but for some reason I don’t find the execution especially compelling.

There’s a market analysis of the 288GTO by RM and I haven’t read it so I don’t know if there’s any new information in it or just a rehash. It feels too much like a comfortable commercial arrangement…..which is probably what it is. An occasional column by one of the other auction houses like Gooding or Bonham’s would be refreshing, but agreements might prevent that, I don’t know. RM’s media presence has frankly become a bit too ubiquitous in my opinion.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    And then right there they make exactly the SAME mistake AGAIN, and identify the very same 250 MM wrong again!!
    0298 MM and 0254 MM are not the same car and also not with the same owner. Do they actually read the corrections?? And understand what they are talking about?

Marcel Massini

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    I think you guys need to admit the waters around you have grown. What was will be no more. Way of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Lusso123 and Marcel Massini like this.
  22. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    FFY.

Used to be the Journal of Ferrari History.

Now it's the Journal of the Ferrari Lifestyle (not so concerned with specifics anymore).

Things change, I guess. Sucks when it happens to your favorite things.

swift53, wrxmike and Marcel Massini like this.
  23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    I received #252 yesterday, and the spine was broken in 3 locations, same as #250.
    The paper with the "Do not Bend" is ridiculous in its subliminal message, no protective purpose whatever, and a waste of time.

The envelopes, with the stapled magazine of the past, always arrived (for the most part, 99%) undamaged.
    I called, and Ellen was most kind and will send replacements for both.

As far as content, it is starting to look like the English magazines with so much advertising.

Novelty, they are even selling Cavallino covers of the first 250 issues at a lowly price of $1900. o_O

My renewal is with issue #254. I am really pondering whether to renew or not, whilst I could not live without "MotorSport".

Regards, Alberto

24. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    $1900...
    You could almost buy from 1 to 250 (real copies for the same anount :)
    OK, maybe more, but what would you do with this 5 book set?

Regards, Alberto

25. Lars T.

Lars T. Karting

Dec 3, 2022
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Lars T.
    Even though I normally love limited editions, I could see no reason whatsoever why I would buy a set of 250 magazine covers. And especially not for crazy $1900…