Chaparral Gallery Open OH MY WHAT A PLACE | FerrariChat

Chaparral Gallery Open OH MY WHAT A PLACE

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by writerguy, Apr 19, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Ok
    for the last 4 days i was in Midland Texas at the Jim Hall Chaparral Gallery opening.
    For those of you who don't know he was a Texas Based operator who raced Grand Prix, CAN AM, LeMans Daytona, Formula 5000 and owned the Hall Racing team that won Indy 500 TWICE.

All his cars are on display from the 2 To the SUCKER car to the Johnny Rutherford "Yellow Submarine" (will post pix soon)

The event (opening) was so far beyond great.

Phil Hill, Dan Gurney, Vic Elford, Brian Redman, Gil deFerran, all former drivers were there. The VP of design was there too and many other people.

Jonathan Peck from Lamborghini Dallas and i just sat in the corner of the Boardroom with these guys as we were having lunch away from the public. Just sitting there listening to these racing legends shoot the poop and swap stories. IT WAS AMAZING.

I will post up some pix in a little while but IF you call yourself a Car Guy, YOU MUST make a stop over in Midland to see this place.

2. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jim,

I am envious. I told you Jim Hall is a really good guy. I know you enjoyed yourself. Was Carty in Midland?????

3. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Kind of a side note... I really like the Gallardo - and unfortunately that light silver just doesn't click on it like the orange or yellow pearls do. It's just too close to the Toyota Celica silver and doesn't bring out the bodywork like the other colors. my $0.00002.

4. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Jim,

I lost track somewhere along the line. Do you know what happened to Hap Sharp who drove the vacuum cleaner car? I remember that he and Jim split the driving a lot and Hap was a colorful person. Is he still living???? I guess I could do a google search but I don't have time to do it today............

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Hap died a few years ago...

The event was first class and Carty showed with his red car....

6. AnotherDunneDeal

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    The Enzo or the Diablo???? Did he mention whether he had gotten his gearbox for the McLaren back from England yet???? I need to take a trip out there to Big Spring to visit my mom and drive on over to Midland and see him. He is such a cool guy who always laughs, or should I say giggles.

If you see him again before I do, give him my best wishes.............