Changing Coolant In A Testarossa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Changing Coolant In A Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Mar 21, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Your posts are internet gold. I love this. Thanks for giving this forum life.

Shamile likes this.
  2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Shamile, what are your thoughts on running the heater to flush out that coolant? Run the car with water in it, drain then fill with coolant.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you pull both radiator and both block drains most of the water in the heater is coming out any way. I dont think there is any need to go further.

No matter what system you drain, motor oil, gear oil, brake fluid or coolant there will be some small amount left behind (especially motor oil). It is a matter of massive dilution and if done at the correct intervals it works fine.

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  4. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Who am I to disagree with Rifledriver. His answer says it best.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Thanks for the kind words!

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

6. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Makes sense. I was thinking that valves for the heater core would be closed. But they probably made it so it would drain. I was thinking of switching to a waterless coolant at my next engine out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The valve is closed but it is only on one side. The TR holds a lot of coolant, draining as designed will get out a huge percentage of it, far more than many cars. Draining a 599 really requires you turn the car upside down. Ferrari sadly is no longer designing cars that can be maintained as though we intend to keep them a long time.

turbo-joe likes this.
  8. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    That's so true! They're so electronically laden and with interdependent systems now. It just makes the car one big continuous headache as all the electronics age...say past 10 years.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, when the key is "off" the (electrical) TR heater hot water valve is open so that's the best condition for it to drain.

Shamile likes this.
  10. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Ok - time for controversy.

I don’t pull the drain plugs on the heads. If they have become corroded, they won’t seal properly on the install. They are a large diameter thread that I would not want to repair.

Ever pull a plug or bolt along with a handful of threads?

Change the fluids WELL within the the coolant’s lifespan and leaving a bit in the heads is irrelevant.

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Maybe something to address the next time you have the powerplant removed so have better access to repair with a helicoil/timesert if necessary?

turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  12. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Honestly, I've never had an issue. I change the coolant once a year and put copper anti seize on the threads.
    If there's a concern, it's going to get done on the major service anyways. When you do the coolant yourself in a year or two, put the anti seize on it then.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

turbo-joe likes this.
  13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Steve,

Does that mean when the car is off the valve is "open" to heat and when started, it shuts?
    So for the ac to work, the valve would have to shut everytime?

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

14. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, even more often. The hot water valve is actively "held closed" by the electrical system when the key is turned "on" and the AC "off" button is depressed. When you press a different AC button (with the key "on"), a relay removes the constant ground signal from one side of the coil inside the hot water valve and puts that terminal under control by the AC ECU (i.e., the AC ECU supplies a ground signal if it doesn't want to add heat, or conversely, removes the ground signal if it wants to add heat).

15. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I didn't know this. Ever since I got my car back from the major service, I have no heat in the car. Ac works fine and if I turn the knob to heat, the ac shuts off and I can feel outside air temp....but no heat.

I thought the valve had frozen "shut" ( key off valve closed) and this is why I wasn't getting any heat. I had the car off line for 6 1/2 years so just thought it was one of those things to get to.
    But, since the ac is cold....the valve works. Any suggestions where to look to get the heat working?

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have never had a problem with the heater air locking. The valve is quite accessible under the right side of the dash. Pull the plug and see it is is getting power to open and feel the hoses in and out. I have heard of the valves going bad but never experienced it.

17. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #42 Steve Magnusson, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    1st diagnostic step for your symptom would be to remove the 2-pin connector from the top of the hot water valve (it just pulls off upward and has no polarity IIRC) and measure the DC voltage between the two terminals in the harness connector:

1. Key "on", AC "off" button depressed = should be 12V (valve closed)

2. Key "on", any other AC button depressed, temp knob set to maximum temp = should be 0V (valve open)

If you pass those tests, but no heat = either a stuck-closed/broken valve or maybe one of the heater lines kinked or blocked.

If you fail test #2 = could be a stuck (oddball) relay d (Fig. 9), bad AC ECU, or bad sensor. First thing to do here would be to perform the five resistance checks at the unplugged AC ECU connector described on pages H29 and H30 of the TR WSM.

Good Hunting!