Changing tach color? | FerrariChat

Changing tach color?

Discussion in '612/599' started by wkumari, Mar 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    Hi all,

I did search around, but found nothing useful.

I have a 599GTB with a red tachometer - I'd like to replace the tach with a yellow one.

Does anyone know if the 599 has the same size and cutout as another car? There are many please with replacement tach faces for F430s and 360s and such, but I haven't been able to find one for a 599.

So far all I've found is that the instrument cluster is sealed (which I'm willing to deal with) and sold as a single unit. If some other vehicle has a similar size I'm willing to risk it...

2. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Great questions. I've wondered this before too!

3. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
    I've seen that whole instrument clusters for sale with Yellow Tach for the 612 regularly.

Perhaps you can contact on of those sellers and see if they can point you in the right direction for a 599 version.

4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Warren- 3300 pounds from Maranello Concessionaires in the UK. Part number 223154. Call FAI and see if they can convert yours. They are the experts on digital instrument panels and can get parts for them. Do not know if they can get the overlay, though.

Franchorchamps of America, Inc.
    935 Sunset Dr Suite A
    Costa Mesa, CA 92627
    (949) 631-6373

Rod Drew
    [email protected]

Will White
    Home

Skidkid likes this.
  5. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    Or perhaps find someone who has the reverse intention? My car, for example, has the yellow tach and I would actually prefer a red one :D. But, of course, it would need to be Euro specs.

Is it perhaps possible to simply swap the whole instrument clusters? I fear that there is some kind of internal coding, which matches it to the car. This would then make it necessary to involve Ferrari proprietary software equipment?

6. Roupin

Roupin Formula 3

Oct 7, 2013
    Encino
    Full Name:
    Roupin
    Red tach makes it hard to see the RPM needle.

7. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    The LEDs in the steering wheel compensate for that anyway, I believe? ;).

P.S.: I personally do not like "screaming" colors, neither exterior nor interior. I just hesitated to remove the shields from my nero car for obvious reasons :D.

8. southnc

southnc Formula 3

Dec 25, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Adam
  9. MASR04

MASR04 Formula 3

Feb 20, 2013
    Eastern NC
    Full Name:
    Sean
    ^If you do that - we are no longer friends!

10. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
  11. BJJ

BJJ Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2014
    If at all, of course, in a sophisticated manner and without making any other changes. With quick fasteners allowing instant reverse exchange in case that someone like you starts throwing microwave chocolate cakes at me, which have the consistance of ice hockey pucks :D.

12. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren

Yeah, unfortunately the instrument cluster appears to be coded to the car (something silly about it involving the odometer :)), otherwise that would be a great option. Also, if I had a Euro sped speedo I could drive at an indicated speed of 100 and not get tickets... :)

13. SierraBravo

SierraBravo Karting

Jul 13, 2014
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Steve
    FWIW, just about everything I've ever bought had something about it I didn't like and wanted to change. After a few months, suddenly it wasn't such a big deal. In some cases I was very glad I didn't make the change. Personally, I think a yellow tach in an Fcar looks great. But then, so does red.....

14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    FAI can change the odometer reading on the earlier digital dashes (360, 575, F430) so may be able to change it on the 599/612, too. Ferrari sells the parts so someone has to be able to match them to a car with a duff cluster. FAI changed the mileage on my Superamerica instrument cluster (in my 575M) to match the original cluster mileage.

15. migg48

migg48 Karting

Jul 7, 2006
    TRUE!

16. *599GTB*

*599GTB* Karting

Mar 15, 2016
    North West UK
    Full Name:
    SEG
  17. deportm

deportm Karting

Jul 17, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Anthony Figueroa
    Just changed Tach on my 2002 360 from Black to yellow . Now the needle sticks...any ideas why?

18. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    This is the 599 section. There is a long thread in the 360/430 section on changing the tach face and your issue is discussed.

deportm likes this.
  19. diplo526

diplo526 Karting

Jun 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sundip Kumar
    Were you able to get this done? I'm looking to the do the same....

20. Jason B

Jason B Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2006
    Hbg, PA
    Interesting question. I don't think I've seen someone change the color, other than what their car came with,.

21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Lockwood seem to the only people selling a replacement cluster insert for colour changing. I’d quite like a yellow gauge cluster too, but the photos on their website aren’t great, and I just cant tell what the quality will be like.

Anyone used them?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app