Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    All the experts said Vettel was opposed to any teammate who would rival him. He could choose his teammate, by contract even. Similar with Schumi.

Now all of a sudden Kimi is removed from the team and Charles put into place to do whatever Vettel wants. Makes no sence at all.

In this day and age, the engine formula. Ferrari have a WC winning car. so the driver should deliver.No excuses.

This is to challenge Vettel. Vettel made some costly mistakes these past seasons. Vettel didn't and does not deliver.

Ferrari was resting on its laurels too much for far too long.

Marchionne stepped in and made some changes these past seasons. In hinsight this was on the cards.

This is typical Marchionne but not typical Ferrari.

Nembo1777, daytona355 and crinoid like this.
  2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I’d like to agree however I do not.

3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Maybe Ferrari will put their priority on Leclerc winning the championship and have Vettel crash into any challengers to take them out. :p:D

ingegnere likes this.
  4. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Well, if you read the whole article, he also aknowledges that if he doesn´t deliver he will be fired. At least he´s realistic.

stavura, DF1 and crinoid like this.
  5. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Ferrari is conservative, Marchionne is not.

6. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Yeah... just the Scuderia’s definition of “deliver”.

He’s also dead.

7. ypsilon

ypsilon F1 Rookie

May 4, 2008
    the Netherlands
    His decisions are probably more alive than those of Montezemolo.

8. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I have no idea what you’re talking about. Do you have any point to your posts? I stated my viewpoint and left it at that. You keep responding with things that don’t really have anything to do with the discussion of LeClerc’s role. You think he is there to challenge Vettel. I don’t. I did however do not any longer.

9. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    My wholly unsolicited advice to M. Leclerc...Do a little less talking right now, except for the usual polite niceties. Save it for when you have something to talk about.

10. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1. This is exactly what he should feel and want. He is going to live his dream!

Ferrari 308 GTB likes this.
  11. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Leclerc is being touted as the next Max,well that should be interesting.He obviously has a ton of natural talent so i hope he can get to show what he can do ,and not get tied up in the politics and negative stuff that can engulf Ferrari when the wheels start to fall of the wagon.

Let him race Vettel with no restriction, who i can imagine is already fretting a lil bit about his new team mate for 2019.

stavura, Jeronimo GTO and DF1 like this.
  12. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Showed today he can crash just like him at least.

He’s good but his biggest assett is his manager is FIA’s president’s son. Explains the early contract IMO just like all the undeserved Massa’s renewals.

Jack-the-lad, stavura, 375+ and 5 others like this.
  13. DF1

Vettel had a small moment with the wall as well LOL. Todt son has no leverage over Ferrari. They are just a bit larger in financial and political scope than him or his father Id say.

14. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Really? Wow...he's got a whole 7 more points than Stroll.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    If there was a DISLIKE button would have clicked.

Leclerc has proved to be extremely talented by his results: vice-champion (to Max) on the KZ World Championship, champion in the GP3 right in his first year, and did the same in F2. Nicolas spotted his talent quite early, as he did with Massa.

Let's not forget that Massa beat Schumacher in multiple occasions and like Leclerc had impressive results in the junior formulas. However it seems that that spring in Hungary changed him forever.

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  16. moretti

moretti Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    He's good at that :p

this is the best one :p

<------------- I think Sid did this one :p

17. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Never said he’s not good so don’t understand all the drama. Always thought having him next year was the right decision. Just it’s a strange coincidence between Massa, Bianchi and Leclerc, pretty much all of Nicolas Todt drivers would have been at Ferrari if not for tragic fate.
    Thanks God we missed out on Maldonado.

Flavio_C likes this.
  18. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Sshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Keep it down............ black dildo or whatever his name is will put a contract out on me :) :)

19. DF1

Ferrari reveals Leclerc signed to F1 race seat until at least 2022

20. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I wonder if they mean three years, or four. IOW, to 2022 or through 2022.

21. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/138823/leclerc-to-drive-for-ferrari-in-pirelli-test - Interesting to see this

Ferrari's 2019 signing Charles Leclerc will drive the team's current Formula 1 car in a Pirelli test at Paul Ricard this week.

