CeramicPro Treatment for new FF | FerrariChat

CeramicPro Treatment for new FF

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by jolieinc, Aug 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Saw many threads on this subject but looking to get a ceramic treatment for the paint. Car is Rosso Corsa and I really want a mirror finish and low maintenance. The dealer does CeramicPro and the pricing is $2500 or less depending on the warranty term. Its high but not as high as a local company charges around here.

Found many pros and cons about it online but anyone with real experience with it?

Maintenance on the product and costs?

Warranty situations - how they are handled?

Wondering if doing a 5 year vs the lifetime warranty will make a difference for us as I am sure its just more coats of the product and the car is brand new so they should not have to do any paint corrections.

Also the car is getting a full front clear bra which was applied yesterday.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Allen... I'd PM Mario (user MDEL) as he has had something similar done to his Cali (and it's Nero) IIRC. For what it's worth, my Porsche is Guards Red and it hides minor dirt and dust quite well. Leaves more time fit driving than cleaning. 😀
    T

3. CETH

CETH Karting

Nov 3, 2015
    Poland/France
    Got Ceramic Pro treatment on my new F12 earlier this year. So far, very good - looks gorgeous and makes washing it very easy. although not able to give you any useful info on claims etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I got modesta on my FF about a year ago - no noticeable difference than before - not worth the money in my opinion and also not worth the unanticipated consequences of impact on paint 10, 20 yrs out. Product matters very little and the person applying is very important.

especially on garage queens, I don't see the point of the ceramic. To me its a great way to get people to overpay for something that isn't real.

5. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen

Just had a very long talk with the detailer at Ferrari. I am starting to think that the paint and clear coat that Ferrari uses is already on top par and should hold up well with a really high quality wax and regular up keep. Although he was very convincing that this product really works compared to wax. He said was is oily feeling and attracts dust and dirt and that this product will not. In theory it cannot hurt but $2k - 2.5k for a coating sounds bizarre to me.

I really want a glass/mirror finish. That is my goal here. I don't think I am going to get that with this ceramic 9h thing as much as I would with a high end wax.

6. pcar112

pcar112 Rookie

Jun 16, 2014
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I just had cquartz and paint correction done. It definitely made a big difference. It corrected all the swirls from the factory. Paint quality from the factory is known to be poor. You can search this forum regarding this issue. It's not cheap but definitely worth it to me.

7. f12tm

f12tm Karting

Nov 26, 2014
    North Carolina
    I've had C/P applied on 5 of my cars including a F12 and a 58 300SL Roadster....all, especially the darker colors came out looking great... I suspect the quality of the application (the fellow who does the work) counts for a lot... I've heard of up to ten applications of C/P being applied.. my fellow feels that 3 - 5 is all that's needed... I even had the wheels coated... I've been to the shop numerous times and have seen some really amazing finishes depart... other products could be just as good but I very pleased with the ceramic pro product ....

8. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    the ceramic has nothing to do with the swirls being removed - any good detailer can get swirls out with clay and a good cleaner/compound

9. hvdaytona

hvdaytona Karting

Nov 8, 2015
    I can't speak for ceramic pro, but I have used optic oat and g tech evo( first version). The stuff works better than wax and after rain the car tends to look good longer from greater than 8-10 ft away. I find I go much longer between washes. The g tech has better clarity and reflectivity than the opti. I did my gf Mercedes about 4 yrs ago and just redid it this yr. as stated the prep is the key prior to doing the product. I bought the machine/pads/polish and did my own( first try was my gf Mercedes). Very easy to do and looked great.the application of opti or g tech was very easy as well. There are plenty of videos and reviews at auto geek. It is not hard to do and you really have to work hard to screw it up especially if you use lighter polishes. I kmow these are 300+k cars and the detail is 2k but I find it relaxing washing and doing my own high end cars.

10. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    odd I did modesta on my escalade as well and I didn't see any material difference

11. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    We shall see. I bit the bullet and opted for the 5 year ceramicpro on the full car and interior.

The proof will be in the pudding.

I will update after delivery and with the daily Florida rain it will be easy to see. My current dd is black and after a rain even a freshly cleaned car looks nasty like the rain is dirty so I am hoping that this will make a difference.

12. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it makes a noticeable difference but there are qualifications.

Its not a panacea. A lot depends on how you will use the car.

If you will daily drive it, at least here in the Northeast, you can expect it to last you one winter. So its really not worth it.

If you are in a place where its more just water and road grime, like Florida, I could see it lasting maybe 18 months.

If you will use the car like many, a nice weather toy, then you will have something that will make the color pop and make it much easier to wash and keep clean. Just be sure to use the proper speed shine/ or whatever they give you to maintain it.

