Cavallino: Truth Verses Personal Agenda | FerrariChat

Cavallino: Truth Verses Personal Agenda

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Apr 8, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    For many years it's been public record that I have pointed out several things that Cavallino has and continues to publish that are simply not true.

My letter to them, that they refused to publish, corrected their erroneous publication that P3's and P4's have the same wheel base. (An important point in the 0846 debate.) There is NO question that P3 wheelbases were 2412mm and P4 wheelbases are 2400mm.

My Public correction of their Price Guide that continues to publish information about the current value of P3's even though no P3 was ever sold nor could one be as no P3's currently exist. (Their statement in their price guide: "0844 to 350 Can AM back to 330 P3"
    is also wrong. 0844 was converted by NART to a 330 Can AM (Totally different from a 350 Can Am and back by Symbolic to a 412P which is different than a P3) Keep in mind that their cover proudly proclaims: "The Journal Of Ferrari History".

When 0846 was at Quail a Ferrari Historian who attended the event accurately reported that fact listing me as her owner and submitted the list of all Ferrari's that attended Quail that year and without informing him or asking his permission to edit his reporting Cavallino omitted mention of my car having attended. "Journal Of Ferrari History".

Cavallino's revisionist history continues in their latest issue in an article on Special Project 2.

The article discusses the History of "speciales" and describes various groups there of.

Two of the groups they mention are relevant to this thread:

"Pininfarina prototypes built with Ferrari components ... "built to develop new series types or just research specific problems;"

"Special cars requested by customers that Ferrari with [the] contribution of Pininfarina agrees to produce..."

In the group of Pininfarina Protypes they mention the 250 GTO Prototype, 250 P5, P6, 512S
    Speciale,Modulo, Cr25, Pinn,Mythos, and Rossa.

They don't mention Dino Competizione, which is owned by me. It's as if the car simply doesn't exist.

In the group "Special cars" "done with the approval of Ferrari itself" They mention many cars including 612 Kappa but not P 4/5.

It is pure fact, that has long been public record, fully reported by reputable press,that both Kappa and P 4/5 were done under the exact same program at Pininfarina, Both were built and engineered by Pininfarina, not Ferrari, and Both were accepted by Ferrari as official Ferrari's.

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    The Urinal of Ferrari History, aye?

3. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    What was it that Rodney Dangerfield used to say?...

4. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Respect from those who don't deserve it is worthless.

"So don't be afraid of your enemies. Everything that is secret will be brought out into the open. Everything that is hidden will be uncovered. What I tell you in the dark, speak in the daylight. What is whispered in your ear, shout from the rooftops."

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    what is cavallinos personal agenda and why?
    ed

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I have no idea what their agenda is, but I have found that over the years many "so-called" historians are noting more than marketing and sales tools. Many simply don't know the truth, aren't going to do the research, and simply don't care.

7. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Good question.
    John must sit there and 'vet' every single word that is printed in the magazine?
    CH

8. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Cavallino's actions speak for themselves.

They're members of FCHAT and are welcome to point out why this thread is not correct if they can and explain why they've acted the way they have to me and my cars.

I've offered them this opportunity many times. Years ago JB posted that P 4/5 wasn't an official Ferrari and that he had this from: "The Horses Mouth". I replied that Luca himself had decided that P 4/5 was an official Ferrari and agreed with Andrea Pininfarina and I that it's official name would be "Ferrari P 4/5 by Pininfarina". I challanged him to name "The Horses Mouth" he cited and to publically refute my statement. He never replied.

Cavallino's recent article which reads as if Dino Competizione and P 4/5 don't exist in an article specifically about Pininfarina designed Prototypes and "Special Projects" is absurd.

The reason I feel it's personal is that every other Pininfarina Prototype and Special Project including Kappa is.

9. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Take the list of Ferraris at Quail. The Highly Respected Ferrari Historian who included 0846
    in the list he submitted to Cavallino and was credited by Cavallino with having compiled it told me that it was absolutely Cavallino who omitted 0846 from his list without his knowledge or consent not him.