Ferrari and Mercedes are both testing for Pirelli at the French Grand Prix venue on Thursday and Friday as the F1 tyre supplier approaches the conclusion of its 2019 development.

Although a couple of sessions remain on Pirelli's schedule this week's running is regarded as important, not least because it is being undertaken the two top teams, and because it is the last test before next year's constructions have to be signed off with the FIA.

Both teams have already conducted 2019 wet test days for Pirelli, but this will be the first time that they have run the slicks. Valtteri Bottas will be present for Mercedes, while Leclerc will join Sebastian Vettel at Ferrari.

"We are testing at Paul Ricard for two days," said Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola when asked by Autosport about the test.

"We are still developing the product for next year.

G. Pepper likes this.
  22. DF1

'Times are changing', explain Ferrari - https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12474/11500478/charles-leclerc-replaces-kimi-raikkonen-times-are-changing-explain-ferrari

Ferrari had to look to the future in promoting Charles Leclerc because of the recent surge of young drivers coming into F1, according to team boss Maurizio Arrivabene.

Leclerc, 21 in October, will become the youngest Ferrari driver in half a century when he replaces Kimi Raikkonen as Sebastian Vettel's team-mate next season.

Raikkonen, by contrast, will be the oldest driver on the grid next season by five years.

And Arrivabene has indicated the recent wave of young blood joining the grid was pivotal in the Scuderia's decision.

"Times are changing. The most important thing is to keep our DNA but also to look forward to the future," Arrivabene told Sky Sports F1.

"If you look at the situation in the paddock today, Red Bull took Gasly alongside Verstappen and McLaren have Sainz with Norris who is a rookie."

Leclerc is a graduate of Ferrari's young driver programme, and Arrivabene added: "Looking to the future, Mercedes making the choice two years ago [appointing Valtteri Bottas to partner Lewis Hamilton] they already have an advantage. The best way to be able to gain something is to make that choice and to grow up a talent that was born into the Ferrari driver academy."

Although Vettel has indicated his preference was for Raikkonen to be retained, Arrivabene says his driver's opinion carried no weight in the team's decision.

"Sebastian is our driver, he is not a team principal, with all due respect," countered Arrivabene." My job is to look at the overall situation, to discuss with my bosses, to give to them a long-term plan.

"When we were talking about the long-term plan, the decision is taken by the management and not by the driver."

23. Jeronimo GTO

Jeronimo GTO Formula 3

May 15, 2010
    "Sebastian is our driver, he is not a team principal, with all due respect," countered Arrivabene.

Mmmmmm...

A fly in the ointment? :cool:

24. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 7, 2012
    Insubria
    A little bit of Leclrec in karting - 2013 KZ1 World Championship

Starting grid: Verstappen in pole, Leclerc in 6th. However, the four drivers (Ardigo, de Conto, Hajek, and Forè) between them have won in total 11 world championships!

End result: Verstappen champion, Leclerc second, Lennox-Lamb third.

daytona355, Nembo1777 and G. Pepper like this.
  25. DF1

This was apparent clearly last season when Sergio publicly stated Vettel was told to stay out of business in the team that did not need his attention/concern him. So anyone who thinks this did not apply to driver choice was dreaming. Even the press kept up the lie that Vettel had influence.

No....he had zero. Sergio was the leader and Arrive his agent. Sergio was completely in charge from Day 1. Period.

Vettel is a driver nothing more. I was not at all believing Sergio would 'allow' Vettel to have decision power on something that does not concern him. This is not Schumi Ferrari team under Vettel. Vettel had dreams possibly of that but they are dead and never were alive with Sergio. As it should be. Drive and and score wins/points. At that Vettel is not doing as well as he should.

I give him one more season of inconsistent pressure driving and his position will be under review. If Charles beats him, I can see him leaving. No loss. He is beyond over rated in terms of winning under pressure. He does not appear to be as talented in that area compared to others. Yes there is a team component to the mistakes but Vettel has made too many on his own.

Jeronimo GTO and Makuono like this.