Check engine light | FerrariChat

Check engine light

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by drabe, Sep 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drabe

drabe Karting

May 29, 2010
    CEL came on today. Nothing else and car still runs great. Checked the gas cap and it wasn't tightened all the way. Would that be enough to trigger? The CEL didn't extinguish when I restarted but am I correct in assuming that it may take a few runs to do so?
    thanx

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #2 tazandjan, Sep 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. plip

plip Formula Junior

Aug 25, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Gianni Olivieri
    Hi

do not know if the gas cap can be the trigger for the CEL. On mine the light went on, tried the reset cycle but come on again shortly after resetting the ECU.

Had to go to the dealer with SD2 to read all sorts of parameters (misfire on several cylinders). The cause was an air leak on gasket on intake manifolds (both) which was , probably, not properly installed on last major. BTW Ferrari is aware of the gasket trouble since the new spare have an update number and looks different from the one which was installed in the car.

Hope the reset cycle will cure your problem for good.

Gianni

4. chris-w

chris-w Rookie

May 1, 2013
    London
    I ended up having to use this guide last night. I didn't do up my gas cap tight as it was almost impossible to get off last time I went for a fill-up and within 10 miles of driving like this I had the check engine light come up.

Tightened it, turned the battery isolator off overnight did the procedure above and the fault has now gone. Great!

5. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Usually there is a reason why the ECU throws a CEL and I would drive to my mechanic to analyze the CEL instead of just clearing it.

My 575M had a CEL some days before. The engine was running as always (no slow down). Funny enough after about one week the CEL disappeared by itself. Since I wanted to know what the problem was I visited the shop and they put their analyzer on the car. It was the same problem as Gianni had (must be a “Swiss problem”) with an air leak on gasket on intake manifolds.

Markus

6. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Gianni – When I looked at your profile I discovered several similarities:

- We both live in Switzerland
    - We both are 49 years old
    - We both have a 575M
    - We both have a TR (I have a 512TR)

Quite funny…

Markus

plip and F456M like this.
  7. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Markus- All the 550s and 575Ms with original intake manifold gaskets have a problem. I had my techs retorque mine every annual, but when we did the 5 year in June (really a 9-10 year since my 1st belt change was a lock and swap), the intake manifold gasket was disintegrating and pieces had undoubtedly been ingested. The new, improved intake manifold gaskets are rubber or vinyl covered metal, and should be much tougher. Still a good idea to retorque the intake manifold bolts annually, since they are very lightly torqued and tend to vibrate loose.

The initial post in this thread was for a known loose gas cap. If the OP had just continued driving, the CEL would have gone away on its own after tightening the cap. That was 3 years ago, and now I probably would not recommend doing a master reset with the battery disconnect switch for such a minor glitch. Plus the 10 minute idle run cycle works just as well as the drive run cycle posted above, and without the danger of getting bashed while driving.

8. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Thanks, Terry. I didn’t realize that this is such an old thread.

I also had this intake manifold gasket issue with my prior 575M.

Together with my tech we decided to leave it as it is and to fix it in November when the 50 000 km service is due for my HGTC.

BTW: I sent the bulletin of FNA you provided regarding the 5 year belt change on the 575M to my tech (he is the foreman of an official Ferrari dealer). He never heard about that and thus asked the Ferrari factory in Maranello. They did NOT confirm the 5 year belt change interval for the 575M to him! So either my mechanic asked the wrong person (what I would doubt) or it is just a statement of FNA but not of the factory. Are there any other statements/bulletins from other part of the world outside the US regarding the 5 year belt change interval on the 575M?

Markus

PS: My tech agreed that it shares the same layout and parts as the 612 which has a 5 year belt change interval. So no doubt from a technical perspective but just no confirmation from the factory.

9. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    We've looked into this before and there is no equivalent to the US 5 year bulletin so elsewhere its 3 years still - someone was given the excuse that use patterns are different ie in Europe use/mileage is greater so the 3 year bearing check (which is what it amounts to) is more necessary

10. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #10 tazandjan, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Markus- Affirmative, the Superamerica (and 612), with essentially the same engine and belts, shows a five year interval for belt changes. FNA got that 575M bulletin from Ferrari, so it is not an FNA exclusive thing. Tell him to ask someone who keeps the service bulletins.

Ferrari was already deep into the 612 development in 2002 and the first ones were produced in 2003. One of Ferrari's objectives for the 612 was decreased service requirements, hence the updated belts for the 575M, in the late 01/early 02 timeframe, that went straight into the 612 and then the later Superamerica.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

F456M likes this.
  11. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I had my first CEL light on my 575 this week, after 4.5 years of ownership. (My 550 had a CEL more often than it didn’t). Ironically, it came on as the guy from my dealer was driving it back to me after its annual. He turned around and went back. Dealer is checking it out. An initiation process for my 575. The lights in my 430 and F512M and 550 always ended up being related to faulty sensors. That’s my bet here. Let’s see..

12. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Darius- They may have chapped her off by disconnecting something and then reconnecting it (or not reconnecting it). No telling until the SD2 work is done.

At least you do not have to worry about it being F1 related.

Themaven likes this.
  13. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I'm not all together unconvinced that maybe petulance is involved in some cases. :rolleyes:

Themaven likes this.
  14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    That's because we spoil them like children. They work best with tough love...like a trackday!

Themaven likes this.