Centre Console | FerrariChat

Centre Console

Discussion in '206/246' started by ghenne, Jan 5, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Here are some pictures of my centre console. I am restoring the car, and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I've owned the car since 1984. The console was already like this when I bought it. The serial number is 2966. It's covered in what appears to be leather, with a cigarette lighter which looks different than the usual.

According to the Compendium, most consoles (except for a few of the later cars) were covered in vinyl. The lighters have a round hole.

The rest of the car is being redone to a high standard. Should I redo the console too?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Hello George,

it`s possible your centre console was done in black leather (NERO VM8500) originaly.....
    very unusual for an E-Series... but was possible in few cases (client request)
    if you take the centre console out of the car, you should be able to see if it was redone (old glue residue on the inside)

Regards Matthias

3. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If the seats are being done in leather than you will want to do the center console (3 pcs), rear firewall panel, door skins, and door sills in leather. This would be consistent with a car that would have been ordered with full leather trim. If the seats are being done in heat pressed vinyl then you would want to do these items in vinyl too. I personally would go with leather because it looks better finished and the seats will be more comfortable (personal opinion).

pshoejberg likes this.
  4. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
  5. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
  6. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    That's not correct for an E series Rob. Only the seats and door cards came in leather and the rear wall panel seems to be an area that could also be specified in leather. My old car 04054 (May '72 build) was ordered with Nero VM8500 leather but had a vinyl rear wall panel with only the seats and door cards trimmed in Connolly leather. The door sills, seat rail covers and the three centre console sections were Nero 151 vinyl. I have a copy of a UK price list from Maranello Concessionaires from November '72 and it lists leather but makes no mention of the rear wall panel. I recall Matthias saying that towards the end of E series production some cars came with leather seats only so it seems Ferrari were cutting costs in the interior materials.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Thank you Iain for clarifying that and I apologize for the mis-information.