Chicago Auto Show | FerrariChat

Chicago Auto Show

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by FerrariFrank1, Jan 13, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Well,the Auto Show is just around the Corner. I believe that it starts on Friday Feb.11th.,and runs through the following Sunday,Feb.20th. You can check it out at: www.chicagoautoshow.com

I've attended the Auto Show since 1970. And,I have come to realize that the first Night and Weekend are Always the most crowded. Terrible! And,on the weekends,there are more kids who like to sit in the cars. The last Weekend is less crowded,and Weekdays are even less crowded...especially as the week wears away. And,earlier is definitely better.

Personally,I really don't need to see everything there. And,just can't walk the whole thing anymore. I always get a Sunday Tribune,the week before the Auto Show. And,in the "Transportation Section",they always have an "Auto Show Map and Guide" section,which shows a Floor Map of all of the Displays and Manufacturers,and any other "Special" displays. So,I just Highlight what I want to see.

Again,Personally,I mostly just want to check out the Italian Cars. Rolls/Bentley. New Corvette and Mustang. Maybe a few other Sportscars. Then,any other Special Displays,and upstairs to the Vendor area. Lots of Goodies up there.

Also,if anyone needs to be Renewing their Drivers License soon. THIS is THE Place to do it. They have an Illinois Secretary of State Area,and you can Renew your Drivers License there,with NO Line,in about 5 Minutes! You won't have to drive over to the Secretary of States Office,and wait...and wait...and wait... Take advantage of that if you are coming due.

I know that we had discussed getting as many of us together,and checking out the Ferrari's,etc...and eating at one of the Restaraunts,where we can discuss plans for 2005. But,IMO,the first weekend will be pretty crowded. And,the last weekend,(Saturday only) I cannot go due to a prior comittment.

So,if you guys can make it where as many as possible can get together,go ahead. I can do Friday Feb. 11th. during the day-afternoon. But,need to bail by 3:00PM-ish...And,that could be a really crowded day...? Also, I will be going during the Week. Any day works for me... Maybe even on Tues. Feb.15th.,which is my 45th. B-Day...:( And,maybe again on Sunday the 20th. If anyone else can make those days,let me know and I'll meet up with you there. Thanks!

2. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'm going to the "First Look"
    I went last year and had a great time... good food, lots of drinks, people are polite, no one stealing all the removable parts, etc... Maybe it was crowded, but I was several drinks into it, and hey... who cares??
    Anyone else?

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Is there any interest in getting together for the Auto show on Friday, February 11th in the afternoon? We could visit the Ferrari and FVM stands and have a bite together thereafter. I'm in.

4. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    I should be able to make it during the day on 2/11.

Chuck

5. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I'm hoping to attend on the 11th if I'm able to take the day off work... though I doubt I'll be visiting the Ferrari/Maserati area this year after the treatment I received last year from one particularly unpleasant rep who was working in there, apparently because of my age and my choice to wear something comfortable instead of a suit and tie.

At any rate, I'm always up for meeting other car enthusiasts.

6. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    I used to be upset by this and am still treated like it today: to which they won't give you the time of day. I don't really care cause if I were to wave the keys to my $50,000+ cars I think that response is even worse. At the same time I don't really blame some of the reps as I remember last year's show had kids kicking the side of a 996 GT2 and yelling, " Whoa, its like not made out of fiberglass. " You don't get the best people at such events. Certain cars should have a prestige label to them and be sort of off limits, to an extent. I think the 70 year old guy who made millions working 12 hour days starting some factory from scratch going for a cruise in his DB7 should not have face the wraith of some 28 year old yuppie in an Honda CRX calling him a wuss for not racing at some streetlight. There should be a hint something special to a Gallardo then some high school kid dumping a snow cone on the window to get a laugh from his buddies. The symbol of Ferrari has so much tragic history behind it to be called a dacning horse. So the booths should be a little restricted.

