Chicago and Great Lakes Region events 2020 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chicago and Great Lakes Region events 2020

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by F1tommy, Dec 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    They cancelled the EAA Oshkosh event in July 2020. When Wisconsin starts cancelling everything you know 2020 is done!! I wonder if they will have any public events at Road America this year?

2. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Not at this rate of cancellations. This really sucks. And not just the car stuff, everything!!

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well they too can thank their governor: WI is 22nd in the nation as far as cases go but has the 3rd longest lockdown. Go figure.

4. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    what is the current on the ground situation in Illinois?
    Being stuck here in Mexico I have already cancelled two trips to illinois and I am eager to return
    The situation here is not great as many Mexicans(including the president)did not(and dont)take this seriously.
    Therefore there are a lot of unreported cases that continue to increase.

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    That’s sort of the point :)

JP365 likes this.
  6. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Similar to what Andreas was mentioning with WI, it's not too bad. They built up space at McCormick Place and had plans for additional space in closed hospitals (Elgin IIRC), though McCormick was scaled back and Elgin isn't even needed. Our projected peak is ~May 19th last I saw. The worst cases seem to have been at nursing homes which obviously have high-risk individuals close together. You're required to wear a mask now if you go out with the exceptions of exercising or where you can socially distance 6 feet. People seem to be getting on with their lives as much as possible, myself and others are still out for runs, bike rides, and such. Most restaurants offer carry out including several Michelin star restaurants which has been fun.

We're supposed to be reopening to some degree June 1st, I don't see that date moving any further. People are ready for some normalcy and it seems pretty under control here in Illinois. I wish our mayor would reopen the lake front path and the harbors though.

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This!

8. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    While I agree generally with this summary, I wouldn't say we have it under control given that yesterday was the highest total of new cases yet. The problems overall include (1) we don't know enough about it to really have a handle on the spread (although it's clearly more contagious than the flu); (2) we don't have effective treatments available as with the flu; (3) we don't have enough testing, either for the presence of the virus or for antibodies, and therefore don't really know how many people are infected or when it's safe for them to not social distance any more; (4) we don't have a vaccine and won't until January at the earliest.

OTOH, I get that we can't stay like this indefinitely or even until we have a vaccine, the economy can't handle it and people won't put up with it. It's a very tough situation and will remain so until we have adequate testing.

9. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    It's had the opposite effect. Grant Park is now more crowded because people can't utilize the lake front paths. The number of people out there isn't going down but the amount of places to go are. If they want to have CPD bike patrol the path to ensure there aren't crowds that's fine, but people should be able to enjoy what Chicago has to offer and can do so in a safe manner. I hope it gets opened ASAP

10. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    To clarify, by under control I meant our hospital system isn't over capacity and isn't strained, not that we have an understanding of the virus as you're correct in your response. They actually just announced they're closing up McCormick Place after treating only three dozen patients. I'm both glad that we set it up and that it didn't need to be used.

11. mlcor

mlcor Karting

Jul 21, 2018
    Fair enough, although if we loosen things up too much, too soon, the hospitals could get overwhelmed. I serve on the board of a local hospital, and I know they are stretched to the limit, not to mention trying to re-start normal surgeries, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Yes, absolutely. Not advocating for reopening of everything, wouldn't want to accelerate the spread of course. There will certainly be a balance between getting back to "normal" and controlling the spread which we seem to be doing.

mlcor likes this.
  13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    This again!

14. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    My wife is a middle school principal. She lost three parents to Covid-19 this week. One of her teachers was hospitalized three weeks ago. It is getting better, but we aren’t out of the woods yet.

15. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    wow!!!!!!
    those are some young people lost to this

16. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Her students are 12-14 y.o. so the parents aren’t that old. Maybe 40 y.o. if that. Very sad. Usually there’d be school social workers for the kids at school. My wife has online social workers lined up, but kids aren’t that receptive because the in person aspect is missing.

17. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    So Road America canceled the spring vintage race this weekend and the first motorcycle race is sans spectators. The June sprints and BRIC are still listed as happening with spectators. Has anyone heard otherwise?

18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    The Wisconsin judge is allowing open events so it looks like the Indy Car June race might be the first to happen. We will have to wait and see. These are open events with a lot of area so social distancing should not be a problem. I would not be surprised if they close all if not parts of the paddock to spectators.

19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    absostone likes this.
  20. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    FCA Summer Competitive Rally to Wisconsin Sunday June 14th. I had such a blast with my boy at last Octobers rally that I was excited to see this offered. Unfortunately Im getting a new driveway and the Dino will be trapped inside for a while.

21. Gkain

Gkain Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Chicago, Il
    Full Name:
    Gary
    We are signed up to go to this as well. You should go even if the dino isn't available. My son and I also had a great time last fall.

Gary

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

absostone likes this.
  22. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Do
    I take my minivan?

23. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Whipcity76 likes this.
  24. Gkain

Gkain Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Chicago, Il
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I would :D. I may not be going now. My sons school just rescheduled graduation for that day. I have to wait and see what happens.

absostone likes this.
  25. ShadowLAP

ShadowLAP Formula Junior

May 15, 2017
    SW Suburbs of Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Lawrence P.
    We'll family has to come first but if you can possible attend I know you will have a great time. The route is interesting and runs for 88 miles. Time to get last years fuel out of the car. You'll need a sharp eye to find the landmarks but the winners rewards are well worth it. Hope you can join us.

absostone likes this.