Child Seat in rear of 612 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Child Seat in rear of 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by asg612, Feb 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CatSailor

CatSailor Karting

Aug 8, 2005
    Indiana
    Full Name:
    Charles, MD
    This is incredible that this thread is this long, and not one person has posted the specific brand and model of either an infant seat w/ base and/or a child seat that fits in the 612 rear buckets here in the US (without having to take a Dremel to it) and also describes how it connects (seat belts vs Latch). Surely someone can post this information.

2. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #77 Bundy, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a Century and a Porsche brand car seat in the back of my 993TT about 11 years ago. The Century used a latch and the Porsche model was secured via the seat belt. Another pic of the Century in an M3 is below. I would imagine that a 612 has a bit more room than the Porsche, no? I'm sure car seats have come a long way since then, but if not, I can recommend the Porsche model as a very narrow unit.

The kids continued to enjoy the rear seat after the child seat days, but alas, they can't fit back there any more! Good memories. :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    #78 Bundy, Jul 16, 2011
  4. BusDriver

BusDriver Formula Junior

Mar 30, 2004
    Northeast USA
    #79 BusDriver, Jul 16, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
    The California child seat picture overstates the amount of legroom back there. Kids with legs that hang off the seat will have a hard time, unless the front seat occupants are 5' 6"

5. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    The OP is looking for a solution for a 612

6. kris308

kris308 Rookie

May 31, 2007
    I am taking delivery of a 2005 612 on Monday. I am getting a 612 for the exact purpose of being able to drive my infant son in it. My only other 4 seater is a Hummer H1 (military), which is too violent of a ride for a small child. I bought Recaro baby seats (infant and next size up). I hope they fit! I will report back when I get the car and the infant seat in.

7. joba

joba Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    NY
    #82 joba, Jul 21, 2011
  8. ghardt

ghardt Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I wasn't aware Ferrari had produced a 612 spider.

9. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    It didn't. That's a Bentley Continental.

10. phil612

phil612 Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    UK
    Sorry but what has this got to do with a 612?

11. joba

joba Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2009
    NY
    Thought the thread was about car seats or booster seats that might work in a 612. The GTC has small tight rear seats. Its about the seat not the car.

12. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I did, too.

13. michael platzer

michael platzer F1 Veteran

Nov 12, 2003
    Austria
    Full Name:
    Michael Platzer
    I enjoy to take my wife and daughter to Ferrari meetings in the 456 MGT. Why should that be an abuse?

14. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Michael, I wish my Dad had taken me everywhere in a 456 or 612 when I was little! Some people just see life differently, I guess. Why else would you own a 4-seat Ferrari if not to share it with the ones you love? :)

15. kris308

kris308 Rookie

May 31, 2007
    I bought the Ferrari 612 three days ago. Today, I installed the Chicco Cortina Car Seat base and pop the car seat in, rear facing (which requires more room), as it is in my Wife's Mercedes and Lexus SUV. It fits fine in the Ferari 612! I bought a Recardo Pro Ride to install tomorrow, but I am using the Chicco tonight. My wife can sit behind me, or in the passenger seat. I am 6'3 and she is 5'5.

16. kris308

kris308 Rookie

May 31, 2007
    The Recaro ProRide and Recaro Como g2 baby seats fit perfectly in the 612! Also, the Cybex stroller fits in the trunk great and does not require a baby car seat for infants. So, that is the perfect setup / solution for anyone else who may want to get a Ferrari 612 and use it as a family car with very small children. My wife and I were out in the rain every day since we got it with no slippage at all. The wet weather traction control is amazing. I wouldn't even know it was there!

Ferrari 612 = Great Family Car

Now for a tubi exhaust and some challenge wheels..
    ;-)

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    #92 tazandjan, Jul 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
    Kris- Get a Kreissieg for a really outstanding sound. Or a factory HGTC/S exhaust.

599 monolithic (Challenge) wheels fit the 612 perfectly and get you an extra inch of width at the rear.

Taz
    Terry Phillips

18. popsmuf

popsmuf Karting

Jun 20, 2006
    SoCal
    Hi Kris

Haven't been posting much as I've got a 5month old and also enjoying the 612 like you are

FYI, I'm using the Recaro Prosport. Doesn't fit perfectly in the back as the buckets dip too low, but I rigged up a "base" to fill in the bucket. When you grow out of the Proride, you'll need to make that mod

Isn't it great to ride 4 in the Ferrari? I get the WTF looks all the time from people while I pull out the stroller and 2 kids from the 612.

Enjoy in good health!

19. kris308

kris308 Rookie

May 31, 2007
    Thanks Terry!! I have the Kreissieg exhaust in my Lamborghini. I LOVE IT! I was thinking if going Tubi in the 612 for more of the Ferrari sound. Kreissieg is very accurate to the Formula 1 sound, which married the V-10 in the Lambo perfectly! I've always thought Tubi Style is the standard for Ferrari's?

Thanks for the heads up on the 599 wheels. That is exactly what I am looking for!!

I used some towels compressed to flatten the bucket and protect the seat, and I tried all 3 sizes of the recaro and they all fit. The bucket definitely needed filling, I forgot to add that part.

Yeah, I have already gotten some looks. lol. 2-door cars are safer than 4-door for side impact and the car has an aluminum frame, which is also safer in the horrible event of side impact.

Thanks!!

20. kris308

kris308 Rookie

May 31, 2007
    #95 kris308, Aug 20, 2011
    Recaro Proride with 3 month old son loaded in the Ferrari 612. Wife can sit comfortably behind me or in the front seat. Excellent!

21. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Just ordered a 'Bubble Gum' inflatabale car seat from Amazon for my 612. My daughter is 7. I'll post pics once I have it installed.

22. Dohangs

Dohangs F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Sounds great, Can't wait to see how it fits.

23. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    I ordered a Clek Olli too. Will let you guys know it all works out in the 612 in a few days when Amazon delivers.

24. jjmcd

jjmcd Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2004
    I've had a child seat installed in the rear of my air-cooled Porsche 911 for 1.5 years now (my son is now almost 3) and take him for rides whenever I can. He absolutely loves it. I found that I couldn't get the car seat tight (and therefore immobile) enough, so on the recommendation from a Porsche enthusiast website, I bought one of these:

Amazon.com: Sunshine Kids Mighty Tite: Baby

It works great. No affiliation with the seller or the manufacturer.

25. F12Berlinetta

F12Berlinetta Karting

Apr 7, 2012
    M5shiv, you mentioned ordering the Clek but not receiving it yet. Let me relieve you of the anticipation -- the Clek does not fit as designed, at least in my 612. With the arm rests, it is just too wide to seat properly into the deep bucket back seats. However, given that it is just a booster and not a car seat, what I did to alleviate the problem is to put it into the seat backwards. In this position, the Clek does not mount to the car, which may or may not be an issue for you, but it does seat into the deep bucket very securely and allows my two kids to fasten their seatbelts without much effort. I'd prefer if I could use the booster as designed and mount it, but given the lack of other booster options, I'm ecstatic to have a workaround with the Clek that enables me to enjoy the car with my two young sons.