Ceramic Pro coating | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ceramic Pro coating

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Renman57, May 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin

Thank you gents! I'll try to get some photos of our white Jag XJL wearing Ceramic Pro as well.

2. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    Let's see the XJL pics Dustin!

3. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I have three coats of Ceramic Pro on my daily driver. I have to say that I think it's awesome stuff but I don't understand what my detailer strongly advises me to not go through an automatic car wash when their adversing shows a person striking a panel with a lighter repeadly without damage.

4. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin

Here's some quick pics from inside the garage. These don't really show it off very well at all, I need to get it outside and snap some pics. Keep in mind this one (like my Camaro) is just coated with Ceramic Pro Sport which is their basic offering.

This car was used as a daily driver the first 40k miles and seen A LOT of automatic wash bays. We have since retired it to weekend use.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    Unfortunately there are some companies that have exaggerated claims. The thing to remember is that no ceramic coating is bullet proof. You have to maintain correctly and regularly. When getting a coating applied be sure that the claims aren't out of this world and it is understood that proper maintenance is needed. People get roped into these from detailers just making outlandish claims and it sucks for the owner when they realize its not legit. We sell a certain coating but make sure to inform the client that it has its limits unlike other coating companies that make it sound like you NEVER have to wax your car again or that you can just clean it with running water over the surface. I always suggest people do their research and if it sounds too good to be true, well...it is. Not knocking any brands and I mean no offense to anyone.

6. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    A good friend of mine just had his new black 350 GT "R" Mustang treated with 7 coats of Ceramic Pro (it looked amazing) two weeks ago and already has two small chips in the paint. He was very disappointed that these chips appeared after being led to believe that the nano coating worked about as well as one of the film coatings. Doesn't appear that this is the case.

7. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    ^^^He was mislead. NO ceramic coating will offer protection from chips/road rash/etc like a paint protection film will.

Sorry to hear that he was mislead...

8. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    This is what I mean. Unfortunately a lot of detailers from this particular brand are making outlandish claims. Sorry for your friend, but I would have him look into PPF for that kind of protection.

9. Renman57

Renman57 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Reynolds
    I washed my Ceramic Pro coated car today for the first time. It had a few bugs on the front bumper and a couple on the windshield in addition to light dust/road grime on the back end and rear of the car. I only used a hose w/nozzle to rinse the car and I must say that all the bugs and the dirt fell off with no rubbing or soap. I then used a leaf blower to dry the car and it was completely dry in less than 5 minutes. It would have taken more effort for sure prior to the CP coating. I was very pleased with the result!

10. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin

Same experience I'm having. I had my wheels done as well and it makes cleaning the brake dust off so much easier. I have noticed however that it doesn't last as long on glass as I imagined it would. But overall I am very pleased.

11. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    ppf for impact protection
    coating like modesta for environmental protection
    both for max protection

we do a lot of correction, then ppf, then modesta coating applications for total car protection. suntek or xpel or the new 3m film (much better) for the front end, or full car protection from road rash, rock chips, minor door ding protection. Paint correction for the looks and gloss/clarity of the paint. Coating for the durable protection from washing induced marring, etching, waterspotting, bug etching, etc.

I have always said it, EASIER TO MAINTAIN THAN IT IS TO FIX.

Think of it this way...a car with factory original paint will look better longer, and sell for more when that time comes! not to mention, you sell a car that has a full body, or at least high impact area PPF protection, with a coating on it, it will look better and sell for more than an exact same car without...money well spent, and simplified car care the whole time you own the car

12. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Quartz (sand) and debris has a higher hardness than plastic. And, when it's flung into the paint with the force of the brush, scratch can occur.

We're talking about a coating that's only microns thick, which is thinner than your clear coat. Abrasion can remove it.

13. The Singer

The Singer Karting

Feb 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    What price range are we looking at for an application? Thxs.

14. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Are any of you guys applying it yourselves or is that strictly forbidden?

15. SizzleChest

SizzleChest Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2014
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The Singer: usually $1K on up

Eric C: No, you need to be a certified installer in order to purchase or install it.

Regards,
    Sizzle

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Not really possible. Not only is it pretty complicated to install properly without making your paint worse but it needs special equipment (UV lights and such) to cure. I don't know why anyone would want to do it themselves - it's a professional level product and needs a professional to install it if you want it to be right.

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I priced it out for wifes new car, black rs camaro. Numbers did not jive
    Between check up maintenance touch ups there was no gains

Maybe for a person thats anal about the car but not for a DD

Rather spend the money detailing it before I sell it

Disclosure:
    I was a paint professional and had my own dealership for 20 years.
    Sikkens, Glasurit, Spies Heckler, Dupont, Suntron I did r&d with

18. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    So, it's not a wax on - wax off product? :)

19. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    There are consumer grade coatings from many makes that you can apply yourself. And the claim that you NEED a UV light for curing is ridiculous. Does it quicken the curing process? Yes. However I have applied pretty much every coating there is, except those where you need to be licensed, and most cure overnight to 12 hours.

20. Polished Detail

Jun 27, 2015
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nic Shangle
    I can answer some of your questions about the Ceramic pro coatings everyone. We are the Los Angeles/Long Beach Ceramic Pro installer.

As far as paint chips go... I would never mislead a client into thinking that Ceramic Pro or any Ceramic Coating for that matter is capable of repelling a rock being hurled at the vehicle. So, if an installer sold you a coating on that promise I would absolutely question their ethics. Now with that being said, I personally have noticed that the slickness of a coated vehicle may deflect some of the lighter debris that damages bumpers. My personal prius has seen some serious road trips and has very few tiny chips. It does have around 6-7 good ones all the way to the bumper plastic though haha. This is why we recommend installing Suntek PPF before applying Ceramic Pro. Everyone will have their own personal preference in PPF film as well as coatings depending on the results they are looking to achieve and what qualities or benefits are most important to them.

