Chassis 46333 | FerrariChat

Chassis 46333

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by LongJohnKickstart, Jul 13, 2022.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Hi all. Introducing myself to what seems to be a very collegial and useful forum – just acquired a RHD silver ’83 400i, chassis 46333. Plenty of history with it. Big engine rebuild about 15 years ago and apparently hasn’t seen much use, or daylight, since. So, all the usual potential pitfalls when starting to use an unused car – the fun begins…

It had a proper service a few months ago and I did about 400 miles in it before an oil pipe blew. Hopefully no damage done, as the pressure light just flickered on and I pulled over in short order. Reckon I’ll get a compression and leakdown done for some peace of mind.

Up to that point, I have to say – it was simply lovely. Really, simply lovely. I’d tried an identical car, plus a 365 before, and this is what motoring is all about for me.

Brakes probably need adjusting and the steering is perhaps a bit heavier at low speeds than it should be. Will splash out on a fresh set of TRXs.

Car is in the UK, but I’m not, most of the time, so it’s being attended to in my absence, and hopefully will be ready for some epic driving in a couple of months.

With super unleaded at over £2 per litre in the UK, I thought, what better time to get a 40 year old V12? Fuel ain’t going get cheaper – and what a way to burn it….

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Very nice and welcome! Longstone is the place to get new TRX's

3. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Thanks. Yes, Longstone are great. I had a set of XWXs for a Mercedes that came from them, I think. A decent set of tyres makes a massive difference. The newest on this 400 were from 2005!

4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Or you can just cross the channel, and have some tires fited for €390 each while you have lunch in the French countryside? Not cheaper in the end, but way more fun.

5. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Nice idea. I'll think it over. Any excuse to go for a drive. Are the right tyres easier to obtain in France?

6. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Disk brakes can’t be adjusted. What issues are you having with them? Nice looking car.

7. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Get used to the strong arm steering at low speed. Parking???
    Ken

8. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Thanks. A couple of times I had to lean on the brakes a little, and the pedal was rock hard. Not emergency braking, just moderate. Maybe just needs some fresh fluid?

9. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Yes. It's a while since I had driven an 80s Ferrari, so I guess I'd forgotten that characteristic. Once it's moving, it seems fine.

10. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Fluid probably does need to be changed but based on the rock hard pedal it sounds like a possible issue with the power brake system. This runs off of a vacuum pump driven from one of the engine cams. I’d check the condition of the vacuum lines from the pump to the brake booster. Also it could be the booster is also failing as these cars a fairly old and rubber parts deteriorate over time

11. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Thanks, Jim. That's really useful. I'll report back.

12. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Take it for a drive and then put your hand on the center of each wheel when you return to see if one is hotter than the rest. I had a sticky left rear calliper that gave me a hard brake pedal, left rear wheel was significantly warmer than the rest.

13. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    I'll do that. It's going back to the shop with a to-do list, starting with the oil loss, then brakes and tyres next. Hopefully, when I next see the car in September, it'll be in better shape. The intention is to use it pretty regularly - ideally on dry days and open roads, neither of which are very common in England! - to keep things fresh, and help inform preventative maintenance.

14. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    A few snags have been addressed. The oil loss wasn't a pipe, it was the oil cooler itself that gave up. An unusual issue, but straightforward to replace and no damage done. Engine is running beautifully. The heavy steering was down to fluid loss - I had noticed a leak from the self-levelling system but not realised the connection. Fortunately, with everything tightened up and the system refilled, the steering and the self-levelling work fine. I think my concern about the brakes was just a matter of unfamiliarity with the car. She's stopping fine, with just a bit of judder, so maybe some discs and pads at some point, but adequate for now. And the new tyres and great. I'm getting some miles in while the weather is still good here in the UK. This at the Shelsley Walsh hillclimb last Sunday.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Il Tifoso and samsaprunoff like this.
  15. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Glad you got it sorted easily.

16. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    I've seen posts about front indicator lenses, but mostly from a while ago, so I'd be grateful for any up-to-date advice. I need one
    and if I replace that, maybe the colour won't match and I might need one for the other side too. They seem to be available in the UK at £1k per side. I am grubbing around Ebay for used ones, but not much luck. I saw https://www.squadranuvolari.com/ferrari-products.htm mentioned on a post some time ago, listing a pair for a much more reasonable price, and have just contacted them. Any advice most welcome! Are 412 lenses a straight swap?

In the meantime, this wonderful car has gone into storage while I'm away for a few months. I'll miss the noise.

17. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    These lenses are painted, so you can get any clear lense and apply transparent hobby paint.

I've fixed a few cracks with LOCA glue. That's perfectly transparent but not as strong as clear epoxy (Bxxx glue).

Some turkish made repro were available for €300, but are now more expensive. STill less than $1000 though.

18. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Thanks for the info.

19. LongJohnKickstart

Sep 25, 2018
    UK
    Full Name:
    Damian
    Secondhand indicator lens bought from a chap in Germany called Frank. Let's see how it looks. Meantime, someone took the car out for me for a run this week as I'm away for a while and I don't want it to be parked up unused for too long.
    Yep. I think that'll do. Reckon I'll hang onto this one.