Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Markjayw, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Car was delivered Thursday. TCU should be here tonight. Hope the odometer can be adjusted. Also waiting for registration. Man that's a pain as my 7 days expired for the plate transfer.

2. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    PM sent.

3. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Thank you for the response Eric.

Is adjusting the PIS on compatible TCUs same as flashing to CS specs?

4. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    No, it is an independent variable and setting to tune each specific car. My car is being worked on as we speak. Keep your fingers crossed. I think they can update the mileage on the CS TCU and adjust the PIS pretty easily. The main thing for the dealer was having official parts. My TCU arrived well packed from Eric. Complete with full antistatic foil wrap. Thanks Eric! Hope the install on the wheel goes well. Shouldn't need the extra clock spring and the airbag should swap over.

5. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    So the step would be to flash the TCU to CS specs and then have an indie adjust the PIS?

What if we adjust the PIS?

6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes but who is "we?" If you have the equipment to flash including the PIS, then I suppose you could but it is probably different for different cars. You need to tune it to the state of the clutch you are running. One post gave a descent starting point above.

7. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #207 John_K_348, Jun 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Good news is they can install the CS TCU. Bad news is the shop foreman is out so they can't install and tune it until he gets back. They don't want to leave me stranded. Good news is, they can install my steering wheel, bad news is, it's faded almost charcoal gray/navy blue and the extra clock spring is broken. Airbag wires also damaged. No worries, factory wiring is fine and the extra cowl will work as well. I wonder if the eBay seller had this out in the yard for a while? That would explain the rust on the damaged airbag wires ;) I am confident I can improve the look of the leather with black shoe polish. I can re-dye it too later if needed, custom paint cowl too. Should have the car back by tomorrow. Registration should also be done but no word yet from my buddy at RMV. MA inspection too. Hope I have time to detail it before sundown tomorrow. But wait, I DO have a garage with air conditioning and lots of light. Haha! But can't wait for the CS TCU!

8. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
  9. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Car is done! I will pick it up tomorrow morning and get it home quickly. Still not registered. Install went fine as far as I know. All parameters set. I'll be working on the steering wheel finish and stereo upgrade. Pics to follow. I'm psyched! :D

10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    OMG! Took my first run in the car tonight on sport mode. Saw reg was active online so I just had to drive it. All I can say is Jesus Chr.....! Man oh man. I also have K&N filters in place and that makes the barks so much more raw. I mean seriously. I even heard an aero effect when turning. Not sure which direction, but it was like the scoop was stalling behind your head top down on blip . Wow you can hears the valves. Up shift to second is crisper and more aggressive. It times well with the higher gears as you pull through the rpms. Sounds more even. Clutch and blip are more aggressive. And yes of course, down shifts are the bomb! Holy crap. I pushed into a little understeer but backed off easily. This is way better than the 348. Power steering, better seats, seat belts, power and cinquevalvole sound. My Pioneer head units sounds better already even without new subs. I put the stock one back in when I saw my reg was active. CS TCU is a must for anyone who can find one. Huge improvement even on an 04 spider. It bangs through the gears like a race car, dare I say F1 car? ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Best is in a tunnel on a downshift to 2nd or 3rd. It's amazing how much just the software can upgrade the transmission. I'm glad your enjoying it.

12. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    It also controls the throttle and clutch action. That is amazing! Everything short of timing and fuel injection. I'm considering putting the paper filters back in for protection and silencing! :D

13. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I am loving this but last night the computer dropped the clutch on full "race mode acr" off when I mashed the throttle and it revved to 6.5 k without doing anything! I didn't press it hard. I let off, it revved down THEN dropped the clutch. MMM smelled it. Bazaar? I guess I moved the thorttle too quickly?

14. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
    Any left?
    PM me please...

15. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    eric can you send me pm on how much to flash the tcu. my car is a 2003 360 modena

16. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    PM sent.

17. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Interesting. How did you engage the Race Mode without a switch?

Eric, is there a way to enable Race Mode on a CS TCU?

18. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    This is done automatically when you install a CS TCU in a 360.
    2 modes in a 360: normal and sport
    2 modes in a CS: sport and race.
    It's just a matter of names. Selection between the 2 modes is done by the same switch and the same pin on the TCU.
    With a CS TCU in a 360, switch in Sport position selects the Race mapping of the TCU.

19. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Woah, so "normal" mode in a 360 with a CS TCU is actually "sport?" Does it effect the dampers too? I have found that keeping acr off helps with simple launch from full stop. I also had the PIS fine tuned so that helped too. I'm still finding a little but of hesitation when shifting at 4-5K rpm in all modes. The flywheel might be a little glazed but using more than 5K rpm seems to help. Is the VVT getting in the way or confusing the computer? Shifting is fine but the clutch mesh after hesitates like half-then full. I can hear the vvt whine go off above 3K. Or maybe that's the gearbox?

20. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    #220 gobuffs2002, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
    Eric, I have a TCU 196986. I usually have the Sport mode set all the time but I do not experience the "Launch" mode. Then again, I may not be "mashing" the gas hard enough? I drive like I normally would and the 360 reacts normally without a "Launch" but I do get the engine blips when downshifting.

21. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
    Just got my CS TCU from Eric installed and it's night and day. This thing bangs the gears at any throttle position, not just WOT like the normal TCU. Even decel at only 3k rpms it'll bark the downshift.
    Completely different experience, I was disappointed with the 360 at first... to the point of wanting to sell - not now.

22. The Nutsack

The Nutsack Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2014
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    +1

Cannot emphasize this strongly enough. Night and Day, when properly installed and set up.

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    +1! Bang vroom bang vroom bang vroom! Shift over 4K when you can.

24. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    Bumping this.

Purchased my car with this already installed. Is there any way to confirm, outside of driving a stock car versus mine side by side?

Curious, what's the going price of a flash?

25. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Pull the access panel behind passenger seat and look at TCU.

I can also confirm that my clutch lag from 1st to 2nd to 3rd were rpm based. Shift over 5K to 5.5k rpm and it's golden. Bangs the shift, nearly drops the clutch. A good effective mesh.

I confirmed this last week before the snow :)

Downshift coming to a stop breaking hard. If it's a CS TCU it will blip like a pro. Wicked fun.