CB650: The Jersey Devil Project | Page 4 | FerrariChat

CB650: The Jersey Devil Project

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by walnut, Apr 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I stopped by the shop yesterday to check on the frame progress. They finally got the material in and were having the rear hoop made up so hopefully I'll get it all back soon.

A few days ago I received a new front fender that I'd ordered from ebay. I plan on using this to make a fiberglass mold and create my own copy which will be drastically shorter than the stock unit. This will let me make several different variations in hand-laid fiberglass to see what I like best before making a final copy out of carbon fiber with a kevlar sheet in the middle so it won't "blow up" should it get hit by anything. That's the same approach I plan on using to make the rear body/cowel and seat plate.

Last night I ordered another batch of parts including: float bowl gaskets, rubber insert for the side stand, front and rear sprockets, new rear shocks, grips (to replace the ones I messed up), and a few other items that aren't coming to mind right now. I need to sit down with the carbs and figure out what interal hardware I need to replace so I can order those. I don't believe there will be much, mostly the screws that hold the choke and throttle plates in place.

My parents may be coming over to visit this weekend so I'm hoping my dad can give me a hand cleaning some of the parts up and getting some of the subassemblies put together. I'll try to post some more pictures of the cleaned up parts and anything that's getting put together by the end of the weekend.

2. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #77 walnut, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Finished cleaning up and painting all of the components for the front forks. Eventually the tubes (pitted where the chrome has chipped) and dust seals (dried out and a bit cracked) will need to be replaced and that'll probably happen when I take everything apart for powder coat or at least better paint. For now, it looks nice and will keep everything from corroding. I haven't put the new neck bearings on yet but I do have a nice set of tapered roller bearings setting in a box, ready to go.

I wasn't able to get as much done as I'd hoped this weekend (why does that sound familiar?) but again, progress is progress!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    When you said you'd update toward end of W/E, you weren't kidding.

Did your Pop get to check out the bike?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

4. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I did get a chance to show my dad what I'd gotten done and talk about what was still coming up. It was a lot of fun for me since he's the reason I grew up liking cars, became an engineer, and is also the reason I got into motorcycles. It was a bit more important for me though that he spend time with my son whom he does not get to see nearly as often as I'd like.

I was able to get a few more parts painted since the last update (that weren't on the front fork) but didn't get anything else assembled. I need to get some proper grease for the cam and pivot points of the drum brake before I can reassmble it, the other parts I cleaned where engine mount bolts and spacers so there's really nothing I can do with them yet.

I am hoping to get the carbs back together by next Sunday evening which means I have to soak them in carb cleaner and go to town on the outside of the main bodies with a wire brush to remove all of the dirt, grime, and just general crud which has built up over time. Then I can get them painted. The hold-up will be if the float bowl gaskets arrive by then or not. I'm going to go with a similar paint scheme as the engine is getting with matte black bodies and bowls, stainless hardware, possibly silver brackets and linkages just to bring some contrast in, and gold covers.

Another thing which I noticed that needs some attention is the rear swing arm. I need to get at it with a sanding wheel to clean up some of the grind marks from removing the chain guard mounts, then it can be painted. The rear axle and the swingarm pivot bolt need a good cleaning and I should replace the axle grease fitting.

For the record, I want to say how thankful I am to my wife for letting me go down this rabbit hole!

5. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Consider your butt officially covered. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

6. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Last night I ordered new air filters (K&N Dual carb clamp-on), wheel bearing and seal kits, new fork dust seals, and a gel battery. I believe I have all of the components now that will be required to get the engine back into the frame and running. I still want to order a new muffler but will use the one that came with it for the time being. I also need to patch the pin-holes in the header but that shouldn't be too bad. I will have to figure something out for the crank case breather line too.

I don't think I'm going to get any work in this weekend but who knows.

7. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sweet! I stopped by the shop yesterday and the rear hoop is on the frame! There was a good amount of finish welding and clean-up to do but I should be getting it back (finally) today or tomorrow. I think I'll celebrate by ordering some more parts :)

8. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Its official, I have a frame in my trunk! Yep, I picked it up today. Looks good, not perfect, but good. I definitely feel that it will be safe to use but cosmetically, I'm going to have a little cleanup to do here and there. The big plus is that from bugging them so often, I think I've learned enough about it that I could do it myself next time, if there is a next time.

I'll post some pictures this weekend as I should be able to get the suspension in place and hope to have the tank back too.

9. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Excellent! Still enjoying reading these small victories.

10. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #85 walnut, Oct 30, 2013
    Here's a pic of the newly modified frame. As I said, it needs a few cosmetic touches, but that I can do. Hopefully I can post a picture with the suspension and tank on this weekend.

11. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    Looks good. Now to watch it all come back together.

12. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #87 walnut, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
    Headlight, rearsets, muffler, speedo, and tach are on their way!

13. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #88 walnut, Oct 31, 2013
  14. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #89 walnut, Nov 4, 2013
    Here's two more "detail" shots. First is the new flush mount fuel cap ready which is all fit up now but will not be completely installed until the tank has been painted. The second shows the headlight I bought (from a HD V-Rod) thought I do not have headlight mounts for it yet. I got the wheels (and front fender which had to have the mounting hole slightly slotted out) on it this weekend and ordered a welder from Harbor Freight. My goal is to get the side stand bracket tack welded into place adjusted for the height of the bike and angle of the stand's foot. Once that is tacked, I'll get my coworker to finish weld it for me. I might go ahead and tack weld the mounts for the rearsets while I'm at it.

15. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    So, I bought an ultrasonic parts cleaner to get the carbs cleaned properly. Can anyone recommend what type of solution I should use? I've seen a lot of talk on motorcycle forums about just using a mix of Simple Green and water which seems to good results.

16. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Lots of parts and Tools trickling in. I've already cleaned two of the four carbs with the ultrasonic using Simple Green and water. Very happy with the results. Hope to get the other two done soon but want to reassemble these ones first. Almost made a very pricey mistake in getting a CB750 hub powder coated and laced to my rear hoop. Note to self, while they are darn close, they are not the same as a CB650 hub. Same goes for the sprocket sub-assembly.

I'm on round two of body work on the tank and suspect one more is in the cards. It's tough with the temps dropping as I've had to get creative on find a warm place for the filler to set up. Powder room and a space heater with exhaust fan on seems to be doing the trick; warm, dry, and keeps the fumes from the rest of the house.

I'll post some pictures of the progress tomorrow night as I'm hoping to get more done by then with the holiday off and all. Starting to move towards getting everything setup to have the engine back in the frame and running soon!

17. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Nice, nice, nice to see so many things falling into place. It's still a blast seeing each update.

Hope the filler set to your liking with your "weather-beater" workaround. Nice excuse to order a welder, too! ;)

What you ought to do next is commandeer the kitchen table. Blame me ;)

18. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #93 walnut, Nov 12, 2013
    Wax, I showed my wife you last post... She chuckled, then look at me, and said "yeah, no." :)

Now onto the update: I spent a lot of time and effort this weekend trying to smooth out the dents in the fuel tank. I've posted a few pictures of the progress below. Its not there just yet but its close and one of the MAJOR dents where the old badges used to attach is almost perfect. I think I've got about 2-3 more rounds of filler, primer layering, and sand to go before its all worked out. I know it won't be perfect, but I want it to at least look respectable.

Also, I've put one picture of a carb body soaking in the Harbor Freight ultrasonic tank. For the price, this thing is awesome. I'll post pictures of the two I've cleaned later in the week before I paint them, then again after I can get them colored-up. Speaking of which, I cna't decide what color to paint the float bowls. I was thinking about doing the caps in gold (to match the valve covers) with the bodies and bowls in black (like the engine body) but now I'm thinking it might look nice to do the bowls in silver to carry the theme of having the silver engine side covers up to the carbs.

After sitting on the frame and going "vroom! vroom!" far more often that I'd care to admit, I 've decide that the handle bars I have on it currently are probably far to wide/cruiser-ish for what I'm wanting the end product to be and have ordered some clip-ons as a replacement. The Motogadget M-unit I ordered to help simplify the wiring harness should be here in the next few days.

Once I finish the carbs and the tank, I'll have essentially everything that I need to have to get it running! Then I won't have to go "vroom! vroom!" anymore, I hope! :)

19. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #94 walnut, Nov 14, 2013
    The two outer carbs are cleaned, painted, and rebuilt. Two inner units to go, then reassemble the bank of four. I just placed this one on to show how I decided to use the same color scheme on the carbs as the engine. Too much? Well, if it is, I don't care! It's my bike and I love the consistency. :)

20. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #95 walnut, Nov 14, 2013
    The putty work on the tank is finished, just a couple more coats of red primer and sanding at finer grits to get rid of any deep scratches from sanding before it's ready for base and clear coats. Before I finish the red though I'm going to tape off and paint the under side with high-temp semi-gloss black to protect the finish from the engine heat.

21. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Vroom! Vroom! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #97 walnut, Nov 16, 2013
  23. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Last night I got the welder set up and started melting some metal (I won't call what I did welding so as to not insult folks who actually can weld with any degree of skill!) filling in many/most of the pin holes in the exhaust manifold. I've got a bit of clean-up to do and a second round of welding after I identify any holes I've missed. Before I started, I put a flood light up to the end of the header and looked at it in the dark and well, crap, there's a lot more holes than I thought there was! I got worried at first because it actually made one or two of the holes bigger instead of smaller but then I Googled a few videos, check/adjusted my settings, and went back at it with a significantly higher degree of success.

I'm hoping to finish patching it by this weekend and get it prepped with some header paint. That'll be one more step towards getting the bike running. The third carb should be finished by then also with only the number two carb needing to be completely disassembled for cleaning/paint yet.

24. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I made a lathe! Ok, well, perhaps that's over selling it by a little bit...

Last night I was taking a bit of time to clean up the fuel hardlines that run between the carbs. Most of them are aluminum but there is a "T" and a another piece that are brass. I was thinking about a conversation I had at work earlier in the day, during which, one of my coworkers was turning something on a lathe. At that point I realized I could chuck the tubes up in my cordless drill and clean them up very easilly by going over them with progressively higher grit sandpaper!

On another positive note, it looks like I should have enough time this weekend to get the rest of the carbs cleaned, painted, and the whole bank back together (with filters) and reattached to the motor. On top that, I plan on getting the side stand bracket tack welded into place and the exhaust manifold sealed up. Wish me luck! I will post pictures of the progress sometime on Sunday.

25. walnut

walnut F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 14, 2006
    Maryland, USA
    Full Name:
    Rich
    #100 walnut, Nov 22, 2013
    Here's a quick before & after picture set of the number 2 carb (last one to be cleaned). This is just the external clean up and it still needs to be run through the ultrasonic, painted, and reassembled (obviously). All of the linkages have been disassembled and will be cleaned up also. Refer to post #94 for a picture of the number 1 carb which has been completed.

All of the hardware is being replaced with stainless steel cap screws. There's one or two exceptions where the current interior stuff is in good shape but all in all, I'm trying to keep it clean for the longer term.