Challenge car prices | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Challenge car prices

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by 87testa, Dec 13, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Maybe where you live :D

2. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Right, at the end of the day, it is a very efficient world market for these cars and you are never going to find a car underpriced like that no matter the exchange rate fluctuations.

3. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Last I checked, no obd1 cars meet federal requirements for emissions if they're made after 1995. I'm sure that people have on occasion skirted the rules via various avenues but if it's a post 1995 Challenge car in series configuration, the rules are pretty clear that it's a federal offense to register one in the US.

4. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    More off topic LOL

I have been tinkering with OBD emulation a couple years now, recent developments have really advanced. I see another year or 2 before we will be able to outfit anything with a functional OBD2 port.

As you stated Federal Law is it must have come that way and be a OEM certified design.

Yeah I have registered Pro Stock cars for the street.

"Everything is legal until you get caught"

:)

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    And then US officials come and crush your car, like they did to all of those Land Rovers last year.

Listen, if people want to try it, that's their business. They should just be aware of the rules and penalties if they get caught.

6. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I think you're ok if you have a post '95 converted street car with valid title and your locality doesn't do emission testing as part of the inspection or registration process - the car was originally sold with a federally compliant obd2 system, so would not fall afoul of federal laws and would (could?) have legal modifications per that locality. Certainly trickier than a '95 car and could not be legally sold in CA and other regions that do emissions testing or connect to the obd2 system as part of inspection without being retro (forward?) fitted with a 5.2 setup.

As to a factory challenge car post '95, I don't think you'd have any way of fully legally titling it in the US. You might be able to get the title in some legalities that aren't stringent, but it would be in danger of being impounded if the feds found out as the factory cars came with the (illegal for street use) obd1 setup originally. You might be able to legally title it if you converted it to the 5.2 obd2 setup before trying to get a title as it would be federally compliant at that point, but the lack of factory airbags may also cause you federal issues (illegal for cars post '95 as well). Either way, I'd be hesitant to buy a factory post '95 car with any intention of road use unless it was currently federally compliant (ie 5.2 setup currently installed or proof that it was installed when titled).

7. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Ferrari 308 Vetro F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #82 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    I only see the asking price of $189k listed, which doesn't really provide an answer to the question. You can ask whatever you want... :) Only actual sold prices help to establish true "worth"... However, since it seems you listed that car, you should be able to list the exact "worth", but at sale PENDING perhaps not just yet... ;) :) If you want to help truly answer the question, please update with actual sale price once transaction is completed :)

9. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
  10. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    I think the new owner dont think about the taxes for import a road going car into Europe, nearly impossible!

11. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Details about the car: 1995 F355 Challenge car converted to challenge spec By ferrari and returned to road legel spec for Japanese roads, with just 31k kms,last service was at 28k kms which was only 3k kms ago, Chassis # is 104196 and it was raced in the Japanese Challenge series in 1996 by driver Keghi Tanaka. Once an f355 was bought Ferrari could change the car into a challenge version for a $30,000 fee, These were the last manual challenge cars as the 360 and 430 challenge cars were both paddle shift systems which make these the most desirable challenge car among many track day enthusiasts. Upgrades which Ferrari fitted for the $30,000 included a Competition clutch Competition steering wheel Lightweight race exhaust Roll-cage Racing seat Safety harnesses Fire extinguisher Engine cutoff switch Carbon fiber rear wing Upgraded 14" Brembo brakes 18" Speedline wheels Rear brake cooling ducts Challenge black rear grille The F355 Challenge shares the same engine performance and physical dimension specifications as the original.6-speed transmission. Each F355 Challenge has an emblem on the rear that specifically denotes 'F355 Challenge'. anybody seriously interested send us a message. The car will be coming to Ireland if it's not sold before it leaves Japan. It's a rare opportunity to own a really clean F355 Challenge in Black. This car has been fitted with an aftermarket handbrake so it can be made road legal in Japan also berlinetta suspension as race suspension is too hard for road use,Message us or send us an email if you're interested.

12. Richard Tuck

Richard Tuck Karting
    BANNED

Nov 17, 2015
    Taxes included and shipping sorry should have mentioned. 10% duty 23% vat, handling and VRT. It'll be in Ireland soon

13. manxart

manxart Karting

Nov 30, 2014
    i know two cars in france that has been sold recently
    first one from 1995 street legal for 180000 ( french car from the origin )
    second one from 1996 street legal for 215000 ( italian car , then imported to france )
    i know both parts , sellers and buyers. i won ' t give the chassis numbers , but this is common price in france now
    I personally also own a 355 CH and i had an offer for 250000 ( but i'd rather keep my baby ) , people on this forum could ask SoCal 1 , he ' s a friend and he as seen picts of my car. i do guess i had this offer because my car ( 1996 ) is street legal , in concourse condition , and completely conform to the original challenge 1996 specifications ( the only thing different is just that i got 2 omp vid carbon seats ....instead of one )
    i don 't know about the market in the states , but the only thing i know is that french buyers are looking for street legal cars and they want the original specifications as well.
    so i do guess that 180000 to 250000 is a good price range for a street legal challenge

14. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

LOL I know that guy !!!!

His car is PERFECT, defiantly top notch in all details right down to the correct thread used to stick up the seats.

2 more years and that price will be much higher.

15. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    @manxart, thank you for the posting. For all others, believe it or not, but he is right, totaly!!!

16. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    #92 Ferrari 308 Vetro, Dec 25, 2015
    For me a F355 Challenge with knowen history in good condition with good paperwork and street legal is the absolut best, it is...

And These cars are rare and not longer for 60 or 80$ for sale, this Party is over.

I would say (always Condition good, Service done, Track Day ready):

- Street legal and Racing History EUR 180-220,--
    - Racing Car EUR 140-180,--
    - The rest something between

What is wrong with a Car like this ;-) ? Nothing...
    (2015 FCA Meeting Laguna Seca)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

And I honesty believe these cars are undervalued and one of the best deals right now in Ferrari Racing History.
    They are super sexy, represent a era past of driving to the track and racing then celebrating on the drive home.

This surely was an amazing time in history :)

18. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
  19. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    This is my opinion too!

The 355 CH cars were the first cars, owners drove to the track and had fun - the beginning
    Of the ferrari challenge spirit!

20. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    The 348 Challenge was. And it was the only one conceived to be raced and then used as a street car afterward. The 355 Challenges are mostly not street legal, as we have covered here.

21. Andi355

Andi355 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Sep 26, 2005
    You are right, but nobody here in Europe cares about 348 CH racing series.

Here in Europe and in the US the challenge car enthusiasm begann with the 355 cars.

In most of the game halls you can find still 355 CH game consoles, 355 CH modell cars
    are rare and costs lot of money, famous drivers compete in the 355 series...
    355 CH cars are history

22. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #98 308 GTB, Dec 25, 2015
    I don't think so.

Willow Springs 1993...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  24. Ferrari 308 Vetro

Nov 12, 2012
    Austria
    Yes we know, with the 348!
    Here we talk about prices and the market...