"Certified" personal trainer -- scam? | FerrariChat

"Certified" personal trainer -- scam?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by GrigioGuy, Nov 17, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    For various reasons I've been checking out the various certification authorities out there for personal trainers. Primarily I was looking into them because I figured that trying to meet their standards would drive me towards a better shape.

What I'm finding is that most of them are simply online tests, passable once you pay $200-$600 for their specific study materials. Absolutely no requirements to actually be able to lift or run or .... anything.

Am I missing something? What's to stop me from starting a "National Personal Trainer Association" and issuing my own certs for $100?

2. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    There are some reputable CPT certifications. One I belong to is NSCA, but there are other good ones like ACE, for example. The best thing is to just try a few trainers and see which one you mesh with. You can always ask them any and all questions about their training and methods.

I wouldn't call CPT a scam but trainers vary widely in terms of professionalism.

3. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I agree with LetsJet.

My Health and Fitness prof in college made it very clear to not trust all personal trainers because it's possible for any joe-schmo to take the two week class and be licensed. He told us about how he saw time and time again these "personal trainers" working out and didn't know anything and were clueless about proper form. He said, and that's dangerous because they could severely injure a client by teaching them the wrong way to do things.

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Jason,

Did you mean licensed or certified? I'm not familiar with any state that has licenses. Usually the associations provide a certification upon completion of tests. The tests do vary but the top associations do their best to help train, and have / require continuing education courses.

Also Tillman, as far as just starting your own CTP cert. course and charging for it. I don't think there is anything stopping you, but you won't be listed with the top associations that are accredited. That means the trainers who are serious wont be interested in your cert....

5. GG

GG Formula 3

Feb 21, 2008
    The trainers at my gym must have got their certifications under the table, because they are hands down the worst trainers I have ever seen. Even the gym monitors at the YMCA have a better grasp of what personal training as all about. I have one trainer at my gym that's on his Blackberry while his 70 year-old client is struggling to squat just the olympic bar. It's so pathetic.

6. Fpassion

Fpassion Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2005
    I agree I would not take anyones advice if they are not living proof of what they attest to. If the personal trainer is living the lifestyle and it "shows" in the their body in totality and speech, than they may provide insight and give you a catalyst. There are enough resources now to find any information you need yourself, unless time is of the essence then hire someone.

7. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Sorry, I used the wrong verbage. I did mean certified.

8. 1_can_dream

1_can_dream F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    I have two friends that are both certified personal trainers. One just took the test to get a certification, the other has a four year degree in kinesiology and a national certification. The former doesn't have the physique that I'd look for in a personal trainer, the latter does, but it's not a requirement. If you were looking for some kind of physical fitness test that they have to pass I think you're out of luck. Perhaps you could look into some of the military physical fitness tests for something to work up to?

9. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    I am an ex. physiologist and NSCA CSCS certified. The only certs, IMO, that you should put any stock in are NSCA, ACSM, and ACE. Most, as you've found, are just what you noted and could be done w.a computer, a creative (or not so creative) name, and a credit card.

There are no physical requirements to pass any even accredited entity's certifications; not sure how or if that observation is relevant. If you're looking for physical standards (e.g. that the military or various fire depts use) that's another subject.

10. robbreid

robbreid Karting

Feb 25, 2007
    Personally, I don't think much of a GP Doctor, and anything below that doesn't rate.

I've taken two ACE courses, other than basic info, I didn't think much of it at all. I've learned far more from actively working out myself. The only 'trainers' that I would consider, are in shape trainer, highly motivated, with a fit client base, that match the current shape of the trainer.

As far as trainers go, find someone who you are not only compatible with, but someone who has maintained an overall fitness level you are seeking. Too many trainers obtained their muscle from steroids, which to me, would instantly discredit them as a professional trainer, unless you to plan to juice it.

I live in Toronto, and belong to Extreme Fitness, which is owned by a USA private investment group. My gym is on the subway line, and surrounded by condos. We have fat trainers, skinny trainers, and steroid trainers, about 50 full time trainers - and they all pretty much suck at what they do!!! But guess what, my gym (I'm only a member) takes in 500K a month!! on fitness training.

Hows that for a scam!!! It's not unusual on a weekend to sell Seventy Thousand Dollars in training. In Canada, the maximum membership you can sell, is 1 year, but you can sign people up on a contract to 18 months at 70 bucks an hour!!!!

And for certification in Canada, is a company CanFitPro - a two day course, and I've taken it as well, it is a joke.

To answer your original question, yes fitness certification in general is a scam, because many trainers are totally unqualified after completing weekend courses. And yes, you could set up your own course and sell it no problem.

And as far as 'recognized organizations', if your 'certified', most gyms (not all) will hire you on the spot regardless of your title is ACE or ACME from Bugs Bunny!!!!

11. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    You'll know a good one when you find one.

Mine is better then Yoda.

Degrees are better then certs.
    Ask for references.

12. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Why do you like these certifications? What are their requirements, in a nutshell, that give you more confidence in them?
    Thanks!

13. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    #13 ducowti, Nov 26, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
    In a nutshell these orgs have established themselves with excellent reputations and high standards for their respective certifications. NSCA and ACSM exams are not easy and are very technical; you have to know your anatomy and physiology to earn their certifications. On a hierarchy I would place them, from best/most prestigious to less, NSCA > ASCM > ACE. The NSCA CSCS certification is the only one (unless this has changed since I got my cert in 1999) that requires examinees to be college degreed to even sit for it, so you can be pretty well assured folks who've earned that cert know what they're doing. ACSM certification exams are rigorous as well. NSCA and ASCM certifications are NCCA-accredited which means they've put together certification exams that meet high level standards (NCCA is an independent accreditation agency).

Further, NSCA and ACSM publish journals comprised of peer-reviewed research studies which tells you something about the foundation of those organizations (and associated facets).

Don't know too much about ACE but they have a good reputation.

14. js430

js430 Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Jerry Kahane
    Good stuff. Many thanks. I am thinking about getting some sort of Physical Trainer certification, and this helps greatly. I am already helping several friends with weight loss and exercise programs, so it seems like a natural career fit for me, as I am tired of what I have been doing so far (investigating accidents, expert testimony in court, etc.).

I too was confused by all the online BS stuff out there. Appreciate the pointers.

Am also considering some sort of Pilates certification as they seem to pay really well. Any advice?

15. ducowti

ducowti Formula 3

Jan 27, 2008
    NY/SC
    Full Name:
    David
    See what ACSM offers, but if you want a dedicated Pilates cert Stott Pilates well respected, not sure what else is out there. I'm less in the trenches these days. Some of the Pilates certs are expensive ($2-5K). Good luck, it's a rewarding field.