Charles Leclerc- Ferrari Driver | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc- Ferrari Driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jun 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Agreed.

Russell exudes confidence on team radio....more so than Lewis when it comes to tire strat. This is also another factor in rating Lewis over his tenure in F1 compared to a "rookie" with Mercedes.

william likes this.
  2. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I guess one good thing about Chuck’s unseemly radio message in Brazil is that it shows he cares about being above Perez in the table.
    We can expect him to push very hard in Abu Dhabi.

3. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    does it also mean more $$$ to finish 2nd in championship?

635CSI likes this.
  4. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep

5. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Via Planet F1 -

Time for Leclerc to start positioning himself as Hamilton’s Mercedes successor
    The problem with Charles Leclerc, his detractors tell us, is that he just makes too many mistakes.

It is why – despite a stunning breakthrough season in 2019, some explosive qualifying laps in an uncompetitive car across 2020/21 and a fine start to this year – some are still reluctant to regard him as a match for Verstappen and Hamilton.

With Leclerc spinning out of a podium place at Imola and crashing out of the lead in France as his 2022 title challenge rapidly disintegrated, the unbelievers have a point. Leclerc may have the innate talent, but it remains untamed.

Yet drivers are often products of their environment and it has become increasingly obvious as the season has developed that, at Ferrari, Charles must deal with things Lewis and Max do not have to worry about.

If he was in a Red Bull or a Mercedes – protected from politics and left simply to drive the car as part of a well-organised team where such matters as strategy is left to the strategists and not debated over the radio during the race – could Leclerc reach the level of consistent excellence at which Verstappen and Hamilton have operated in recent years?

It is something he must start asking himself following Ferrari’s latest blunder in Brazil – the mistakes still coming, actually worsening, even though the pressure has long been off – where on Friday he was the only driver to begin Q3 on intermediate tyres and missed the window for a slick lap.

His post-qualifying explanation that Ferrari were expecting rain did not wash considering Carlos Sainz, as in Monaco, managed to avoid falling into the same trap as his team-mate, but Leclerc’s reaction in the heat of the moment was more instructive.

Having been publicly critical of Ferrari in Monaco and Baku, Leclerc has been more measured in the months after being collared by team principal Mattia Binotto in the immediate aftermath of July’s British GP, but could not resist straying into sarcasm in Sao Paulo.

“Nice. Nice one!” he remarked over team radio when the call to abandon the lap on inters came too late before he responded to the news that he would start the sprint no higher than 10th with: “Nice, beautiful. F*cking beautiful!”

As Ferrari found out with Alonso, it is when the pain becomes predictable – when even the star driver joins in with the mockery – that it is time to worry.

For the remainder of the weekend Leclerc – who sat alone on the grid shortly before the start on Sunday – had the look of a detached, dispirited, almost diminished figure, his early collision with Lando Norris doing little to improve his mood.

Can his faith in Ferrari ever be fully restored after all the mistakes of 2022?

Leclerc at Ferrari has become increasingly reminiscent of Hamilton in his final years at McLaren – a rare if unrefined talent struggling to hide his frustration with the team to whom he owes so much but who keep letting him down.

Hamilton himself is making all the right noises about prolonging his F1 career, recently indicating that he is prepared to race on beyond the age of 40, and given the way 2021 ended he has handled Mercedes’ difficult season far better than anyone could have imagined.

But what if the 2023 car is also detached from the front? At that point might he decide that after all he has achieved, he doesn’t need this anymore?

When the time comes, whenever that may be, the onus should be on Leclerc – as the quickest and most compelling option likely to be available to Mercedes, much as Kimi Raikkonen was to Ferrari when Michael Schumacher retired in 2006 – to position himself at the very front of the queue.

If he was already having doubts, qualifying in Brazil may have crystallised the idea in his mind that life at Ferrari is holding him back.

fil, spirot and william like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Before the AUDI and Porsche announcements, I considered Mercedes as the only option for Charles Leclerc.

But these 2 could bring more choice in a few years time.

