Chicago to LA drive | FerrariChat

Chicago to LA drive

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by cubbyman60, Jun 29, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Has anyone done it? Looking to do it in about 4 days (non F car). Any recommendations?
    Thank you.

2. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    I have In a Countach (believe it or not)
    Took highway 80 and it was extremely boring. If I had it to do over, I would take smaller roads or the southern route. It got good once I got to Wyoming and Utah.

3. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #4 JP365, Jun 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
    I’ve done it several times including once from California to Chicago in a 1971 Mustang. The southern route is “slower” but far more interesting. However, there are two problems if you plan to go this summer. COVID-19 and heat. Chicago down to New Orleans And then head west has a mix of boring and beautiful roads. If you go through St. Louis and then down to Austin, I find the roads less interesting but several good places to visit. If you head through Dallas/Ft. Worth, there’s a fair amount to see, but driving from Dallas to Austin is a pretty mindless drive, but Austin is great (if it is open). New Mexico is gorgeous. Carlsbad Caverns are worth a stop. Come into LA through Joshua Tree Park.
    The heat is another thing. Some areas of west Texas and New Mexico are still undeveloped and have poor cell coverage. Make sure you have plenty of water and your car‘s cooling system has been recently serviced.

tomc likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^Good points. If it were me, I would do Chicago to St Louis to OKC to ABQ to Flagstaff, short diversion to Vegas, from there on to LA...T

5. cubbyman60

cubbyman60 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2004
    LA
    Thanks for the responses. Interesting inputs.

I was thinking doing the "middle route-" going through Colorado. I think this is best for this time of year, although doesn't have the best landmarks. It avoids the heat as much as possible and COVID in the Southwest. It also seems to be decent time wise.

I was thinking:
    Day 1) Chicago to Lincoln, Nebraska
    2) Lincoln to Vail
    3) Vail to Vegas, or around Vegas
    4) Vegas to LA

Feel free to critique. Thank you.

6. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    While it’s been 20+ years since I’ve been to vail in the summer, I remember it as being beautiful and much more low key this time of year. Make sure you give yourself some time to hike/walk around. If you have time on your trip from Vegas to LA, Joshua Tree Park has a stark beauty.

7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I drove that route picking up one of my cars( 4200 GT Spyder) a few years back going the other way. Hit Colorado/Nebraska/Wyoming in one afternoon. Watch out for the Nebraska Highway patrol. You think you are in BFE but they are hiding behind the cattle :) Did not get caught, but had to test the brakes a few times.

8. Whipcity76

Whipcity76 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2015
    Florida, USA
    Full Name:
    Hugh
    Yeah, know about those NE highway patrol. There was a rumor of moving straw stacks, aka turkey in the straw. You’re moving along on I-80 doing 80mph+ and you swear that you saw that straw stack move. Well, don’t be alarmed, but they might be moving on you. I haven’t encountered this myth. The really big watch out is around Ogallala where I-76 peels of from I-80 to go to Colorado. Cops are busting Cannaabis Holders slipping through from Colorado.Now, my trek from Chicago to LA took me on Route 66. Lots to see on or off the route. If you run out of time, you can get-off onto I-40 and blast you way to LA.

9. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006