Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver | Page 10 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Leclerc racks up Ferrari miles in Pirelli F1 tyre test

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari’s new signing Charles Leclerc completed the equivalent of more than two race distances at Paul Ricard on Thursday, as part of Pirelli’s 2019 Formula 1 tyre evaluation programme.

Sauber star Leclerc, who joins Sebastian Vettel at the Scuderia in 2019, completed 129 laps behind the wheel of the SF71H at the French Grand Prix venue. Vettel will drive the car tomorrow.

It marked the first time Leclerc has driven for Ferrari since being announced as a race driver for next year.

The test is viewed as crucial for Pirelli, as the F1 tyre supplier approaches the conclusion of its 2019 development programme. Leclerc shared the track with the Mercedes of Valtteri Bottas, who completed 102 laps.

Both teams had already conducted 2019 wet test days for Pirelli, but this was the first time that they have run the new slicks. The tyres were unbranded, so teams did not know which construction nor compound they were running.

The remaining tests, with Renault after the Japanese GP and Sauber after the Mexican GP, will focus on compounds.

The definitive tyres will then be run by all teams immediately after the Abu Dhabi GP.

Additional reporting by Adam Cooper

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/leclerc-ferrari-test-vettel-f1/3180606/?nrt=54

ATBNM3, Ferraripilot, fil and 5 others like this.
  2. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Thats alot of use and experience for Charles.Happy to see this. I am happy to see a new driver in red for next year.

daytona355 and Bas like this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    He's going to be so bummed getting back in the Sauber next week.

DF1 likes this.
  4. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    Charles Leclerc, Ferrari 488 Pista driver:

daytona355, 635CSI, NEP and 4 others like this.
  5. DF1

ATBNM3, daytona355 and Jeronimo GTO like this.
  6. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

People already have too much expectation regarding Leclerc.
    I am afraid that the Italian media will put too much pressure on him.
    He will need the time and space to adapt to a new team.
    We will see how Vettel reacts to a new team mate challenging him.

ATBNM3 and daytona355 like this.
  7. DF1

I have no expectations. We will see in testing and the first race what be brings to the team. Ricci had no problem going to Red Bull. Charles will be guarded by Ferrari management early on. They asked for him to be there. He will be under their wing and prepared I think.

8. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I'm not holding my breath, but I'm used that with Vettel and Kimi around. At this point, anything is better than the status quo which is two drivers that can't bag either a WDC or WCC.

ATBNM3 and william like this.
  9. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
  10. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I like this kid. We know he is a good driver, but can he motivate a team like Schumacher? Vettel should be concerned....

ATBNM3 likes this.
  11. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    I have a feeling Vettel will feel more pressure than Leclerc. What does Leclerc have to lose? Back to Sauber for a year? Sure it'll be embarrassing but at least he got a shot... Vettel has everything to lose if he's out performed, he's been there too long not to capitalize and has made too many mistakes.

12. DF1

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/907628/1/leclerc-if-i-m-not-good-enough-i-should-be-dropped-ferrari

Charles Leclerc says he would expect to be dropped by Ferrari if he fails to meet expectations during his first season with the Italian Formula 1 team in 2019.

Leclerc will replace Kimi Raikkonen as Sebastian Vettel’s Ferrari teammate next year following an impressive rookie campaign with the revitalised Sauber team.

Ferrari has traditionally named conservative driver line-ups and favoured experience but regular points finishes and a spate of Q3 appearances across a brilliant 2018 season has prompted the Scuderia to promote its protégé after just one full season in F1.

ATBNM3, stavura, fil and 1 other person like this.
  13. PMW2018

PMW2018 Karting

Feb 8, 2018
    France
    Full Name:
    Kitemona
    You should expect Leclerc to perform immediately rather than being afraid. Dont be afraid for a talent like him. Be afraid for someone like Bottas.

14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139837/vettel-leclerc-and-i-need-to-work-together-in-2019

Sebastian Vettel thinks it essential that he and new Ferrari team-mate Charles Leclerc have a cooperative working relationship in Formula 1 next season.

With the Scuderia deciding against retaining its number two driver Kimi Raikkonen for 2019, Vettel will have a new team-mate for the first time since he joined Ferrari in 2015.

But while Leclerc's natural speed is obvious, the 21 year-old lacks F1 experience with only 19 Grands Prix for Sauber under his belt, which is why Vettel thinks it would be a mistake if the pair locked horns in a fight for internal supremacy.

"It's going to be different for sure, because Charles is not Kimi and Kimi is not Charles," Vettel told Autosport.

"He is young, so he will have a lot on his head and a lot of things in his mind. So I think for the team we need to work together on track.

"I am sure he wants to beat me, [and] I want to beat him, the rules are clear. It was the same with Kimi.

"But I think the key is that we work together and, as I said, he will have a lot things going on in his head.

"I am his team mate, so I am also here to help. I am the last one that is trying to hide or playing any games or anything like that.

"That is why I think I get along very well with Kimi, because in this regard we are very similar. So we will see."

G. Pepper likes this.
  15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    It sounds like common sense. However, it also sounds as if Seb feels threatened by the youngster. lol Imagine if it were Max instead of Charles. The relationship would be more toxic than Ham and Nico.

16. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    wait...are we talking "vintage Max" or just standard max?

but seriously, yeah it will be interesting to see how well Leclerc and Vettel can gel. I'd like to think there's a lot of potential upside.

daytona355 likes this.
  17. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    Even with the newer, improved Max, he won't take crap from Seb. Charles is more malleable.

daytona355 likes this.
  18. DF1

That is easy for Max, the team is geared to support him. No question. If Ferrari mold quickly around Charles then a major shift in confidence will occur and 'standing ground' is easier.

19. DF1

Would be quite normal for Seb to feel a sense of threat. Charles has very positive press and hype. Vettel is the reverse for both press and hype.

20. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Jock Clear to take key role in Charles Leclerc's 2019 Ferrari debut

[​IMG]

ATBNM3 and G. Pepper like this.
  21. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Oops, jock clear? Sorry Chas..... next time mate hehehe

Jeronimo GTO and crinoid like this.
  22. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Yep, my thoughts exactly. :oops:

Jeronimo GTO and daytona355 like this.
  23. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    Arrivabene 11-04-18:

"I‘ve known Leclerc since 2016 and we saw that he was a boy with great talents which he also confirmed this season. His goal next year will be to gain experience. This is the most important aspect, to not get carried away and learn from Sebastian!"

Arrivabene: "Leclerc has the luxury of being able to face a season in which he will be asked to bring the car back to the pits and as forward as he can in the standings, but without pressure."

So in a nutshell for 2019:

1.) gain experience
    2.) learn from Vettel
    3.) bring the car home

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    4) Do not under any circumstances even try to pass or race against Vettel?

25. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    :D