Ceramic Coating | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Thad McLaurin, Sep 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Thad McLaurin

Thad McLaurin Rookie

Sep 2, 2018
    Ridgeland, Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Thad McLaurin
    Does anyone have experience with the new ceramic coatings on a Ferrari? I am particularly concerned with the long-term effects on the cars finish.

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I have no actual experience, but I will say this - I looked into a full detail and ceramic job for my 575 and it was almost exactly half of a high-quality repaint, so I kept on movin' :)

No tailgating, good wax and sensible washing procedures will go a long way. Just my opinion, of course.

Graz and bergxu like this.
  3. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    I would just go for a clear bra.

4. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    bergxu, greg246 and 635CSI like this.
  5. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    308 GTB likes this.
  6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I haven’t tried it, but I will. People who have it really like it and it is much easier to keep the car perfect.

7. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    308 GTB likes this.
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Hi Aaron,

Did you notice the cracked spoiler and fog lamp lens? That picture was taken at 59,000 miles. The spoiler was repaired, the fog lamp replaced, and the front resprayed. The car has 75,000 now and is collecting new road rash. I had to replace another cracked fog lamp last year. Most of the damage was due to extensive use of the car at track events, ~10,000 track miles.

Barry

Image Unavailable, Please Login

INTMD8 and F456M like this.
  9. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #9 308 GTB, Sep 16, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    It gave the car some character, that's for sure! Kinda reminds me of...

F456M and Chupacabra like this.
  10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    This 430 owner parked next to me at Daytona was concerned about getting chips on his windshield. I offered to help him put blue tape on that too...

:)

Bas, RKZ841, F456M and 3 others like this.
  11. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Pay the premium for a reputable company and installer and you'll be fine. Gteqniq and opticoat are the best around. Gyeon and cquartz are pretty good as well.

12. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Barry,

That's excellent. After all, they're just machines made to be used. The best 308 I ever owned was bought with 71K miles and sold with 102K and the guy I sold it to is still driving the heck out of it!

I'm way short of that kind of mileage on any of my current Ferraris but I just did 500 miles this past weekend in my '99 456M. The car runs better and better the more it's driven, no doubt

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

F456M, 308 GTB and Chupacabra like this.
  13. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Thats true. I have experienced the same. My central locking have never been so polite as now when I use the car most every day.... The power steering also works perfect as opposed to earlier when I used the car just a couple of times per year when it got the heavy steering once in a while. I have not much worries about «high miles» Ferraris. High miles in a normal car is 200.000++ Then 40.000 miles on a car build this well is nothing!

308 GTB and RKZ841 like this.
  14. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I just purchased a 612, and the previous owner's son had applied a ceramic coating. Not sure if I am supposed to mention brand names here, so PM if you are interested. The coating was applied over 2 years ago, and the car's exterior literally looks like it just came out of the showroom.

15. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    of course you can mention the name of the product you had a good experience with...please do.

16. lee-o

lee-o Karting

Dec 8, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    Lee
    Hello Arizonaitalian - I have an '05 612, and the son of the previous owner of the car applied a ceramic coating called "Kamikaze Miyabi", over two years ago. He has maintained it using a product called "Kenotek Showroom Shine."

I don't have current photos that do justice to the paint, but it does literally look like it came out of the showroom. Because of the coating, the car is also extremely easy to wash.

bball16 likes this.
  17. luca's308gts

luca's308gts Karting

Dec 16, 2016
    Minneapolis
    Full Name:
    Bill
    I have a '98 550 that the previous owner also applied "Kamikaze Miyabi on. Additionally he, and now I applied/apply Kamikaze Overcoat which is a sacrificial overcoat. I have used the overcoat on my Porsches, Jag and even on my Alfa. It is amazing, the water beads up and almost all runs off. I've been caught in the rain and the car is virtually clean except for the rear. Based on these results I also recommend Kamikazi.

18. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I have it applied on several of my cars, including my 550. The protection from the coating is pretty amazing and I am very pleased. While my 550 is red, many of my cars are black and it really makes a difference in maintenance. That said, I feel a lot of the visual impact is from proper paint prep and correction prior to the application of the coating.

F456M likes this.
  19. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    no one has any idea what long term effects are. i have tried a few ceramics and will never use one again, total scam.

cgt000 likes this.
  20. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    LMAO!

21. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    I don’t quite understand why ceramic coating is so expensive (as an add-on to detailing). You can buy them for $50 a bottle (last 2 cars) and apply as easy as wax (okay, may be extra 15 min).

I’ve done it myself a couple of times, pretty easy to do.

22. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    ceramic coating on my 550 works awesome! Like glass...

23. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Watching ceramic being applied on youtube looks way easier and faster than applying wax. As i said the entire ceramic thing is a scam price wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk