Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Markjayw, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    US spec had no launch control. The button does nothing. This according to a fantastic mechanic.

2. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    What am I looking for if it's reflashed? Car definitely downshifts, but I would assume a stock TCU would do that!

3. Ducati

Ducati Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yes, US Stradale's definitely have launch control. It works very well. Very fun on wet roads and is easier on the drive train. Hot tires on dry pavement feels like it is a little hard on the car. We used to do standing starts in the Formula Atlantic races. That is what it feels like. A very serious experience. Not for the faint of heart.

4. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    How do you engage Launch Control....
    or is that a euphemism for pressing the right foot to the floor ? :)

5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    This is my understanding ...

Disengage ASR

Foot on brake

First Gear

Wide open throttle

Release Brake

Open wallet to purchase new clutch

6. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    oooouch - that sounds a little brutal for use at the traffic lights.

7. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    So will the car bounce at an early rev limit? Don't want to launc the car, just want to engage launch control to see if in fact I have CS TCU

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Can't tell if it's a reflash by sight. A CS TCU will blip aggressively and mesh the clutch hard on down shifts, even more so than stock. I discovered that the tcu system gets a bit cofused on up shifts of you are still in vvt range, asr off and sport. just rev higher than 5.5k before shifting and the clutch will mesh nice and firm with out a "2 axis limit" hyperbolic curve feel. ;)

9. mkzhang

mkzhang Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Do the 360 tcu have pis adjustment parameters or is that only available with the cs tcu?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    #235 Mickster, Jan 11, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
    If your car is pre 2001 it won't allow PIS adjustment. Pre 2001 cars have a substantually higher clutch wear.
    It's actually possible to tell wether you can adjust or not: From a specific serial number and onwards Ferrari installed TCU's that allow adjustment.
    I know that Ferrari master Aldous Voice have it all typed down on his website. Just gooooogle...

11. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

its really a myth.

I've done it about 10 times on my CS. I got the reading on leonardo and it only wears off
    9.xx% for those 10 times.

so each time about less than 1%. I say its acceptable and not to worry too much.

12. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

forgot to mention that these 10 times are on one single occasion ( drag racing day, not fun, lost to most cars!! er!)

13. tim0172

tim0172 Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Eric, i have a alfa romeo 156 Gta with Selespeed gearbox. Its a 6 speed (7 with reverse) and uses the LVDT sensor for the clutch much like the 360.
    It has the CFC218f.02 ecu fitted. Do you think it is possible to use the software from 360 on this ecu/gearbox? Like on the earlier 360's the PIS cant be set manualy but only thru auto adjustment.
    Let me know what you think..

Regards,
    Tim

14. michael from MV

michael from MV Karting

Oct 6, 2007
    Marin County
    Full Name:
    Michael Vogel
    May I ask, once you put the CS TCU in a 360, how does that compare to a 430 F1? i have a 430 F1, 07 and we love it. Would it be as good as that?

thanks Michael

15. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Short answer: YES

16. Kent-Harald Johansen

Dec 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Kent Johansen
    Greatings, my first post here as I am in the process of deciding wich Ferrari will be my first, and I am reading up on all models since the millenium. Regarding 360 TCU and clutch wear, read this:
    https://aldousvoice.com/2013/01/30/ferrari-360-f1-system/
    I think Aldous' contribution to 360 and F430 knowledge is absolutely priceless.

17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    My car is back at Algar they have to fix a couple things (that I found after my shakedown runs), and they are installing the CS TCU I bought as well as having Xpel protection put on the car. I figured since after 19 years it looks like it just came off the line, I should try my best to keep it that way.

cavlino likes this.
  18. cavlino

cavlino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 6, 2002
    Ottawa, Canada
    Full Name:
    Carm Scaffidi
    Once they are done installing the CS TCU can you let us know if they had to replace anything else since your car is a 1999? Please and thank you :)

19. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    My experience with the CS TCU. At first favorable. Enjoyable with faster shifting and more aggressive rev matching on downshifting. But, for driving about town, the stock TCU is less aggressive and, IMO, more driveable. I will say, though, that others may prefer the more aggressive behavior. For up-shifts, the TCU is definitely more aggressive. In sport mode, it is quicker and it shifts faster. Again, though, IMO, not important enough for me. Over time, I tired of that aggressiveness. After a few months, I put the original TCU back in. I have a 2004 model Modena, so the TCU is the more desirable one. I have the CS TCU sitting in my storage cabinet right now. I am quite happy with the stock TCU. Maybe one of you guys might want to make me an offer for the CS TCU.

Steve

cavlino likes this.
  20. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    I can relate to this Steve.......I’d describe the CS TCU as ‘tighter’ in the way it works.

Mine replaced a MY 2000 TCU which worked perfectly with almost seamless low rev changes. The high rev changes were fast but power felt on-off.
    On the CS TCU you can feel the low rev changes (smoother than a manual though) and the high rev changes are far smoother in the way the torque is fed back in. The real improvement is the mid range 5-7k where I do most of my driving where they are super crisp.

At first I didn’t like it but now after 8k miles I prefer it.....but the difference to me is still marginal and worth the cost...not sure?

I think the MY 2003 onwards could be a good option.

21. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I have yet to pick my car up from Algar, they are waiting for the film guy to do the car. Of course the weather (and the road conditions) not exactly suited for sports cars. Since my car was a 1999 I assume it will make a big difference, and like Mike I tend to use the power band (unless the car is still warming up) and shift in higher RPM's as much as possible. I bought mine from someone on the board who also liked the stock unit better, but I think he had an 04. My first 360 was a 2000 F1 and it definitely shifted faster (it was 15 years ago but I do still remember), and smoother. I don't mind it being more aggressive in fact that is just the way I want it to be. I will certainly comment on the results, once I pick up my car (and we get out of the artic freeze).

cavlino likes this.
  22. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    To me, the CS TCU was superior in all respects to my early 02 (pre-upgrade) stock TCU. Certainly more aggressive at high revs - much more fun. But I also found it superior in traffic and for standing starts in first gear, much tighter. Maybe it's a matter of preference, and to be fair I haven't had enough time in the later stock TCU to form a clear judgment. But for me it completely transformed the car for the better.

23. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Rookie

Jul 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andre Peixe
    Hi
    I have a 2001 Modena F1.
    Having issues with my actual TCE, I saw this post and decided to buy the CS TCU.
    The Ferrari dealer didn't had any experience with this but I insisted.
    Yesterday they told me that everything was ok, but today, on the road, they told me that sometimes it falls to neutral.
    They say that they do not know how to solve this issue and since I've made this option, it's up to me to decide what to do.
    I'm really lost here.

Can you help?

Thanks very much

24. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Rookie

Jul 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Andre Peixe
    My clutch wear is at 30%... so it seems it's not a problem.

25. nchhotu

nchhotu Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2007
    Roseville, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Nick
    If you have a mid 2001 360 it should have an updated TCU that can be flashed with CS maps. Send to Eric it come back plug and play with PIS settings at 4.2. You only need to take it to dealer if you want current clutch wear reading transferred. I did mine 2years ago no issue. 2 local friends got theirs flashed also with no issues.

MarioVU1 likes this.