Center console panel replacements | FerrariChat

Center console panel replacements

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Valenzo, Jul 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My T has two black console 'bezels' if you will, that are not perfect.

1 is a bit warped and is pulling up from the side. I supposed i could try to glue it but i dont think it would hold. I would need to take it off, warm it and try to flatten it again. Could be done.

The other has scratches on it.

Are they available or has someone come up with an aftermarket?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    snj5 did a metal one for the 3.2, you can see if that would work.

I would love it if they came back to production, I have the same problem..

3. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    snj5 did a metal one for the 3.2, you can see if that would work.

I would love it if they came back to production, I have the same problem..

4. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks for that but I'd prefer it to be exactly like what I have just newer. So i guess I'll just clean up mine.

5. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Are you trying to make a perfect car?

I saw one of these on ebay from Ferrparts.

Ferrari Mondial T Dashboard Plate 62530700 | eBay

I think yours looks better than the photo of what they are selling.

I have dealt with these guys. Sometimes good, sometimes not so much. They drop the ball sometimes.
    Speak to Brian, he seems to be the sharpest guy there. He has a good brain database.

Before you buy, I would try to fix what you have. That part is held on in the corners as well as some screws that also hold the clock in. Real difficult to get off. I think the whole damn console may need to be removed to get back there. Watch out for the fiber-optic back light plastic clamps. They break easily, especially when cold. I guess we don't have to worry about that right now. It was 105 today in NYC!

I installed all new switches for the bonnets, engine cover and gas cap just before the Palooza. Those are way more important than the plastic escutcheon plate you want to replace. A bad switch can burn out the solenoids that release the bonnets, etc. Ask me how I know. Go ahead and try to find those solenoids. I found 2 in the UK. I lucked out and got them for a song after a long search. Just lucky.
    I got those switches in by cheating. Not telling ;). PM me if you want the skinny.
    If you find the correct way of getting this thing off let me know, I want to replace my clock.

DavidJ

6. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Just the guy I wanted to talk to. Yes, I'd like her to be as good as I can get. Just a few little things as you go.

BUT, the hell with that right now. My dash and fog lights went out tonight. I say tonight, but I haven't used my headlights since Hershey.

So I drove home in internal darkness (actually nice) and undid my fuse box panel (all new parts + gck). Plucked out the 'fendin luci strom' fuse and its fine. I'm learning Italian.

Switch? They seem to be on the same circuit. Theres only 2 choices, right. What do you think?

7. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #7 Valenzo, Jul 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    David

When you take the panel off, is it more than just the 'ash' tray and the small stow that holds it in place. Do you take knobs off as well? I'm going to look at my switches. I've been in there a few times, it's where the seller paid me back 1.38 in change, and I remember it to be quite fragile.

It will give me a chance to reconnect my lighter that I accidentally screw apart when cleaning and see if my antenna is connected, also, the see this bulb you spoke of.

8. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I would try a new relay first if you have one. Otherwise: spray the magic Deoxit-5 in the fuse holder and clean the fuse tangs with it too. In and out a few times will make that a non issue.
    Two different switches, headlights and fog lights. Possible but not likely that both failed at the same time.
    You know, since we all got rained on heavily, I'm thinking grounds got wet and starting rusting. My after market alarm starting going off on the way home. I disconnected the ground wire, that was it.
    Maybe check those.

Switch replacement is a good idea but the magic spray can help for a while and help isolate the issue.
    If its the steering column headlight switch, that could be an expensive problem.
    I think there is a Fchatter that rebuilds these things. "Virell" I think.

Say hi to the family...

DavidJ

9. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I've been in there. Yes the knobs come off with a small (really small) allen wrench. Don't loose that screw! Just loosen a 1/8 of a turn or so, just enough to pull the knobs off.
    Those fiber optic things are all over that panel on the inside, be careful.
    Remove the shift knob, unscrew the shift gate screws, unscrew the cassette compartment screws (not the flip top). The whole front of the console will lift off. Lot of wires in there don't pull up without taking a good look at the wire layout as you go.
    I found a mouse nest in there. No money though (and no mouse poop, lucky for me).

