News

Central Florida garage addition

Discussion in 'Florida' started by JohnnyRay, Apr 8, 2019.

1. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    I had some shingles come off in hurricane Irma and they were miles off a match for the original ones. I was just wondering if you had come across a color chart. Garage looks great by the way.

2. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Roofing contractors and supply houses will have selection palettes for Certainteed, Owens-Corning and others. Should be able to find a match that way. Of course, there are batch variations to consider - which is why you ideally want to do a re-roof out of a single load/production lot...

3. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Project is coming along nicely. Stucco blended in. And we added some detail with keystones and a "thicker" band along with a small overhang above the doors and bay window. Adds a bit of 3 dimensional detail and has the appearance of a beam, rather than just a wrap. Door openings are now 7'-9" vs 7'-0" as originally built to provide needed clearance for boat storage. Not too tall, not too small... :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

BMW.SauberF1Team and energy88 like this.
  5. energy88

energy88 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Fredericksburg, VA & Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    John
    Turned out nice!

6. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    Welcome to Central Florida! When we were looking for our house (we work for the Theme Parks, so very distanced constrained) it was VERY difficult to find a house even in our decent price range with a sizable 3 car garage near Orlando with room for a lift. They just don’t build them like that here. And every house built in the last 10 years here has an HOA which prevents your (excellent idea!) modifications as an option too. Took us almost 3 months, but we ended up finally finding something with 3 cars.. *barely* enough height for a lift (for whatever reason the builders always stopped the garage ceilings at less than 10 ft), and I actually some workshop space as well which is nearly unheard of. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Looks like you have a good find there! (assuming the home is nice as well) :) We were fortunate enough to find ours in an area outside of city limits, where the lot size is approximately a half acre on the canal or lake - and our HOA is minimal cost and minimally intrusive (a friendly architectural review committee and a small annual fee for street lights is the scope). I know what you mean about the ceiling height - but 10 ft is generous for a normal garage - and will allow a lift with low profile cars. And going two cars deep meas that the front stalls do not have the overhead door in the way. I originally was trying to incorporate a raised tray ceiling in at least one stall section to increase the height; however the complexity befuddled every contractor who looked at it. Finally nixed that (and a separate storage/work room off the back corner) due to huge cost adders. Seems that they could not get their arms around reworking the hip roof construction and were just throwing money at it. In any event, we may skip the lift for now and just bring one more car down. I am curious which lift you chose, what you like about it and where you sourced it?

8. Clnilsen

Clnilsen Karting

Jan 14, 2012
    Celebration, FL
    Full Name:
    Chuck Nilsen
    I'm incredibly excited I have a workshop off the back of my garage - it's actually a "feature" that came from the builder cheapening out and not adding a full size theater room to our house. I have no use for such a thing anyway, and the wall basically got shifted back into the house creating this dead area that works PERFECT for me.

Funny story on the lift - It's actually not the one I was going to get, but around the holidays Home Dept had a 25% off EVERYTHING on their website coupon (only ran for like 4 hours that day) with free home delivery. Did you know HD sells full size car lifts? I didn't. Home Depot didn't know either. :) They actually were on there as part of a reseller program. When I ordered it, I got a call from corporate and they initially refused to ship since I didn't have a loading dock at my house to offload. So I got it delivered to a HD store for free. If you've ever seen a lift shipped, it's a sizable portion of a Full size semi trailer. So the Store receives this and offers to deliver it to my house. I mention there's no fork truck or loading dock here, and the store manager said "no problem" and arranges for a fork truck to come to my house. Easy peasy!

I actually like the Danmar lift I have... it works well for what I need of it. It goes up, it goes down, and has plenty of interlocks for flexibility in spacing. I did have it professionally installed (wife insisted) but it only cost me a few hundred to do so. I did also spluge on aluminum ramps however.. the steel ones that come with it are WAAAY to heavy for easy use.

9. tamiami

tamiami Rookie

Mar 14, 2007
    energy88 likes this.
  10. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Yikes!