Center console disassembly to refinish auto r ps buttons | FerrariChat

Center console disassembly to refinish auto r ps buttons

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by csfjax, Dec 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. csfjax

csfjax Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Fanning
    #1 csfjax, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    I’m gonna have my auto, r, and ps buttons refinished. Does anyone know how to remove them so I can send off to be refinished?

thanks in advance.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The entire center console must be removed from the car. It can then be disassembled to remove the switches.

3. csfjax

csfjax Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Fanning
    Thanks for response.. do you know where I can find any info on how to remove the center console? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The best source of information would be a factory repair manual (on CD) from the factory. These are extremely expensive, but have very good detailed instructions and photos of the interior disassembly. There are sellers on ebay selling pirated copies of the factory CD's, also at stupid prices:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-Ferrari-California-Workshop-Manual-Latest-04-09-2019/133220848618?fits=Model%3ACalifornia%7CMake%3AFerrari&hash=item1f0494d3ea:g:b5YAAOSw~L1df4gu

Most of them have the "Best Offer" option. I would low-ball all of them to see if one will bite for $75-100, as the manual will be useful in the future.

You don't list the model year of your car. The consoles are different for California/30 and California T. What year is it?

The next option is to look at a parts breakdown of the center console.
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/california-group/california-09/accessory-console-and-centre-console.html

This will show you how the parts are connected to each other and give you an idea of how they come apart. You will need a good set of interior pry tools to avoid damaging the console leather and flocked surfaces when prying apart the parts held together with male pins going into female clips. I bought two sets from Harbor Freight Tools for a few dollars in order to get two of the wide thin plastic pry tools that spread the load over a large area avoiding damage. You will also need some 1/4" drive bits (3mm, 4mm allen and t15. t20, t30 Torx) along with a driver or bit ratchet. It might be good to buy a whole set on Amazon, as you will need them in the future for many of the fasteners on the car. An electric bit driver will make things like removing the engine trim panels or belly panels.

If you need, I can walk you through the removal process. Please note that those switches are wired together on one harness, so if you damage one you can only purchase all three as a single part. Once the switches are removed, you will not be able to put the car in reverse.

Brian Brown
    San Francisco Motorsports.

whatheheck, gsholz and vjd3 like this.
  5. csfjax

csfjax Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Fanning
    Wow really great info. Really appreciate the time you took to put together such a helpful response. Thanks so much for that. I’m gonna look into getting the factory repair manual and try that route first. Hopefully I can remove these without damaging anything. Also it’s a 2011 California. Thanks again.

6. spiraljeff

spiraljeff Rookie

Aug 20, 2017
    Mill Valley, Ca
    Full Name:
    Jeff Neugebauer
    It's really super simple. I replaced my center console a couple of years ago. The top part of the console (up by the dash) has no screws - just pins that fit securely into mating holes. The screws are at the back under the the small, glove box thing between the seats. Just lift it open and I think you have to remove 4 screws and lift the console tray insert out. Once removed, disengage the wire connectors. Done. To get to the buttons, you'll see the screws on the underside of the console after you remove it.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  7. csfjax

csfjax Rookie

Nov 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Chris Fanning
    Wow thanks so much really appreciate the pics. Feeling way more confident about it now. Gonna send my buttons off to be refinished right after New Years. Thanks!

8. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I’d like to do the same, where are you going to have this done? I also thought about just replacing them but I can’t find the parts on any of the suppliers websites.

9. mikeprice

mikeprice Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    I have the workshop manual, if any one would a copy email will send it to you

10. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That would be great, thanks

[email protected]

11. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Does anyone know how to do this on the California T and Portofino?

12. Minze

Minze Rookie

Jul 31, 2017
    Padova
    Hello, could you mail me the pdf also? Thanks. My mail address is [email protected].

13. Bill Phillips

Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I received the OneDrive link and I've tried everything but I'm unable to open the file on either my Windows desktop or my Apple iPad.

14. mikeprice

mikeprice Rookie

Jun 19, 2010
    it will ask you to send me a link to authorise it, the files large

Bill Phillips likes this.
  15. KMac

KMac Rookie

Dec 10, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kevin McClure
    Could I please get a copy? Thank you very much. [email protected]

16. Defmeister

Defmeister Karting

Aug 3, 2019
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Hi Mike, If possible, could I have a copy too? [email protected]
    Thanks
    Def.

17. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
  18. DutchinFL

DutchinFL Karting

Mar 28, 2011
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Collin Ziemerink
  19. fahlmanb

fahlmanb Karting

May 14, 2014
    Mount Pleasant, MI
    Full Name:
    Brad Fahlman
    Hi Mike,

I would like a copy - my email is [email protected]. Thx much in advance,
    Brad.

20. Mafiaboy1975

Mafiaboy1975 Formula Junior

Aug 10, 2019
    South Africa
    Full Name:
    Mick

California T....
    Remove the center console. It’s very easy,

4 bolts in the centre console compartment under rubber mat.

4 under the actual buttons. Pry out the square cover and the bolts are under there and the 2 bolts in the cup holder. Think that was it if I remember. Then the center console lifts out and you can remove the bridge with buttons in.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Thanks a lot,Mickey! You got me started on the right track. I wanted to access the wiring harness that plugs into the front of the electrical socket in the front of the console compartment and use that harness for an electric vest connection.

Here's how it works on the Portofino: 4 bolts in console compartment under rubber mat. 4 bolts under cover under bridge. 2 bolts under console cover between rear seats. All T25. The front and rear covers have to be pried up carefully but with force. They make unpleasant noises during removal but it is all metal-to-metal scraping-no plastic involved.

Mafiaboy1975 likes this.
  22. Mrs. Kenco

Mrs. Kenco Rookie

Jan 26, 2010
    St. Petersburg, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Toni Gruchacz
    Hi Mike, I just purchased a 2010 & would love to have the manual as well, if you wouldn't mind. [email protected].
    Thank you, this is very kind of you.

23. John McBride

John McBride Rookie

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    John McBride
    I would love a copy of the shop manual via email.
    Thanks so much

24. Mohamed Haider

Mar 21, 2020
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Mohamed Haider
  25. John McBride

John McBride Rookie

Dec 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    John McBride
    [email protected]