What has no excuse is the behavior of some of the reps. I can understand burn out factor as I had to work similar shows, but at least respond to people's questions. For every idiot who blurts to some high rep " The 612 looks like a hot dog, my pick up Chevy SST can take it," there has to be some 5 kids and young adults who respectfully ask, " So you really met Michael Schumacher? " Talk to the kid, the young guy. When mentioning the price leave out the snooty sneer and tone and have the sales rep add in, " but you look like the type who can make it. "

Its sad, the only time you will be close enough and get the inside knowledge about a real neat car is if you find a rare nice guy owner. Take Dave Bendl, I think he would be willing to let some 8 year old press the horn on his Boxer. He can also respond with not a line like, " Excuse me, but even without options it costs over $250K, " but more like, " Man, and she was screaming like a 1000 speakers on the way to Michigan." Put people like that in the booth. It will make the cars seem so much more special but you will still get to hear what you want to learn.

RocketBoy

7. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ahem, how did you know? It was red too btw...
    :)

If we have a nice little group together, I'm sure the good folks at Continental/LFSC and Mike at FVM will let us onto their stands without much hassle. Worked last year for Frank and me.

8. caps8419

caps8419 Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    michael
    Hey,

I'll be there the 9th or the 10th for the media days. I'm bringing the camera and shooting away! Hopefully I'll get some nice shots for FVM and maybe LFSC. I'll probably end up going with the general public when it dies down so I don't have to drag my gear all over with me. Anywho... I'll look for you guys there.

-Mike

9. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    How did you get this assignment? Can I be your sidekick?

10. MikeAR303

MikeAR303 Formula 3

Dec 23, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I was actually treated quite well by one of the reps who answered my questions about the Maseratis... and the problem with the other one wasn't so much that he wouldn't give me the time of day, but that the time he gave me was only to put me down. I believe "were you invited?" (nasty, "you don't belong here" tone in his voice after looking me up and down) was what caused me to leave the booth. I was tempted to ask him if he should really be sitting in the cars himself to give demonstrations wearing a $50 suit... but I held back.

I personally agree that they should answer anyone's questions though... even if they are high school kids or people who are honestly just curious. The attitude should be more along the lines of "who knows, maybe they will have enough money to buy our entire line of cars one day", rather than the "don't look if you can't afford to buy it" attitude that will most definitely leave a bad enough taste in people's mouths to scare them away from the brand entirely.

Anyway, I'll stop with the thread jacking now - sorry.

Hope to meet some of you at the show...

11. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I remember going to the Geneva Car show back in the eighties when Testarossas sold for a quarter million. My friend, who already had a 328 and was about to buy a TR took me with him. The Ferrari stand at that show was more like a fortress or an island: It was a huge square, elevated with a waterway all around it. The cars were in the center and the stand itself was double roped off on the outside and inside perimeter of the water. There was one small bridge that would give you access if you knew the secret handshake with the guard at the entrance. It was almost comical. And my ego tripled in size when my friend's presence caused them to "lower the draw bridge". I guess we still see some remnants of that time...

PS: He bought the TR right then and there.

12. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    And, and? You bought the 1:18? Don't leave me hanging, tell me you played out your Swiss charm and made them give you a loaner to try out.

To quote the King of my Fchat, Skip, " Aww, its too God-damn wide Frank!"

RocketBoy

PS: If work and wife permits, I will love to meet up for a food attack before or after.

13. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Well those were the days of long waiting period lists. So he bought it and then waited for a while. Actually he had the car shipped straight to a German tuning shop to turn it into a Barchetta. Crazy guy.

On the way home we encountered a couple of 308 so we had a nice little race going for a while.