DF1 and spirot like this.
  7. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Hamilton, is clearly #1 driver until he is not anymore. Look at the salary difference if there is any doubt.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Well its a good question but from what I know - Indy is a bit easier as most of the cars are the same and the teams are not building / making the car - but they are doing testing and upgrades... so I think its a combo of sponsor $$$ and position in the championship. The difference being in F-1 how do you separate the two- as the sponsors ( unless like Sainz - with Santander - brings $$$$ for the driver. its a hard one. Ferrari however should be better than the rest but I do think they need a Ross Brawn - Niki Lauda type that works with the drivers who knows the pressures and someone in the team is developing the drivers. To me it looks like they are all on their own... at Leclerc age you just dont have the maturity needed to deal with all the big biz and pressures. I think his manager is Todt's kid ... but still not enough. they should have brought back Jean Todt to run the team

william likes this.
  9. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I disagree. it's worked well in a lot of teams - Lotus ,McLaren, Ferrari, Williams etc... you just have to be clear up front. I think its a lack of Management clarity. Leclerc was clearly heads and shoulders above Sainz at the beginning of the year - they should have put all behind him. two bull headed drivers trying to win - does not work..... Mansell / Piquet, Senna, Prost, Hamilton, Rosberg, etc...

Bas likes this.
  10. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I think Hamilton just was not into it from the beginning - especially from how the championship ended. He's listening to all those who said they stole is from you etc... however for the last 10 races - he's back. once the car starts to get in the zone Hamilton will deliver. so unless Red Bull and Ferrari jump ahead next year, I would expect Hamilton to re surface - and give Russell a run. I think Russell is a good driver - yes, but his maturity level is way below that of Hamilton. like him or hate him - you have to recognize that Hamilton is the more mature winning driver - he knows how it feels to win... and deliver. Russell - not so much.... yet.

Boomhauer likes this.
  11. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Hamilton's contract finishes at the end of 2023.

I presume that if he wants to sign another one, the conditions and the money won't be the same.

12. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro

100% agree. Ferrari are grinding this kid down and dont even realize it. they need to get a Driver development leader in there... too many mistakes - nobody on his side on the inside.... got to get it together Ferrari.

DF1, jgonzalesm6 and william like this.
  13. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm not so sure. possible that he's done... but I don't see it... yet.

14. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Toto needs to look better after Russell, or he too may look somewhere else.

Also the sponsors will have more of a say about Hamilton. Some are not too happy about his activism, I hear.

15. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    Possibly - but with Hamilton is a double edged sword.. cut him and face backlash as well. Our guys love him ( Monster energy / Coca Cola )

16. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I was talking about Mercedes sponsors.

17. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    They are Mercedes Sponsors... Monster is on the car and drivers suit...

Monster is owned by Coca Cola....

william likes this.
  18. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
  19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Some recently retired German bloke might be looking for a job of that description...

375+ and furoni like this.
  20. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    If Charles wants, hamilton will get the boot pretty quickly, because they would swap the faster than Steiner cursing!
    I still think Charles want's Ferrari, if he sees a remote chance of winning there, he'll stay....just pick a decent boss, put the guys working 47/7 training pit stops, get ride of the spanish demolition crew and all will be fine.

21. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Ferrari has a long history of browbeating and demoralizing great drivers any time the winds aren't blowing favorably. It's a major problem.....

william likes this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    #397 jgonzalesm6, Nov 30, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    I hope Leclerc has a performance clause against Ferrari F1 to get out of all this drama.

He should be talking to Mercedes F1 right now for a 2024 seat. If, not, there's gonna be more hell to pay.

DF1 and william like this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I suppose his manager, Nicholas Todt, is on the case.

DF1 and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  24. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    If Leclerc leaves before winning a Championship with Ferrari - that would mean another 10 years of Ferrari being in the doldrums. I like Sainz, but don't see him being a World Champion unless he completely changes in 2023. As it stands Leclerc has some room to grow, but when he's winning he shows pretty good maturity... he just needs the support from Ferrari. If Leclerc is serious - he'll be in Maranello all winter long... getting to know and build the team around him.

Bas and DF1 like this.
  25. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Note to new Ferrari boss: Don't run the hard tyres!

Bas likes this.