Charred "W" Connector Repair Kits | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Charred "W" Connector Repair Kits

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Oct 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. greatscott73

greatscott73 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2017
    Eastern Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Howard Scott
    Unless you really enjoy self abuse and virtually unlimited frustration, trade that FB in on a new one. Guido makes a beautiful replacement that requires a bit of time and labor to wire, but once done is bulletproof. GT Parts in Phoenix also makes a great "plug-and-play" replacement. Their customer service is also great. Dave Helms makes a new board that removes some of the more power draining circuits. A bit more expensive, but most likely the gold standard.
    I have the GT board in my car, and it is the single best upgrade I have made to the car in three plus years of ownership.
    Your car, and your blood pressure, will thank you.

2. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Guido/Steve - thank you both for all of your input on this...I will proceed slowly and carefully when I first put 12v back on in the car (which will be several months from now)...I bought a non-running project car in early 2021 that hadn't been on the road since the early 1990s and it's been great getting all the expert advice from people like you...again, much appreciated and I am sure I will be back with other questions - Joe

Image Unavailable, Please Login

theunissenguido and JLF like this.
  3. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Here are some ideas on my fuse box de-bugging that would be good to get your reactions to:

1) On the black wire that was added to the back of the fuse box (soldered to the middle relay on the right side of the box - looking from the front of the box), if I kept this added wire, would it be good to add an in-line fuse between the black wire and where it meets the beige wire (on W connector) that goes to the fuel pump?

2) Same question on the green wire on the W connector (according to the Euro QV wiring diagram this seems to be for the stop light switch??) where the added wire goes into the driver side cockpit and is connected to a yellow wire in a molex connector - if I kept the wiring as I found it, would it be a good idea to add an inline fuse?

Any help is big help - Thank you

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Joe, with all respect ! That you are willing to continue with this board is a riddle for me. Let me tell you what will happen = you drive at night, and suddenly you are without lights....you drive and out of the blue its starts raining, and you are without windshield wipers,...you drive and your engine stops, no brake booster....and I can go one like this for hours. Not a good idea to try keeping that car with his original board.

5. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Appreciate your feedback but in the interest of trying to save $1,500+ at this juncture I am going to try to make this one work for now...Why? Because it is not delaminated and shows no signs of damage.. I know you guys hate the bullet fuses but I have them in my Pantera and if you "look after them" you can make them work...If it's a problem when I get around to trying to get the car running (several months away), I can spring for a new board then (and I know who to contact!) - Thank you again - Joe

6. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    An new, improved board from GT Car Parts is $800, I didn't know I had one in my car until I posted some pics of it here. GT contacted me and told me I had one of their boards. Must have been installed by the PO. Even with the new board, I still had burnt wire in the W connector, but I also replaced all the old relays with new Bosche units a few years ago, and when I removed it to do the relay/fuse swap again a few months ago, I found another burnt wire on the connector on the far left (AC condenser fan?) Not sure, didn't track it down, just fixed with one of the pigtails I used to make and sell here. This time, just like a few years ago, all the electrical system came back up better, brighter, faster too!
    Alden

7. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Alden, I'm not sure to understand. With that GT Car parts board you still have burned connectors ? After that newer board was installed or the PO owner did not change the burned connectors ? If this is the case, it proves that the little male connectors where the wires are put, are not doing the job that is needed for the current going true them.

8. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Guido,
    The little females on the white connectors, yes! I replaced the burnt ones with 3/16" gold plated spades!

I had two burnt on the W connector when I replaced all the fuses and relays five years ago, I just did it all again and W connectors I replaced were still OK, but I found another burnt connector on the far left side of the box (AC condenser fan? not sure, don't have my schematic right now) Also, PO put a bridge, soldered to the board at the fuel pump circuit, posted here in an other thread of mine, with pics. I recommend to everyone to look to the fuse/relay board first when trying to diagnose a problem. Even with new relays and fuses five years ago, after 4 years, I was having hard cold start issues last year, I didn't look at the fuel system, just replaced the relay and fuse the that circuit = no more problem. When I did the job again last year, discovered the GT board I didn't know I had (thanks GT for letting me know) my dash lights, marker lights and head lights were having problems, after cleaning board contacts and replacing the burnt connector, AND ALL fuses and relays again = no problems, solved, everything and other circuits were better faster, brighter.

Some advice for everyone, and more than worth you paid for it:

Clean your ground connections.
    Stop chasing "gremlins" and do some maintenance to the fuse block, its a cheap and easy place to start.
    If you have the original board, replace it with Guidos or GT Parts board. It WILL delaminate and cause problems at some point.
    Alden

greatscott73 likes this.