Chet Flynn mistery 340 Coupe Sebring 1955 | FerrariChat

Chet Flynn mistery 340 Coupe Sebring 1955

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jsalgatti, Apr 22, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jsalgatti

jsalgatti Karting

Mar 14, 2009
    At Sebring 1955, Chester Flynn entered a 340 Ferrari Coupe # 12 to be driven by E Muñoz and R Morales. During practice it suffered an accident and did no started. Does any of you have pictures of this car?

2. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
  3. emunoz167

emunoz167 Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    #4 emunoz167, May 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Good evening,

Here is a copy of the original photo taken from a family scrapbook, please excuse the quality.

The story as far as I know is that this Ferrari was to take part in the 1955 Sebring race, to be driven by Reina Morales and Eduardo Muñoz Sanchez-Monge (my father), both from Venezuela. The Ferrari had an accident in practice , and was withdrawn.

We believe that the Ferrari was property of Chester Flynn, who was working at GM Venezuela at that time, and had good relations with the organizers at Sebring. It is probable that this vehicle was located in USA.

He also signed up a Mercedes 300Sl, which he eventually drove with Eduardo Muñoz Sanchez-Monge as a copilot. The Mercedes was used by Chet Flynn in Venezuela, was flown from Venezuela to Miami in a Fairchild C-119, according to a friend of my father. He recalls that the fit of the 300Sl in the Fairchild was a very tight fit....
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Jocko Bradelli

Apr 18, 2012
  5. emunoz167

emunoz167 Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
  6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    In late 1969, used to work for Bond Publishing that published Road & Track. I remember when the R & T editor, Dean Batchelor, owned a 340 Mexico coupe but by that time it had a Ferrari engine. I am presuming, researching now, that it was 0222AT though the list on that site that has SN listings doesn't list him as an owner. Is this the same car once owned by Guiberson that raced in the PanAmerican race in 1952 with Villoresi and Cornacchia?

Reproducing part of the list, I have a couple of misc. questions distinguished by CAPS:

54 - Charles Rezzaghi, SF, CA, USA "exotic cars" WAS HE A CAR DEALER?
    54 - displayed at Oakland Roadster Show by Rezzaghi C104 p6

54 - Phil Nixon, SF, CA, USA
    56 - Buddy Ramos, L.A., CA, USA
    5. - Chevy V8 engine installed

DID ERNIE REINSTALL A FERRARI V12? I AM SURE BY THE TIME IT GOT TO CHINETTI IT DID...

57 - Ernie McAfee, L.A., CA, USA "DTR 356"
    57 - Luigi Chinetti, New York, NY, USA
    57 - Bob Morgan Engineering, NJ, USA
    57 - Denny Cornett's International Motors, Louisville, KT, USA
    57 - Ed Jurist, New York, NY, USA
    57 - Bernie Morgan, Indianapolis, IN, USA
    60 - Jack Moore, Indianapolis, IN, USA
    61 - Phil Nixon, Chicago, IL, USA
    65 - Gonzales, L.A., CA, USA
    67 - Ted Testa, Chulavista, CA, USA C10 p12

80 - Jeff B. Lewis, Diamond Bar, CA, USA - 714-627-6131 80/nov - $68,500 - Jeff

THAT ENIGMATIC LISTING HAS A PRICE BUT DOESN'T SAY IF JEFF WAS BUYING OR SELLING. HE DOESN'T LIVE IN DIAMOND BAR ANYMORE.
    INTERESTINGLY RIGHT AFTER THAT IT SAYS
    "from Joe Alphabet/Jeff Lewis" AND LISTS AN
    ENGINE WITH THE SAME SN SO I AM RIGHT IN PRESUMING THAT THE MATCHING SN ENGINE WAS FOUND FOR THE CAR AT THIS POINT? ALPHABET WAS AN EXOTIC CAR DEALER BACK THEN
    IN NEWPORT BEACH

7. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Rezzaghi was an official Ferrari dealer in San Francisco.

Jeff

8. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Dean's car was s/n 0224 AT.

You are obviously searching for something (the identity of the car that you saw in West Hollywood in the early 1970s?). Why don't you just start a new thread instead of making a mess out of these older threads that have nothing to do with the object of your search?

9. Rosier

Rosier Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    McAfee died in 1956 !

10. emunoz167

emunoz167 Rookie

Nov 21, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
  11. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005