Cheap repair of a Speed Sensor Type 2 Vegilia (68 0517) | FerrariChat

Cheap repair of a Speed Sensor Type 2 Vegilia (68 0517)

Discussion in '308/328' started by craiggo, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. craiggo

craiggo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2012
    Redwood City
    Full Name:
    Craig
    #1 craiggo, Aug 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have not seen this posted anywhere so I'm sharing to ensure this info gets out there.

Like many of you, the speedometer on my '87 328 seemingly stopped working. Actually, it would work, then it would stop. Then it would get warm and start working again. Finally, it died for good.

For those of you that went out and purchased a new sending unit, you might want to stop reading this post, right here.

We were able to measure input/outputs and it wasn't working. My dad fully believed it was a bad transistor in the sending unit so we found replacements and were all set to replace them. After struggling for a while to get it open, it finally unlocked and we could see the innards.

On a whim, my dad decided to reheat all solder joints. He retested and it worked! We resealed it, reinstalled and the damn thing has worked perfectly ever since.

So before any of you go out and spend any money replacing these units, try this first.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ellum likes this.
  2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Great fix! Thanks for posting.

3. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Holy friggin crap! Same thing happens on Miata speed sensors. Those puppies were crimped though, and sealed with silicon. You can dremel out the silicon and then add solder but I decided to go ahead and pony up the cash like I did for the 348 sensor. Ferrari was easier on hand than Maserati but at the added markup. Got it done and then flew to Brazil. I just installed my new sensor in the Miata a couple weeks ago. Also replaced the Ford MTF since it drains out of the sensor hole too. I can't believe how silly these speed sensors are! I made a heat jacket for the 348 since it sits next to the cat. Miata sits next to collector on my 4-2-1 header ;) But I got 100K out of the old one. Can't see on the 360 but probably need hydraulic fluid for the top.