Chip Shortage Impact on Ferrari Production? | FerrariChat

Chip Shortage Impact on Ferrari Production?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by gw32, Feb 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Does anyone know what, if any, impact the global computer chip shortage is having on new car production at Ferrari? The WSJ has reported on this several times and on Friday they said GM's production in 2021 was going to be off by at least 20%. Other manufactures are telling of delivery delays and of prioritizing production of high profit vehicles over lesser ones.

I ordered a Roma in October and with all the new electronics in that model was wondering if its production was going to be effected. I was told to expect a summer 2021 delivery.

2. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I spent my career in semiconductors and while leadtimes are extended, everything has been affected by Covid so I suspect it is a myriad of issues. Squeeky wheel always gets oiled so Maranello is probably getting parts, just not as many as they would like. GM had a stipulation is every contract of $25k per hour downtime charge that was enforced so I doubt any of the semi folks want to play there.

3. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    A good question. They build less cars so if they already have a lot in stock they may be able to see production through without hiccups until chips are readily available again.

My guess would be that they operate under the just in time delivery and inventory management principle so they will likely suffer like other companies.

Another view is that although Ferrari is small their parent company is major so perhaps their buying power will mean they are not at the back of the line.

Either way I hope your Roma arrives in time for summer driving season.

4. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #4 Nospinzone, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Chip Shortage Impact on Ferrari Production?

Oh the horrors of first world problems. :D:D:D

5. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    In what part of the carburetor is this "chip" located?

6. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
    I really don’t know about the lead times on computer chips but I do deal with manufacturers on contracts with liquid damages “ not meeting supply dates” and we build in a time frame so that the impact will be manageable but with the way business is being conducted these days most companies work on “up to the minute” manufacturing which limits there need to have capital sitting around waiting to be used which is good till a problem comes A long I seen it before and will again and again
    I’m sure Ferrari will not have a big problem most of there controllers are build by Bosch and they are not reliant on third party companies for supply

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. gw32

gw32 Formula Junior

Apr 6, 2017
    Sonoma, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I think suppliers are invoking the "act of God" clause on their contracts. Even though Ferrari buys the components for Bosch, apparently third parties like Bosch is having supply issues as well.

polishhammer83 and Mimmo Blue like this.
  8. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Lead times under normal circumstances the last few years have changed dramatically. It also depends on who is purchasing the components, the volumes and who they purchase components from, whether it is through distributors or direct factory sales. What used to be 8 to 12 weeks has more recently (pre-Covid) become 16 to 20 weeks. The decreased production life span of semiconductor components creates longevity issues for the electronic manufacturing industry who manufacture assemblies other than things like computers, phones , tablets etc, which are generally considered short life span and quickly obsoleted assemblies.

polishhammer83 likes this.