Remember the plastics are really old and may be brittle, go slow and be gentle.

DavidJ

10. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm going to do it on Sunday morning, well rested. I'll post the riveting pics afterwards.

Everyone talks deoxit-5, where do you get it? Autozone?

Btw, you have a lovely wife, it was very nice chatting with her.

Thanks DJ

11. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    It's audio/video stuff

Markertek - Search

You can Google it and find it in a bunch of places. There are several types of DeoxIT. I use DeoxIt-5. I think the Gold version is good too, but read up on the uses for the product you think you will buy. We use this stuff on audio and video patch bays when they get noisy. It works wonders. You need to use a wiping motion to really clean corrosion off the contacts however. Use the smallest amount possible, don't soak a gallon on the contacts. Wipe off the excess with a micro fiber cloth, don't leave any lint or other crap behind.
    I did all of the connections in the trunk where the engine ECUs are located. Also did the stupid seat belt mice. It fixed those suckers.

BTW: I realized I didn't tell you there is a metal plate (part of the console) below the plastic escutcheon plastic plate. That is where the switches are mounted. So to remove anything in that area you need to pull the console up. Don't remove the knobs until you see what you need to address first.
    If your fan speed control is only full on and off and nothing in-between, I have the same problem and I am going to re-design the speed control at some point.

DJ

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Which relay is for the dash lights? Of course i found the fuse because its clearly marked but the relay is not so clear

13. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    I think the dash lights are on the same relay as the parking lights. The fog lights are on their own relay. Off hand I don't know which is which but look at the owners manual, that should show you what is what.
    Did you try to adjust the dimmer for the dash lights, maybe it is in a dead spot on the potentiometer. Turn it back and forth a few times. It's a candidate for the magic spray. It's the thing that sticks out of the speedo, or is it the tach...can't remember right now. It's too damn hot to think straight!!!

DJ

14. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    lol Yes! That was the first thing i tried, several times.

Im going to stop by radio-shack on my way home to see if they have deoxit, then look for this relay on the box panel. I dont have an owners manual (its on my list)

15. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
  16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
  17. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Ted,

Try clicking on the link and then "Refresh Page". Or, use Chrome instead.

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    i'll have to try on a non Apple computer then. thanks

19. soucorp

soucorp F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2011
    Old Dominion
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #19 soucorp, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
    try this one, look for 89 T US towards bottom. fchat wont pull pdf back as its too big in size.
    All Ferraris

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks, Mike. That link worked and I found and confirmed that the fuse i checked is ok, but like you said, there's no relay for the dash and or fog lights.

What would make the fogs and dash lights go out together? Since both are on the same circuit, where else would you check?

21. peterdavid911

peterdavid911 Formula 3

Apr 9, 2012
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Hi Ted,
    Try this link, it's to the same page that Mike sent you. If this does not work just go to Ferraridatabase.com and click on the downloads section and look for owners manuals and you will see a huge list and yours is there.

Hope it helps.

All Ferraris

22. DavidJ

DavidJ Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2012
    Northern NJ
    Full Name:
    David
    Did you check fuse #8, #16 and #21?
    If so, I vote for (unfortunately) the stalk switch that switches on the lights.
    There is one on ebay. Expensive though.

As I mentioned earlier there is a Fchatter that overhauls these things. I think his screen name is Verell.

DJ

23. mulo rampante

mulo rampante Formula Junior

May 31, 2011
    Terra Incognita
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Just to get back to the notion of a custom solution... frontpanelexpress.com will make parts to your specification. Might make sense if you have something different in mind, or if you're looking to do a small production run, not so sure for a simple replacement part.

I expect to be making new transilluminated panels for my car this winter... they will be very different than stock, but not offensive I hope! (Think aircraft). We have a large CNC router at work. We do front panels on it all the time, albeit in anodized aluminum.

24. Bad Dogg

Bad Dogg Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2006
    Avon, CT
    Full Name:
    Howard
    Anodized aluminum works for me..

25. Brian420

Brian420 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2009
    Suburb of Detroit
    Full Name: