Changing the battery on the 458 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Changing the battery on the 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by on1wheel, Sep 19, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The only codes you will get are if you try to operate the car with almost dead battery. So ... replace a.s.a.p. Yourself.

2. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    Left my key in on accessories, and guess what dead battery. Was that way for two days.

Hooked up the battery tender supplied by Ferrari, and 12 hours later enough power to start vehicle, and thankfully No Codes!

Tender still showing middle red light so will keep plugged in.

I did have to reset the clock.

2010 458, new battery 02/19.

3. Sacedog

Sacedog Rookie

Sep 4, 2016
    Folsom, CA
    I just got my last free annual maintenance done on my 2014 458 spider at the dealership, along with the passenger air bag replacement. They indicated my battery needed replacing, and wanted $1,100 for the parts and labor! I ended up purchasing the batter myself, and followed 338Lapua's step-by-step instructions, and they were spot on. It was probably the most difficult battery I have ever replaced, but well worth the $800+ savings.

On a side-note, they also wanted $1,800 to replace all 4 TPMS sensors as one of them had a dead battery. For the same cost, I had the TPMS sensors replaced by the local shop that specializes in Italian exotics. However, for that same price, I also got a new set of Michelin PS4S tires! :D

4. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    I'm getting error messages. I replaced the battery on my 458 with the recommended Interstate PREMIUM MTX-48/H6.

The error messages are:
    Manettino failure, AVH system failure, and ESC system failure.

Anyone know how to fix this?

5. Eds458

Eds458 Karting

Jan 24, 2020
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Edward Lagunte
    How long ago did you replace the battery? Did the failure messages come up right away after battery replacement or did it take some time? Have you been keeping it on a tender? Did you perform the ecu reset after install?

Had the same issue on mine. After install no error messages.

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Thanks for the reply Ed. I replaced the battery last night. I did the normal ECU-reset which follows a power disconnection. No issues - everything seemed fine until my wife began driving the car today. I'll try the ECU reset again in the off-chance I didn't do it right.

Eds458 likes this.
  7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Have you had the new battery on a charger prior to installing it? Sounds like low voltage issues.

Let the car sit on the charger over night, then disconnect the battery for 10 minutes. Then reconnect and do the reset proceedure.

If you have a more powerful CTek or the like, disconnect the battery and use that to charge the battery over night. The OE is a maintainer and not always capable of giving a full charge.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. SoFLFerrari

SoFLFerrari Karting

Apr 23, 2015
    South FL
    Recall the adage measure three times, cut once? Well in this case I should have read the instructions 3x before attempting the swap out. Turns out I blew a few fuses in the process because I forced off the positive clip. My local Ferrari shop owner took pity and replaced the fuses for nothing. Live and learn.