Challenge track car vs Cup track car | FerrariChat

Challenge track car vs Cup track car

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by m3995, Oct 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. m3995

m3995 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    All, I am going to step up from street/track cars and purchase a dedicated track car. I am looking at F430 challenge vs 997 or 991 Cup cars. Has anyone owned both? I am experienced in tracking; 12+ years in multiple street cars with race seats harnesses and other track options.

What do you think would work best as strictly a track toy, not wheel to wheel? Thanks for the input.

2. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    Mike, just to throw another option in there, have you considered the GT4 clubsports? much longer rebuilds, much lower running costs too than Cups.

If you go cup, the 991.2 have double the rebuild interval than the .1s do, and there should be some great cars coming over from Europe in another year or so.

3. m3995

m3995 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Thanks, had not thought about the GT4's. The info on the Cup cars is very helpful!

4. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    GT4 is all aluminum body, one (minor) hit and they need to be re-tubbed...I saw one financially totaled with less than 2 hours on it due to a relatively minor hit.

5. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    same with new 991 cups, but they aren't quite as fragile as you're making them out to be. It depends on the hit.

6. m3995

m3995 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Any feel for maintenance and reliability issues between challenge and cup cars? I am concerned that not having a race team behind me will result in lost track time. I have no problem with the expense just the worry of it breaking at the track

7. nmcclure

nmcclure Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2014
    TX
    $$$$$$$ vs $$$$$$$$$$ , haha.

As a safer "gentleman's" race car, I think there are some other options I'd look too at if you want lower running costs. The older 997/987 platforms make great donors. The old GTB1/3 cars are great, and I think you could build one sans radio for ~115-130. Cheaper parts, cheaper consumables. If you're not trying to running at the pointy end of a competitive field, you could stretch the rebuild intervals out significantly.

Cup needs new tires constantly, plus nut/bolt service etc. I dont have FC experience, but I think supporting a cup yourself, would be tough unless you had plenty of time. Lots on rennlist about this. Plus you wont have much to run with at DEs since you'll be quicker than most everyone else, or you should be.