Chassis 1C/10S Updated Information | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Chassis 1C/10S Updated Information

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jawsalfa, Jun 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    I believe there was one and possibly two chassis built by Gilco that followed these drawings by Colombo. Gilco soon realised that where the central X member joined in the middle needed to be supported with two tubes connecting tke X joint to the outside chassis tubes.There is a picture in "Ferrari, Fifly Years on the Track" of an early chassis without these cross members.. Both 01C and 02C when rebuilt at Ferrari had the cross members added and they were also incorperated on all othere Gilco road car chassis. just one man's opinion Baltic35

2. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

I'm not sure if any chassis were actually built with just the "X" crossmember, as in the Colombo drawings. It sure would be nice to see a plan view of 1C/10S....

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #103 T308, Jul 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Thanks. Interesting, as I've never seen that chasis style before. Does the caption give a chassis number?

5. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's "01C/010I"

6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Something about it looks funny to me. That, plus the fact there is no documentation on 1C or 10S....

7. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's 01C/010I not 1C/10S

8. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    #108 jawsalfa, Jul 10, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    YES. My father was able to manuver a camera in for a shot (albeit a little blurry) of the front crossmember of 1C/10S. Note that the cut away "notch" appears to have been stamped into the chassis crossmember. We are now working to see if there are any markings to the right of this notch (location where 002 is stamped).
    Napolis, this notch in the chassis for the crank had gone unnoticed all these years. Thank you for providing the guidance (and photo from 002) to help solve this mystery. Best to all, JAW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Oops, my error. There is still something that doesn't look quite right to me unless there were a fair number of changes from 01C (assuming the car was built to the Colombo drawings) to 010I

10. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    Napolis,
    After I posted the pic of the crossmember of 1C/10S, I decided to go back to re-read the original thread in the hopes of gleaning some insights that might have initially gone unnoticed. Interestingly, I found a reference to 1C made by B. Noon in post #202 in the following link:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16284&page=11

In this post, I believe that Bill is seeking to clarify the stampings on 010I and the authenticity of same; however, this is not at all the vein in which the posting is of interest to me. I find Noon's quote (below) highly interesting as in it he mentions (more than one time) clarification points on "1C". Also mentioning that Rogliatti told him that 1C and 2C were believed scrapped and that he believed that 1C later became 010I and that 2C later became chassis 020I.

Noon quote begins...
    "Today the as found stampings remain on the car and I saw them a few years ago when Willbanks showed the car at Pebble Beach.

I do not know why someone now claims these many years later that they restamped the car for Sir Anthony. I have left a message for him but have not heard back as I would like to hear his comments and see if such a person might still work for him.

What seems very strange is that the car was sold to all of its private owner's its entire life as 010I. At what point did someone apparently stamp the car 1C or 01C then re-hide with 010I again and why bother???

When I took the car in 1997 to the Ferrari Factory, there was no Classiche program and little interest in the older cars except to a few individuals. Rogliatti explained in a simple factual way that their records showed 1C and 2C were scrapped and had there frames used over again in 010I and 020I.

My involvement with 01C/010I ended shortly thereafter. I am aware however that when Willbanks agreed to the restoration and certification of the car at Ferrari he did so with no promises on what they would find. When they had the car completely stripped it satisfied them completely that the frame was that of 1C." End Quote

I, of course, hesitate to make assumptions as to the potential implications of the existence of 1C in the event it still indeed exists seperate from 010I...

11. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    It's my understanding that 01C became 010I; not 1C....and that 01C and 1C were 2 different chassis...

12. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I'm wondering if people are afraid to post an opinion about 1C/10S becuase of possible legal ramifications over the fact that Classiche has "certified" 01C/010I ??

13. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Stu

Have you heard of 1C as opposed to 01C? Bill's post is strange and interesting as he does refer to 1C.

Best

14. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    #114 dretceterini, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008

I have seen a reference to cars numbered 1C and 2C; both without any zeros. I don't remember where though, and I've been searching through what I have since my long conversation with "Jawsalfa" last evening. It may have been in the Geoffrey Eaton book from circa 1986, of which I don't have a copy (or if I do, I can't find it)

It's very possible the zero (or two zeros) was left off, and (for example), when the writer (Eaton?) referred to a car as 2C, he was actually talking about your car.

I have seen articles and posts that call your car 02C, but also 002C.

This is the first time I've ever seen or heard of anything about 10S.

Based on the photos posted here and the research I've done so far, I believe what we have are PARTS of the first Ferrari, but I wouldn't even hazzard a guess as yet if there are enough parts there to call it the first Ferrari car.

15. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting.

16. Randy Forbes

Randy Forbes Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2006
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    Sports Cars Plus,LLC
    #116 Randy Forbes, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    I have at least one (1) maybe two (?) books by Goeffery Eaton; I'll take a cursory look...

Fortunately, my scanner has fritzed out so not copyright infringement to worry about.

Edit: turns out I have three (3) books by GODFREY Eaton, so this will take longer than I thought.

17. jawsalfa

jawsalfa Karting

Mar 2, 2008
    Chevy Chase, DC
    Full Name:
    John W.
    I think that you will find the reference in Godfrey Eaton's "The Complete Ferrari'. Thanks for taking a look. Best, JAW

18. 246tasman

246tasman Formula 3

Jun 21, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Will Tomkins
    Yes, Godfrey Eaton! I had a John Godfrey book out just before and confused the two - sorry.

19. Michael Muller

Michael Muller Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    Bergen NH (NL)
    Full Name:
    Michael Muller
    As he is also talking about 3C obviously from Stan Nowak, because "3C" ist Stan's invention.

20. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    I am not saying that this is the answer, only that this is what I was told ....
    Note: "Apparently the first stamping was incorrect and the chassis had to be stamped again." Maybe when stamping 010 the last 0 didn't stamp correctly and only came out looking like a C (hence 01C) so it had to be stamped again?
    Nathan

21. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The interesting thing is that this person claims that the stampings on 01C/010I were made by him in the sixties and before he made those stampings there were none on that chassis and interestingly no one has refuted that statement.

We know from the log book that 1C/10S stampings were on the car for at least 40 years.

Michael you owe me a bottle of good wine. The dimension from the rear cross bar to the cross bar that the sway bar runs through in 002C is 2 feet.

22. piloti

piloti Formula 3
    Honorary

Jul 11, 2004
    England
    Full Name:
    Nathan Beehl
    Hi Stu
    I don't know about afraid of being sued - I think it's more a case of not knowing what 1C/10S is. As you posted earlier in this thread "That, plus the fact there is no documentation on 1C or 10S.... ". I have checked many references, going back many years and I can't find any references either (other than Godfrey Eaton's reference to 1C which seems to be 01C).
    A fascinating thread and thanks to Jawsalfa for starting it.
    Nathan

23. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I agree. The person you spoke to/of about 01C/010I's stampings has stuck to his story for a long time and I do think it's odd that the current owner of 01C/010I, The Judges at Pebble, and Ferrari Classiche have ignored the allegation that those stamps are not original. If those stamps are not original what are they basing their belief that that is in fact 01C's original chassis used by Ferrari to make 010I at a later time?

1C/10S's 125 brakes and wheels are very interesting. They could simply be a case of binned parts being used at a later point but they are 125.

Cheers

24. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Your theory about 1C/10S parts is the berst one to date. See my previous post. justy one man's opinion tongascrew

25. superleggera

superleggera Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Dry Heat, AZ
    A couple of questions in regard to this chassis: (some had been covered somewhat in other threads -- too bad they aren't all in one comprehensive thread)

1) Is there a definitive ownership chain of this chassis pre-Bamford?
    2) Has this chassis shared shop space with other 125/159/166 chassis? (Nowak or Bamford?) Just curious if parts might have been swapped amongst chassis at one point (and re-stamped)? ie: putting better brakes on a running chassis and putting old ones on non-running chassis.
    3) If this was a 125 chassis (TBD - but most likely) -- what coachwork has been on it pre-Motto (current) and post-original?
    4) The disc wheels and brakes -- can we get better external and internal pictures of them for historial purposes?