This is based on Modesta on several cars. Was so impressed I tried it on my wife's daily- Range Rover. It just can't hold up well to the salt, winter grime and then car washes. But on my other fun cars, its been on for years with no ill affects. And anyone who sees the cars can't help but to comment about the pop of the color.

Where it really helps is water and lighter dirt won't stick to the finish nearly as easily and that makes washing them off easier. Also it means if you use an automotive air blower to dry off the car (I would recommend this) then the water flows off the car so much more easily.

As to the look, as with all things, this is personal preference. This all comes down to how these products transmit light. These are like the opposite of Carnauba wax which gives most paint finishes a slightly warmer look. These ceramic coatings, at least the ones I've seen so far, give the color more pop. I prefer more pop. I like polarized sunglasses and I often like using a polarizer on my camera. Some might prefer a warmer look. So thats something to keep in mind.

I have to say I don't put much stock in the argument about how something might affect paint 10-20 years out. The truth is, no one really knows for sure with any product. What if you wrap a car and leave it for 10+ years. Does anyone know what that will do? What about other products? They might have been around for a long time, but what if you let it sit for 10+ years. I think there can be risk in anything so the best thing is to keep your wits about you and keep observing things.

13. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen

Thank you for all the details!

We opted for the single layer of 9H and a later of light. I am wondering if I should have paid $500 more to have 3 layers of 9H and if there will be any noticeable difference in the pop / shine. I still have a short moment to decide.

14. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're welcome. I have no experience with the product you're using so I just don't know. I generally will just listen to the advice from the installer. Yes, its a chance for them to charge you more. But good detailers are like artists and they should know their patrons won't return if they feel cheated.

15. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm with you, I enjoy doing it myself. I finished mine with 22ple VX3 Signature. The product itself only took me about 30 minutes to apply to the whole car (612), but the prep work took about 12 hours over 2 days.

16. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yes I know exactly how zymol behaves and impacts paint over 20 years!

the rest of the post was sound of reason as usual

lol see u soon pal

17. AutobahnAndTrack

AutobahnAndTrack Formula Junior

Dec 31, 2014
    Frankfurt, Germany
    Full Name:
    Stefan G
    in the internet there are a lot of real tests available with the latest generation ceramic coatings like Gyeon Mohs/Prime. If prepared and applied professionally, these coatings can last for 18 month in daily drivers even when using car wash stations on a regular basis. this is really awesome.

A wax could never do that. At least after 3 times through a car wash station the wax is gone.

For a new car I think one should not spend more than 400 bucks for the material and maybe 10 hours for preparation, so around 1k.

To fully detail a used car inside and outside and apply a high end coating it usually takes 20-40h of work plus material.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    18 months sounds reasonable - 5 yrs is just ridiculous

19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Yes indeed! But, its really not the same application of Zymol from 20 years ago right? This stuff won't last that long either. So if you saw something off with your Zymol, you'd change it. Same here. That's all. I think as long as you keep your eyes on the cars you'll be fine. And if you can't keep your eyes on your cars, I will be happy to come over and look :)

20. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    ok so I'm having one of my cars half detailed with a traditional carnuba and the other half done with a ceramic. will inspect and maintain every 90 days and compare/contrast.

21. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This will be a definitive real world report- looking forward to it!

22. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Have my FF treated with a single layer of the CeramicPro over the clearbra. Did the water test and the water did not bead up and did not run off like the videos show. I have a feeling they did not do the treatment properly or at all trying to save money.

I have the car going back in and they are redoing the clearbra and the ceramicrpro treatment. Per the "Gold" which should be 4 layers of Ceramicpro. Hope they do it right this time.

My dd has a good coat of wax - not sure the brand but the water beads real nice. Only issue with the was is that it attracts everything.

I will update after I get the car back and I test it for beading. As of now, I am not real keen on this ceramic treatment.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    why wld you do the ceramic over the clear bra - the ceramic is supposed to adhere to the paint, not to the film. are you sure this is what they did and you wanted them to do? my understanding was once a car had film you just need to use a sealant on top of it, not the ceramic.

24. jolieinc

jolieinc Karting

Aug 3, 2016
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen

No expert here but that is what the detailer told me he would do. Maybe that is why the water acted the way it did as I poured the water on the hood. I have read online somewhere as well that they do the treatment on the bra too so I figured it would not hurt. Especially when you are already paying $2k for this treatment I want all of the car done anyway but not if it would look bad.

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    I don't know man I was confused as well but the more I dug the more I realized I wasn't crazy. I don't think most of the dealers and even some detailers understand what's going on. or they just aren't being honest. I started another thread asking about this. you might want to call esoteric or one of the other bigtime detailers and bounce it off of them. from my understanding the ceramics adhere to the paint. once you have a film all you need to do is apply a sealant which is different than applying a ceramic coating