Cheap Fix for Sticky Melting Parts | FerrariChat

Cheap Fix for Sticky Melting Parts

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by darkcavallino, Aug 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. darkcavallino

darkcavallino Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Chan
    First post for me. Can't seem to find a guide here or other places about our sticky interior. My car is a 2012 Cali and I am in Australia. Most of the parts are still good but they are starting to go sticky and melt. My HVAC Panel was one of the worse parts. It’s soft enough to have deep scratches on it. Dust and hair are stuck all over it as well.

My options were:
    -send to one of the companies to re-skin and have no ac for 6 weeks
    -buy a A$2500 new panel and see if it'll last more than a few years
    -or applied a US$45 “sticky melting solution” protective solution and hope for the best

I’m glad to say that the last option worked out well. Cosmetically it is surprisingly good as long as steps are taken to address the finishing. Some treated parts had survived a couple of years in the Australian heat so the treatment stood the test of time as well.

Below is my way of applying it if you are interested:

[​IMG]
    The parts need to come off or the surrounding area needs to be masked. The “solution” is a thick, white, liquid similar in consistency to wood glue. It’s difficult to control in sharp angle and crevices. Knobs are taken off the HVAC here.

I cleaned the parts with 70% alcohol first to remove most of the dust and debris stuck on it. I also tried the cleaning solution from the same company but it was thick and difficult to control and it melted the surface more than 70% alcohol.
    [​IMG]
    Once cleaned to a reasonable degree, I applied the 1st coat of the protection solution with a brush. I then texturise with a flat sponge surface (below) and then a small sponge roller from a hardware store. Let the coat dry for 30 minutes and then reapply in the same way.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The product looks white when applied but it drys clear. It drys with streaks if it’s just applied with a sponge or brush. If you like a good finish then it has to be texturised before it cures. If you have ever painted a wall with a brush and roller then you’d know what I mean. This is what it looks like 30 minutes after the first coat:
    [​IMG]
    After 3 coats the finish is good enough to be displayed on the dash.
    [​IMG]
    It’s not perfect but it’s also not cheap hard plastic either. The scratches hide well under the texturised surface. Best of all, no waiting for parts to finish and relatively cheap.

Attached Files:

LightGuy, Mmckee, paulchua and 3 others like this.
  2. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Impressive work! Please continue to post with updates on how it holds up over time

3. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    Nice work! It's hard to believe that after all these years, Ferrari is still doing the sticky thing.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    Good solution to a problem that I find hard to believe persists. I guess the designers at Ferrari really only are interested in the initial sale.

flat_plane_eddie and Boomhauer like this.
  5. Redneck Slim

Redneck Slim Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2011
    Palo Alto,CA,USA
    Full Name:
    Walt Kimball
    Ian: Just to be clear,are you saying that parts you treated with this product are fine after two years?

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    appreciate the tip! Do keep the community updated on long term observations!

Cheers

7. darkcavallino

darkcavallino Rookie

Oct 5, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Chan
    Yeah, the protector solution seems to keep the parts from going sticky for over 2 years now.

I tried it on this floor boot/fuel button 2 years ago. Only 1 coat. I didn't like the finish, got streaks on it from brush strokes. Since the buttons are on the floor I didn't really mind.

So far it kept this part from melting again. The surface did scratch though.

The HVAC was going very sticky but I left it until it was unbearable cos I was worried about the appearance after I apply the solution. This solution is too thick to spray. So I thought I'd texturise it instead, thankfully it came up well. I was fully prepared to buy a carbon cover to cover it if it was ruined from the protector solution.
    IMG_6428.jpg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Redneck Slim likes this.