Chinese 2018: Pre-Race news | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Chinese 2018: Pre-Race news

Discussion in 'F1' started by jgonzalesm6, Apr 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275gtb6c

275gtb6c Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2006
    europe
    Full Name:
    oscar
    Thanx! Isn't it wise to change the gearbox than anyway after a DNF? (and the engine and turbo etc....?)

ciao
    Oscar

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    For all the complaining about the current crop of F1 cars, I think we all have to admit that these vehicles are seriously purpose-built for speed given the restrictions. Highly advanced machinery, even if I prefer the visceral sounds of the cars from past generations.

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  3. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    daytona355, stavura and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  4. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Great photos Joe...... thanks very much. Some of the detail, there mus be teams paying you to get hold of them surely!

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The smiling assassin....... keep your friends close, enemies closer.... down to a tee....... round two ding ding

jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    When a smile isn't really a smile....

Honestly, Max drives like LH did back in 2010/2011....only focused on making the past regardless of impact to the driver being passed. He just needs to temper that drive with a better sense of opportunity and he'll realize his tremendous potential.

I agree, the next time he and LH meet at a corner, he will do the exact same thing. That's what that "smile" is saying.

7. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    So if no gearbox change is allowed, Who policies the gear ratio change? Every different track requires different ratios. The gearbox case is the only thing required to stay?

8. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    The gearbox is sealed with FIA marked safety wire. Going in to change ratios would require breaking the seal. Not allowed.

9. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    There's no more ratio changes. I believe 1 change per season is allowed (but it does mean either changing it after usual 6 race cycle, or be lucky you retired the race before and get a free gearbox, or you get a 5p penalty).

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    That smile says it all...he knows he has Lewis worried. Not the first time he's overtaken him...;)

daytona355 likes this.
  11. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    All I can say is "Seb bring on the hat trick!!!!"

daytona355 likes this.
  12. PDX_214

PDX_214 Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    J
    The seal can be broken with no penalty under FIA supervision to change some parts:

https://www.fia.com/regulation/category/110
    "9.5.2 In this context the following parts are not considered part of the gearbox and may be changed without incurring a penalty under the F1 Sporting Regulations. If changing any of these parts involves breaking an FIA applied seal this may be done but must be carried out under FIA supervision :
    a) The clutch assembly and the power unit output shaft, provided this is located prior to any mechanical speed reduction from the engine.
    b) The clutch actuator and clutch release bearing(s).
    c) Inboard driveshaft joints and seals but not their housing if that housing is integral with the gearbox output shaft and therefore part of the sprung mass.
    d) The hydraulic system prior to the point at which it produces direct mechanical movement of the gear selection mechanism by means of hydraulic actuator(s).
    e) Oil, oil pumps, oil filters, oil seals, oil coolers and any associated hoses or pipes.
    f) Electrical sensors, actuators, servo valves and wiring.
    g) Any parts associated with the suspension or functioning of the sprung suspension that are attached to the gearbox casing.
    h) The rear impact structure provided it can be separated from any gearbox casing.
    i) Any other component mounted to the casing whose primary purpose is unconnected with the transmission of power or selection of gears."

daytona355 likes this.
  13. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I can't believe they are not allowed to change ratios?

14. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
  15. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    It's been like that for a few years now. Cutting costs and all that nonsense.

[​IMG]

16. Lucky Jones

Lucky Jones Karting

Sep 17, 2015
    Manteca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ^^ THAT, is my favorite thing ever!

EEK!!

BMWairhead likes this.
  17. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Thanks for the in-depth response. I was lazy and meant to imply that gear ratio changes are not an allowed reason to break the seal. I left out a lot...you filled it in.