Center Cap Warning | FerrariChat

Center Cap Warning

Discussion in '308/328' started by tinterow, Apr 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    330gt likes this.
  2. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    That's too bad the ones I got from them a couple of months ago were the correct one. Hopefully they can correct.

3. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #3 tinterow, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #4 tinterow, Apr 19, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    All I can tell you is they match the OEM caps on my 85 perfectly and the color of the cap on my 308 is the same as those on my 355. And yes I'm sure the OEM caps on my 308 are original because I bought the car new.

6. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

They look like the originals on mine also....

7. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Mine is a 1980 308 GTSi. Could I be wrong? Say it isn't so!

8. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I was just told by the seller that he doesn't understand why I keep bothering him. That the difference in pictures is because of the lighting...LOL!!! I think the difference in pics is so that someone will buy them and not complain...but "Homey" don't play that! :)

9. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    If you're using your monitor to judge the color accuracy of what you received, it will never work (barring some expensive hardware and software). How about a side to side with the old center caps off your car and one of the new ones?

10. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Hey, Gator. That is exactly my point. My thirty five year old originals are identical to the top pic above. Also, i am not concerned with the exact shade of yellow (color accuracy) it's that they aren't even close...even in his auction. Check it out...link is above. He shows two different examples, but features the dark ones and hides the true product at the bottom of the page. He features the one you "don't" get. He should simply use his lower three photos to represent exactly what you receive.

11. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Honestly it's hard to see the detail on the pics that aren't zoomed in like the ones that are at the top of the page. If yours don't match the pics at the top I'd dispute first via eBay and then with your credit card company.

FWIW I have a set on the way, based on a recommendation from someone here. If they aren't as advertised I'll report back here and dispute as I advised above.

12. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Ok! Good luck...If you're expecting the ones in the main pic at the top of the auction, you'll be disappointed. Look forward to a report from you. It does appear that the bright yellow "is" correct for later cars, but that's not the point. It's the misleading pics and maybe my fault for not seeing it at first. Never occured to me that I wouldn't receive the one pictured at the top of the auction.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I don't think I have ever noticed a difference before.

14. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I can't tell. Please consider taking a pic of one of your fakes up-close and show the 2 together and point out discrepancies.

15. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    Just look at the inside if the dont have the same markings as you old ones then the are not OEM, the color did change in production even in the origionals but the moulding did not

16. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    There is no way they are OEM, nor was I expecting that. I was only expecting what was portrayed in their auction, which is the uppermost pic above. The lower pic (bright yellow) is what I received. Maybe I never made it clear that it is the color "only" that I have a problem with. OEM?...LOL!

17. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    #17 308gt4++, Apr 20, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    For that particular listing:

Returns: 14 days, buyer pays return shipping | See details

Guarantee: Money Back Guarantee | See details
    Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
    Covers your purchase price and original shipping.

So...if you don't like the item, then just return it...the most you'd be losing is about $10 if you send the item back by a cheap method...(maybe less)...or maybe the ebay guarantee will cover the return shipping part also....

The questions is...how much or your time are you willing to spend on an item you apparently don't want...for $10 or so at most...(and hopefully nothing...just file an ebay/payapl case to see about the return shipping part...that's if the seller won't pay the return shipping part right off, when you indicate you're gonna file a case...since he knows he'll probably get a negative feedback then etc.).

PS The wheels I have, (which were dealer take offs from a mid 80's 308, I believe), have the brighter yellow badges, as shown in the lower pictures...YMMV....

Edit: You seem to be implying that the listing is purposely misleading...but since most people here (and in pics I see on the web also) seem to indicate that they have the brighter yellow ones, it would be counterproductive for the seller to advertise the apparently much (much) less popular ones on purpose wouldn't it??? Maybe the pics were just taken in different light like he says...(from what I know about photography, which isn't that awful much...I'm sure that's also possible)....

18. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    #18 tinterow, Apr 20, 2015
    My point is, if the seller would simply take a picture of "the" item he is selling, instead of showing three pics of old OEM caps, there would be no problem. If you read above, the seller told me the discrepancy in color was from different photographic lighting, hence he sold me "the item I ordered" and he would not accept a return. And he's right, it is the item I ordered...just not in the shade of yellow as depicted in his main photo of the product. Just because they state it, doesn't mean they will follow through and eBay will back them up because all but the most black and white judgements are now in the seller's favor :( If I would have been shown the exact item, I would have bought them from Ferrparts for $40 cheaper. He advertises his product honestly :)

19. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    Sorry I missed that part about him not taking the return...I have about 500 buyer feedbacks on ebay, all positive...and have never lost an ebay/paypal case in a similar situation...in any case, good luck....

20. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    #20 308gt4++, Apr 20, 2015
    I would also reference this thread to the seller, and indicate it's on one of the most popular Ferrari chat sites in the Universe...and if he's any kind of business person at all he'll take the return instantly...I'm already surprised that the possible negative feedback (threat) isn't enough for him to "do the right thing"...(the customer is always right, you know)....

21. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    I already told him...didn't budge :(

22. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    BTW, there is an auction for an actual set of "brand new" OEM caps on eBay for $200 :)

23. 308gt4++

308gt4++ Formula 3

Apr 12, 2015
    I would go ahead and file a case...just say that what you got doesn't match the OEM part on your car, even though his listing says the items are "GENUINE" and made for (calls out) your car...again, good luck and all the best....

24. tinterow

tinterow Formula 3

Nov 1, 2014
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Chaya Tinterow
    Thanks, Dale!

25. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    I have bought several sets of these. I just checked them against some NOS caps I have laying around.

Mine are indistinguishable in all respects save two.

The 'defects' are this. On the NOS, the yellow disk emblem sits flush with the black surround and is slightly rounded outward whereas the REPO is ever so slightly pushed further in and seems slightly flatter. It is recessed a quarter millimeter as a fair guess, maybe less.

The color and horseys of the two are identical to the naked eye in all respects.

At a distance of 18 inches there was absolutely no distinguishable difference.

NO affiliation other than a happy repeat customer. And for only $130? I'll take um Thanx.