Take the letter I sent to Cavallino which clearly pointed out the indisputable Truth verified by Ferrari Factory Records/Built sheets and physical duplicatable measurement which is the essence of "Journal" Discussion and was an important part of the 0846 debate. Certainly JB was the one who decided not to publish it.

10. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I haven't read the article you mention Jim, but I think I can see the problem here. The cars mentioned in the group are those of the 'line of dream cars' theme. The Dino Competizione is not included in that design theme. It belongs to the Dino show car theme (Linea Pininfarina) which started with s/n 0840 and ended with your Dino.

This is absolutely true (as you know best). I even think P4/5 is the best known car from that program.

Don't let your feathers get ruffled too much and enjoy your cars :)

Best, Peter

11. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Hi

You'll read the Article for yourself but I think it's quite clear from the Article that Dino Competizione should be included:

"1) the Ferrari prototypes built to develop new series types or just research specific problems; 2) Pininfarina prototypes built with Ferrari Components for the same reasons as before;"

As for "ruffled feathers" long ago I realised that some people are their own punishment.

Best

12. vintagemotorcars

BANNED

Apr 22, 2008
    Mesa Az.
    Full Name:
    KP
    I don't think it is a matter of ruffled feathers. Its that these erroneous articles are written and read by the the uninformed and soon there is so much misinformation out that the real facts are obscured. I've read several articles that quote wrong information from another article. I think Jim almost has a duty to make sure any info on his cars is correct.

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It goes back to that windy day at Moroso.....

14. dantealdente

dantealdente Karting

Nov 7, 2009
    as that cavallino purports itself to be "the journal of ferrari history" it behooves upon them to get the facts straight regardless of personal sentiment. though napolis may prefer taking a gentlemanly high road approach it is a slippery slope. though you may look upon this publication as nothing more than a fluffy glossy catering to over indulgent hobbyists i do not believe this excuses them for the very basic tenets of journalistic integrity. is it any wonder that news and journalism is in the state that it's in at this juncture in history?

provenance plays a large part in perceived value of a historical and artistic object and here we're talking of millions of hard earned dollars. false historical revisionism smacks of nothing less than facism from my personal viewpoint. it is incumbent upon true enthusiasts to keep the record straight if not for ourselves for future generations.

anyhow that's my rant for the day. i'll be back if cavallino ever publishes a photo spread of paris hilton stradling the center console of a ferrari under the headline "paris test drives the last standard shift ferrari" =P

15. naparsei

naparsei Formula Junior

Oct 11, 2005
    Land of Enchantment
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but journalistic standards should be maintained by a publication such as Cavallino. If the allegations are true, not only does is a "bully pulpit" situation created, but it casts doubt on every single word published by the magazine. Errors and Omissions are part of the natural course of events, but this has the appearance of something more complicated and possibly (but hopefully not) more sinister.

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #16 BigTex, Apr 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    ....too late. :rolleyes:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    :)

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    See Post #18:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137888

19. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    I personally don't have a stake in the outcome one way or another. I do seem to recall reading somewhere at one point Ferrari stated that 0846 no longer exists. If my recollection is correct, and in fact this remains Ferrari's opinion today, then I can see that one can reasonably conclude that a car that no longer exists could not possibly have attended Quail. I mention this only to make a point that Cavallino would have cause to edit the list of participants to match Ferrari's statements - again, assuming that my memory about Ferrari's position is indeed accurate.

(No vested interest in any outcomes, but I do subscribe to Cavallino)

20. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Read post #18.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=137888

21. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
  22. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    I would put it down to having spent too many cold winters in Scarsdale...
    CH

23. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Jim: You need to have Sheehan make a phone call for you. It will take 3 minutes.

JM3

( If you subscribe to SCM, you'll get the inside joke.)

24. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That was funny.

25. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Forgive, please, if this is a way-out-of-left-field question, but when it comes to the history of Ferrari I would depend on Mr. Massini more than any other source.

What are his opinions of Dino Competizione and P4/5?

Neil