Ceramic Coating | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Chizz, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I think the point here is that it's the initial work done on the paint correction that is giving the perfect shine and reflection, and you can either protect that with carnauba wax, which is gentle on the paint but must be applied more regularly, or with these ceramic products, which are much harder, last longer, but apparently when they start to fail, you have to take some pretty labor intensive and abrasive measures to remove the failing product and get back to the original paint surface. As ttforcefed noted, any sort of heavy abrasive measures done on single-stage paint is removing the actual pigment layer, which you want to avoid; two-stage paint you are in the clear coat, not great either, but more tenable. Anyone who has applied even a gentle polish to red single-stage paint is aware how much pigment is coming off the car. With clear coat, you don't see it, but it's there.

Certainly, for years and years before these ceramic coatings, carefully corrected paint retained that sort of mirror shine with proper washing techniques. And, if you love your car, it's enjoyable to gently spread a nice coat of wax on it by hand and see the results. Ceramic is perhaps more forgiving initially, as it's a harder surface, but apparently there is a price to pay down the road when it starts to break down. To me, it would be more viable on top of the clear film because the paint is safe underneath. I had that done on my former California 30.

There's no right or wrong answer, and no need to throw insults or memes around, this ain't Reddit, after all. Shared experiences increase knowledge. Everyone's car looks great, and I'm sure the F40 is equally stunning, wax and all.

2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Exactly Right, but somehow blasphemous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AD211 likes this.
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Well thank goodness you are here to tell them what they see in my pictures is an illusion

4. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Chizz likes this.
  5. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    You are correct. And I certainly have no problems agreeing to disagree. Just look at my posts. However, this thread was originally really great and I was able to find a great new product from a another member (fireman). Then “Mr. Carnuba” turned it into something less enjoyable. I would rather folks have their opinion, show their evidence, smile and move on. No need for accusations and vitriol.

G. Pepper and Fireman1291 like this.
  6. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    It was great cuz no one had a different but informed view? Interesting. Why participate in a forum?

7. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    My view is also informed. It was great because no one was arguing and people were enjoying seeing nicely cared for F-cars. I won’t respond to any more of your posts here. Enjoy your car as you’d like.

snakes and AD211 like this.
  8. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Fixed it.

AD211 and Chizz like this.
  9. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

Attached Files:

Tito1969, Chizz and Fireman1291 like this.
  10. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    The local company experienced with Ferraris gave me September as their next available date because in August nobody works here.

In the meantime my Carpro Reload arrived. Would it be ok to apply the Carpro Reload without having ceramic coating? Just have the car washed, and then do it? Can I do it myself?

11. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i tried giving you your fake news platform back in post 46 but for some reason you guys didn't take it.

Ceramics shine better than carnuba. fake news.
    Ceramics are more durable than carnuba. fact.
    Ceramics last 5 yrs plus. Fake news.
    Ceramics make a car easier to wash. fact.
    Ceramics on single stage paint is safe. fake news.
    Ceramics require violent polishing to remove once they've deteriorated fact.
    Ceramics make sense for daily drivers that see the elements. fact.
    Ceramic over ppf is more prudent than directly on paint. fact
    Ceramics can be applied by novices. fake news.
    The correction part of the detail is more important than the ceramic - fact.
    Most concours winners use ceramics - fake news.

snakes and BOKE like this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok. cool.

13. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Hi Bro! Sorry to respond to you so late but there has been so much distraction on this thread recently. My opinion is to wait to use the Reload until after the ceramic treatment. It is a coating booster. You can absolutely apply it yourself. Just follow the instructions on the bottle.
    In the meantime of waiting I would just keep it clean because you will be getting a paint correction done by the Detailer anyway.
    I hope fireman chimes in here as well since he has been using the product longer than I have. But you will love the results.
    Good luck!! Post pics! Can’t wait to see it.

14. liquid360

liquid360 Karting

Sep 25, 2018
    Caeruleus11, G. Pepper and Chizz like this.
  15. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Don't do anything until after the coating is done and cured. Depending on humidity and weather in your area don't get the car wet for two weeks after coating. They will wash, clay, acid wash, and correct your paint before applying the ceramic. You don't want ANYTHING on the paint before coating. You'll just be wasting the reload product and your most precious commodity, time.

As for the detailer, it is imperative you ask around and make sure they are the best. You need to find the installer who knows paint correction inside and out, it's the most important step. Two weeks after coating you can apply the Carpro Reload and step back in amazement as it smacks anything Carnauba can offer into the ground where it belongs.

Chizz likes this.
  16. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    She looks great! Do yourself a favor and buy a bottle of Carpro Reload on amazon (link on previous pages somewhere) and apply it after your next wash. Please post pics after :)

Chizz likes this.
  17. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  18. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    ^^^^ awesome reply right on the money^^^^

19. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
  20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Is the ceramic on top or beneath the ppf?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky

Chizz and Way2fast like this.
  22. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    LMAO

Way2fast and BOKE like this.
  23. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Don't get cocky. :cool:

energy88 and G. Pepper like this.
  24. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Well then... who am I to argue with a infomercial!!! 52 car washes and it still beads up!! Straight out of a junkyard! Lol!!! Sign me up

Fireman1291 likes this.