checking 360 oil level | FerrariChat

checking 360 oil level

Discussion in '360/430' started by jackgt, Jan 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    At a cars and coffee a mechanic at the Ferrari dealer was talking about checking oil levels. He said that you had to wait until the oil cooler switch was on to check the level. I can not find anything in the pics on a 360. I DID discover something. there is a big difference between warm coolant and warm engine oil temps on the stick--

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Dave rocks likes this.
  3. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I check mine with the engine hot and immediately after shut down.

4. mike01606

mike01606 Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2012
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Mike M
    Engine hot, oil up to full temp, engine idling, cap resting on the neck not screwed down

grtoz, E60 M5, whatheheck and 2 others like this.
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 2, 2005
    Gland Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Heikki
    I think the oil needs to be in the 10 o'clock position to be considered at the right temperature. If the oil is really frothy, it helps to drive gentler to reach the right oil temperature. Makes it easier to read on the stick. If I really wring her out just before checking oil levels, it's much too frothy to get a clear reading... And take some oven mitts with you, the cap gets really hot!

6. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I'm pretty sure this is what the manual says.

7. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
    In my experiences, it was only frothy when it was overfilled...

This:

8. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    my point of the thread was that engine warm means oil temp warm not coolant temp. I have no idea what the Ferrari mech was talking about referencing the oil cooler valve.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  9. grtoz

grtoz Karting

Dec 14, 2010
    Byron Bay, Australia
    Full Name:
    Graeme Towers
    f355spider and Mimmo Blue like this.
  10. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    interesting choice.

11. stu

stu Rookie

Mar 3, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Key detail here is engine needs to be idling when you check the level because of the dry sump system. If you check it with engine off, you will read lower than actual level and risk overfilling.

12. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Correct: It needs to be idling. Your second part is wrong. You just don't check it with the engine off. There is no way to get an accurate or consistent reading so you may over or under fill. You might as well not bother checking if you are checking engine off because you have no idea what the result is.

13. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    +1. I overfilled once and got smoke on startup. Sucked it out with a turkey baster after a couple times. Next change I pumped out what I could and drained the rest. Then did the check hot and running. I pumped the excess out with my new extractor down to the low mark/end cap plate in the d-tank neck. Dipstick tip would be wet but level was a bit harder to see when warm. I got a low light on startup once or twice after long down times but pressure was always good and I don't see it now. I think I threw in a couple dashes as well along the way. No smoke on startup either.