14. caps8419

caps8419 Karting

Aug 20, 2004
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Full Name:
    michael
    Andreas,

Unfortunatly I already have my side kick so no can do... I have been doing some work for Mike over at FVM and have been thoroughly annoying him a couple times a month showing him pictures and ideas. I take pics of cars for fun/extra cash. My favorites are exotics. I don't believe I have given anyone on F-chat my card but I will when the weather gets nicer and the cars come out. Anyway, I applied at the autoshows website as a photographer and they approved it, so I'll be there and I'm hoping its fun. If anyone is going on a friday or sunday toward the end let me know.

Mike

15. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I can go on Friday the 11th. But,will maybe have to leave by 3:00PM-ish....? (Unless my Wife and Daughter can get a Ride and I can meet them later.)

I did have that Weekend wide open,but,my Daughters School Basketball Team has been doing exceptionally well this year. They have won nearly every game. This put them into position to be in a Big Tournament out in Marengo for that whole weekend...From Friday Night,(First game) to Sunday.

So,seeing as she is now in 8th Grade,and this may be their last Tourny of the Season.(and in her School that she's attended since Kindy.) We decided to make a Family weekend trip out of it. Instead of driving back and forth out to Marengo,IL.,over an hour away. We are just staying at a Hotel...With an Indoor Pool,but...:)...Most Importantly,a Big,Hot Jacquzzi!....:) My broken up old Skeleton LOVES Jacquzzi's !

So,I will be there at the Auto Show early,on Friday the 11th.(10-11:00AM-ish....) And stay as long as I can. And,I'll most definitely go again during a weekday the following week,if anyone else wants to meet up.

Yes,last year,Mr.Adam Mancuso of Lake Forest Sportscars was most generous and allowed us in to see the Ferrari's up nice and close. And get some great photos.

And,we can't forget our friend and fellow F-Chatter Mr.Mike Wogronic from Fox Valley Motorcars. He was there,too,at the Lamborghini/Lotus Display,and let us in to see those babies up nice and close.

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank

17. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hey guys include me in, I don't just chat rooms alot but Andrea or Frank call me and I'll go on 2/11. A great restruant off of 26'th and Wentworth is very reasonable, sandwichs and pizza -Ricabennie's?

Also game for the indoor cart racing

18. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Welcome to the forum, Rick! February 11 sounds like a plan for the Chicago auto show.

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Hey,Rick! Good to see you finally on FChat! Yes,will see you at the Auto Show.

BTW...A Reminder....If anyone needs to renew their Drivers License soon,THIS is THE Place to do it. They have a big 'Secretary of State' Booth set up there every year. NO LINES. Done in about 5 Minutes!

20. Daytona Rick

Daytona Rick Formula 3

Jan 23, 2005
    Windy City
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Hye Frank or anyone else, Anyone interested in the custom car show this weekend at McCormick Place?

21. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I usualy do go to that one,"The World of Wheels". But,cannot this Year....:(

22. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ok, so how about making some tangible plans? How does Friday, February 11th at 2pm sound?

We could meet at the entrance to the Marriott Hotel (taxi drop off) and take it from there. Check out the cars for a while and then head over to the bar for a late afternoon drink. Who's in?

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I will be there. Will be going Earlier though...10-11:00AM-ish....and stay as long as I can to meet up with everyone.

Also,if anyone is so inclined. I will be heading back there,probably the following Thursday,the 17th. (Which is Ladies Day,BTW) and looking around again. (Just the Cars....:) ) So,If you'd like to meet up,let me know,I will look for you. Maybe Lunch could be in order....(But,not much for me....You guys won't believe it,but it is Absolutely True. I have been on a 1000 and under Calorie per day Diet. With Vitamins. It is Tough. Lots of Veggies... But,I am doing it very successfully. I have lost 15 LBS. already in just over 2 Weeks! And,have gotten back into the Gym. So,there will be considerably less of me to Love by Summer time...:) )

24. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
  25. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Friday, February 11th at 2pm in front of the Marriott

Chuck
    Frank
    Rick
    Andreas

Depending on the time we can go for an early dinner or just drinks afterwards.