Ceramic Coatings are not the lowest priced option on the market these days to protect your vehicle. I believe we can all agree on that lol. Some brands of ceramic coating offer different benefits, warranties, different characteristics and thickness (layerability). These characteristics or benefits will greatly affect the longevity and in turn pricing. But, no matter which ceramic coating you choose, I believe we can all agree (or most of us) that it is the highest level of paint protection available for your vehicle at this time (outside of full PPF wrap).

You will see countless arguments in forums about which coating "provides the most gloss". This is pretty funny to me because most of the gloss you're seeing or not seeing is usually a direct result of the level and quality of the paint correction performed prior to coating installation. Many many things effect gloss and reflection on a vehicles painted panels. For someone to say a coating is going to perform miracles is an absolute lie. The coating combined with a great paint correction and proper install can blow your mind. Most of the top coatings are so similar in gloss, it usually cannot be diagnosed with a human eye. because again, gloss is a direct result of the paint finish being coated.

There are many people that do not approve of the Ceramic Pro "lighter test" (mostly detailers installing other coatings). I personally do not use this as a reason to install Ceramic Pro. I don't think it creates realistic expectations for a client with out proper introduction to the test and disclaimer that this is only for show. It is a plastic lighter. It is not the metal side of the lighter. The result of the coated side wiping off the plastic residue and incurring less scratches has a bit to do with coating hardness/thickness (this is a layered product) but also a highly slick surface that is creating less resistance for the plastic to anchor to. It's not really that crazy when you look at the reasons for this tests result.

My number one selling tool to my clients is proper education and proper expectations. I am very careful to teach them equally about the benefits of the coating and also the problems that may arise without proper maintenance. As most products in the world are only as good as the the maintenance and care they receive. Your Ferrari is an amazing vehicle that comes roaring out of the dealer like a beast. But, if you drove the hell out of it and never did any inspections or maintenance it surely would not perform to your original expectation. This is the reason for us requesting an annual inspection. We would like to catch improper maintenance issues before the client thinks the coating was the issue.

As far as being able to install as a consumer... Let me say that it would be the most stressful day of your vehicle ownership lol. This is not a coating for the inexperienced or person looking to make a "quick buck". Many detailers have attempted to install this coating, failed and ran to the competitor. They also try their best to steer people from something they physically cannot provide as a professional.I see alot of detailers that choose not to install Ceramic Pro talking the most about it in forums or trying to plug their choice brand as being "better". I say this... I have nothing bad to say about any of Ceramic Pros competitors brands. I personally like many of them and know many of the reps or owners of the companies. I think ceramic coatings are the best thing to happen to the detailing industry since the Dual Action polisher. The results we are able to achieve and preserve with the coatings is absolutely astonishing. I literally say "wow!" multiple times a week in my shop at results, and I have owned a detail business for 17 years lol.

I will leave everyone with this advice for choosing the coating for your vehicle. Do your research online of course. Take everyones opinions as just opinions and not fact. Do not let someone sell you on a product just because that is what they install in their shop that week. After your online research, pick a few shops in your area based on their local reviews. Setup an appointment to DISCUSS what they can provide and learn about their coating they recommend and why. Ask to see some before and after examples and test panels. Any legit installer should have product and examples of their work readily available. Don't pull the trigger unless you are 100% comfortable and satisfied with all your questions and concerns being addressed properly.

I hope this helps!

geochin likes this.
  21. Polished Detail

Jun 27, 2015
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nic Shangle
    Joe is absolutely right. You do not NEED a Infra Red light to cure a coating. The light only assists in speeding up the drying process. Curing cannot be sped up in a coating at all. It is a chemical process and heat and lighting do not make it faster.

22. DeuceRooster

DeuceRooster Karting

Jun 11, 2005
    Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    My old Camaro has been wearing it's Ceramic Pro for a few months now and it's holding up very well. What amazes me about this particular one of mine is that it received only the "sport" coating which is really more of a maintenance coating from my understanding. Nothing like the 9H or higher end options. This is the cheapest coating my dealer offers and it it tremendously cheaper than many people are aware of.

I have performed ZERO maintnance on this other than wiping it off once a week with some Adam's quick detail spray and waterless wash. I took this over the weekend and I am still impressed with the shine this is original 16 year old GM paint, no repaints. It is very hard paint along with think clearcoat which according to my detailer isn't easy to work with.

Next year I plan to have this one treated with 9H which is supposed to be superior to the "sport" by a long shot. Time will tell but so far I am very satisfied with just the basic offering.

[​IMG]

23. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Huh, I wasn't aware of that with regards to the UV and the duration of curing. Appreciate it and your inputs!

24. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    Has anybody answered the question of what the price ranges are for the ceramic pro - just ranges

25. Polished Detail

Jun 27, 2015
    Signal Hill, Ca
    Full Name:
    Nic Shangle

The pricing for CP coatings is going to depend heavily on the size of the vehicle and condition of the paint. We always want to correct any correctable imperfections in paint work before coating. There are a few different packages, different amounts of product applied and options that can be added. I really dislike giving ballpark quotes to people without seeing a vehicle. If I under price it they may believe I baited them to my shop with a lower and untrue price. If I over shoot the price they may think I'm attempting to take advantage of them. It's always best to meet an installer in person and get a written quote for your exact vehicle so there is no confusion or let downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk