Charging my cars battery without a wall outlet | FerrariChat

Charging my cars battery without a wall outlet

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Elsi, Feb 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #1 Elsi, Feb 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We have 6 cars but only 3 parking spots in the garage of our house. So I rented one parking spot very close to our house and another two (for my 512TR and 575M) in a large garage with about 50 other cars in 5 minutes walking distance.

So far so good. I drive my cars quite often so that I don’t need a trickle charger for any of the cars. During winter I don’t drive the 512TR because of the salt, so this car needs some charging of the battery. Since the next power outlet is quite far away from my parking spot I placed a long cable very nicely through the garage. You can hardly see it.

Now it comes: Somebody complained about my cable. I don’t know if they fear they have to pay for the power I use or whatever. So the company that rents the parking spots to me requested me to remove my cable.

Here is how I hope to solve that problem: I bought a separate battery and an inverter which converts the 12 Volts of the separate battery to 230 Volts (that’s what we have here in EU) to power my trickle charger. Well, that sounds a bit complicated to transfer 12 Volts to 230 Volts just to feed my trickle charger which transfers the voltage back again to 12 Volts. I did not found a better solution.

When I connected the inverter I found out that it draws 150 mA in standby (without feeding my trickle charger or any other device). So it would drain my 72 Ah battery in just 480 hours = 20 days. In practice this will be even less because I don’t assume to have the full 72Ah at 12 Volts over the whole time. So this may be 10 days or even less.

The solution to this problem is a clock timer. The clock timer only uses 2.2 mA which my battery should be able to feed for over 1000 days. So I plan to switch on my trickle charger once per day for 30 or 60 minutes to charge the battery of my car. Thus the battery should be able to feed the inverter for more than 2-3 months before I have to recharge it.

I just put it all together and put it into a box. I will try if it works during the next days.
    Hope this help other people with a similar problem.
    Any feedback is welcome.

Here some pics

Markus
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. scowman

scowman Formula 3

Mar 25, 2014
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Stu Boogie
    Interesting. Thing I do is use a small solar panel and inverter.

3. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Markus, that's quite an elaborate solution. Not sure it would work, I believe I read somewhere a trickle charger is normally designed to be connected all the time to the mains so it can go through a cycle. But I am not very deep into trickle charger theory... ;-)
    Is the battery you bought a deep cycle battery? If not it will fail if used under 80% charge for prolonged periods of time.

I see two other possibilities - but both involve disconnecting the battery during storage. This is not a problem for a TR since they all use older Motronics, my 456 has the 2.7 Motronic and I believe the 512TR uses the same. Leaving it disconnected is no problem whatsoever on these. Startup is exactly identical, and no need to go through a startup cycle, I don't feel there is any difference between leaving it connected or disconnected. The only nuisance is that the radio loses its settings after some time, and if you have an alarm you won't be able to use it (and will need to disarm the siren if that has its own battery, but my 456 doesn't have an alarm).

If disconnecting the battery kill switch during storage is an option for you then a possibility is to install a gel battery in your TR, these have sufficiently low self-discharge that they will survive a winter period of storage without any charging.
    Another is to remove the battery during storage and store it at your house with the trickle charger attached - but you probably dismissed this option otherwise you wouldn't have gone this route.

4. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    Interesting... I admire your creativity.

But, I think I would have just put 2 or 3 of those 72 A-hr batteries in the bucket and hooked them all up (in parallel, of course) with the car's battery and forgone the trickle charger all together.

Cheaper than the cost of the one battery + inverter + trickle charger + timer (unless you already had all those laying around).

Simple and should provide enough capacity to supply the car's parasitic drains for a couple of months. You could even alternate pulling one of the batteries out of the bucket every now and then and charging it up inside the house then putting it back --- if you schedule the rotation right, you should always have plenty of reserve juice available from the multi-battery system.

5. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    I was thinking the exact same thing but personally, I would just remove the battery and bring it home. That seems like less hassle. Is that out of the question?

6. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Yepp, that is what I would like to do as well. Unfortunately I don’t have any outdoor access from my parking space (it’s a large garage with more than 50 cars in it), so no sun somewhere near.

Markus

7. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks for your very good input!

I am not a trickle charger expert either but as far as I understand this should be OK. Of course the aim of the charger is to be connected over the whole time but when the battery is fully charged the trickle charger just monitors the voltage and if it is too low, the charging process starts again.

The inverter watches the input voltage and will discontinue to work if the voltage is too low. So this prevents the battery from a deep cycle. I guess I should be on the safe side here. And if not, I just buy another battery.

Yes, my 512 TR has a Motronic 2.7 as well which is much better than the 5.2 (or 7.2?) in my 575M for switching the power of and on again. You are absolutely right, I could just switch off the power (and maybe take the battery to my home). Last year I had my car on the charger for the whole time and felt very comfortable. So this is why I wanted to do it the same way.

Thanks

Markus

8. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    David

Thanks for the input!!

I am not sure if it is a good idea to hook up 2 or 3 batteries in parallel. If one of the battery fails I am not sure what happens to the others and if this could end in a dangerous situation. But I am no battery expert.

The inverter and the timer together were less than the battery. So that was not a big issue.

Plus I graduated as an electrical engineer (more than 25 years back) and I thought I had to do a little project again :)

Markus

9. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    This would be a too simple solution :D:D:D

And I already started my project, so I don’t want to go back… :)

Plus it is nice to be able to charge the 575M as well. And there it is no fun to remove the battery and to re-learn the Motronic after leaving the car without power.

Markus

10. mfennell70

mfennell70 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Middletown, NJ
    Hah. I've been there too. Have fun with it!

11. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    Me's thinking if he can afford the cars, he can 'probably' afford the battery system he devised...

12. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    :) For the money the components costs me I can fill up gas for 1-2 times. :)

13. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    The cars are investments, the equipment is an expensed loss.

Plus, he's Swiss...... so, I naturally assumed, Markus is frugal :):)

14. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus

:) Regarding clothes but nor cars. My neighbor once said to me: “I see, you don’t mind your old jeans as long as you can drive your Maserati and Ferrari”. And she was completely right. :)

Markus

15. Finitele

Finitele Formula 3

Sep 26, 2007
    DBC
    Full Name:
    DIR
    Use a 9V battery in the cigarette lighter (or even to battery terminals) and the Motronic retains all memory so no need to re-learn

16. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #16 cwwhk, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
    I'm not an electrical engineer, but I do have 2 Master degrees in mechanical engineering. :D

I believe one spare battery connected in parallel will be much a much better approach than your inverter/charger solution for two reasons.

Failure mode: lead acid battery is a proven technology with literally zero chance of random instantaneous failure, where as an DC/AC inverter and trickle charger is more likely to fail abruptly.

Energy Efficiency: Two batteries connected in parallel will lose only a tiny % of their combined rated Ah capacity from slight differences in their internal resistance. This is insignificant compared to the electronic circuit conversion losses from the DC/AC inverter and trickle charger circuits. Therefore, two batteries in parallel will last longer than DC/AC inverter trickle charger solution.

Another possible supplemental solution to the parallel battery is to use a high amp smart charger, say Ctek MXS 10 (10amp) or MXS 25 (25amp) charger. So when you visit your car at the parking garage you can give the battery a quick bulk charge in very short time.

By the way the batteries can be connected in parallel via the cigarette lighter socket if it is always live (on older cars). Or via a quick connect plug such as Anderson plug.

17. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    I didn’t know you could keep the memory of the Motronic alive with a 9 Volt battery. Good idea. But there is the alarm system of the 575M too which drains quite a lot of power. So the 9 Volt battery would be empty after some hours I guess.

Markus

18. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks for your thoughts!!

Well, I don’t want to dispute with somebody who has two master degrees where I only have one :D:D:D

First of all, I already put my inverter together with the other stuff and I don’t want to go back (even if your solution would be the better one) :)

Secondly, I am not sure about the failure rate of the car batteries. We all know that they last for about 4-5 years and then you should change them. Even worse: If one of the batteries should have a short, this would drain the other batteries very quickly resulting in a nasty result. That’s why I don’t feel comfortable with this solution.
    When I was young (well, I am 50 now), I was running a very large computer system. The system was highly fault tolerant having 5 power supplies in parallel where 3 or 4 of them would have enough power for the whole system. Guess what happened: One of the power supplies had a short resulting in a damage of all other power systems. The engineers thought they built a solution with a high redundancy but in fact built one with a much lower redundancy.

And as a last point: Maybe I have a much simpler solution. There is a new house with 24 garage spots very close to my garage. I talked to the owner and he is willing to have me installed my Ctek to the wall outlet. I will visit the spots next week and if they are OK I think I will move my cars to this garage. This would be the simplest solution.

But anyay, I have to find out if my solution really works. I just returned from my skiing Holidays and will install my Inverter tomorrow (I did not want to install it last week and then go off for holidays. If something would have happend I want to be around and not 200 kms away).

Thanks for all these good suggestions! I really appreciate them!

Markus

19. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Ha ha ha moving is indeed the better solution. :D

20. 123howie

123howie F1 World Champ

Jul 3, 2014
    El Segundo CA
    Full Name:
    Howie
    Where I store my cars there is no electricity, I use two solar panels on the roof, one for each car, they are not super strong to charge a battery well, but they will maintain the batteries. You can spend more money than I did and get some stronger ones. I bought mine from Northern Tool, about $40 each. They have the smaller ones that lay on top of your dashboard also. H.

21. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    find another garage?

22. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    #22 Elsi, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    That’s exactly what I did. I found 3 spaces in a very nice underground garage. Power is no problem too since the owner of the garage has ordered a Tesla. He offers the little power I use for my battery tender for free and also offered me to come immediately into his garage where I have to pay for the spaces two months later (I still have to pay for my other spaces until the contract terminates).

The pic shows my 575M. I just moved the 512 TR as well into the new garage and still have a spare spot for another car…

It is quite a special garage since you have to enter it with a car elevator (see 2nd pic).

Markus

23. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    What does the "8" mean?
    7 stories below the first floor?
    I know that the Swiss like to dig deep holes into their montains, however, that deep for a garage?

24. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    It’s only about 2 floors (7 meters). The numbers are there to count back from 8 (or 10, not sure), that you see the elevator is moving. Very nicely done. The elevator is so calm and smooth you would hardly notice it is moving without the numbers.

Markus

25. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Nice!
    How would a small solar panel fare in the garage lights on their own? Enough to trickle charge?