Ceramic coating | FerrariChat

Ceramic coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Husker, Sep 12, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Does it help prevent future swirling and micro scratches from dry skin? I’m not asking for miracles - just curious if it provides legit protect from dust and towel scratches.

2. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Very minor marring it will protect against but not much. Mainly think of them as waxes on steroids. If you have a washed car and drive it, even just to the gas station and back, it’s technically dirty and shouldn’t be wiped down. No matter what you have on the surface, this will cause light scratches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I've been impressed with the durability of the ceramic coat on my car. The previous owner spent a bucket of money to have the car polished, paint corrected and ceramic coated. Dirt literally slides right off. The black soot that comes out the exhaust wipes off without leaving a residue. I still haven't actually water washed my car in a year and it looks perfect. I do use a spray cleaner and quality Korean microfiber towels to wipe it down but have never used water. This is the easiest car to keep clean that I have ever owned thanks to the ceramic coating. I think it must have anti-static properties as well as I don't get that inevitable dust on the surface and the rear of the car. The product used is called XPEL.

A couple of weeks ago I was running down the expressway at about 85 or so and passed a landscaping trailer that suddenly expressed a bunch of stones that hit the front and right side of the car. I thought that was going to be a total mess but after examination, I couldn't find a single scratch or chip that resulted from the impacts. I'm sure it was the ceramic coating that saved the paint.

Your experience may vary. The results of a ceramic coat are entirely dependent on preparation of the car and the skill of the technician doing the job.

4. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    My shop also says scratches on ceramic can't be polished off. Same with water spots.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i put ceramic directly on 2 suvs that i leave outside, same swirling as regular wax happens.

6. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    That I don’t agree with. I haven’t had issues in the past with trying to remove scratches of water spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. F5506M

F5506M Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Scratches can be removed, but you also remove the ceramic coating. After removing scratches you will have to re-coat the area with a ceramic coating.

8. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I absolutely love it. Every year I have a booster coat done on the 458 and it looks incredible. I have it on my. DD Panamera and it makes washing an absolute breeze.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    Each car that I own gets fully corrected and then ceramic coated. When I did my 2015 Yukon I had it coated and then proceeded to take it through about 100 car washes and it never had a swirl or a scratch on it. It is very very resilient. We used ceramic pro at the time.

this picture will not do it justice but this car is fully coated and looks stunning. I drive it and get it dirty regularly and it goes back to looking like this very easily. My newly acquired Fcar goes for a full correction and coat next week!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

GatorFL, Husker and SVCalifornia like this.
  10. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Love that car!

jimshadow likes this.
  11. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    sounds like we need a coating to protect the coating.

12. jimshadow

jimshadow F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 19, 2006
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    JIM
    #12 jimshadow, Sep 17, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2020

Attached Files:

13. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    I believe XPEL is PPF...Paint Protection Film or clear bra. That is likely what protected your car from the stones.
    It is common to apply a ceramic coating over the PPF which would explain the ease of cleaning.
    Sounds like you the best of noth worlds.
    Sent from my Galaxy

020147 likes this.